Sponsored By:

A G37 List I care not to be on

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
If the G37 makes a national list of the top stolen cars, then I think it is safe to say that it's not just a local issue. Certain cars may be more popular targets of thieves in some areas, but for the most part a popular car to steal is popular everywhere. And any time a car is a popular car to be stolen or a popular car for kids who like to street race (and get involved in the inevitable crashes), then it's a safe bet that the car will go into a higher risk category, which means higher insurance rates for most owners in most locations.
I'm just speaking from experience. When I've moved with the military to different states around the country my insurance has gone up and down based on the location and for different reasons in said location (sometimes it's wx related, sometimes it's b/c there are higher crime rates, etc)
Old 08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GianG37x
Geico in NYC, raised my rates about 200 bucks for the year just because of that stupid study they did. i had no accidents or points or anything.. i was paying about 875 per 6 months full coverage 100/300k and all that good stuff now im paying 975 per 6 months.. they said my our is just that popular among thieves erghhhhhhhhhhh
They are taking extra $200 from you. Did they mention who is the real thief?
Old 08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
read my post in the other thread, it is possible, just not prevalent

snopes.com: Code Grabbers and Remote Keyless Entry

Snopes dispells the myth. Is it technically possible? Maybe. Does it happen? Not on modern cars...not worth even trying.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
MSCA
Banned

I'm just speaking from experience. When I've moved with the military to different states around the country my insurance has gone up and down based on the location and for different reasons in said location (sometimes it's wx related, sometimes it's b/c there are higher crime rates, etc)
Yeah, I agree with that. But that's not because of the car, it's because of the location. Of course if you move and you take your car(s) with you, chances are your insurance rates will change. Those are two big factors when it comes to car insurance rates: location and the vehicle being insured.

If a car is deemed a high risk because it is more like to be stolen and/or crashed, then the higher risk category equates to higher insurance rates. Or if I move from upstate New York and take my G37 with me to Newark NJ, then my car will now be in a higher risk area, which of course will mean that my insurance rates will go up.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

^yeah that's exactly what I am saying. My car is registered in TX but it is always INSURED in whatever state I am living in at the time and based on the different factors of that state/county the insurance rates will/have go up/down
Old 08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by abice
i don't know about you guys but isn't that why we have such a sensitive alarm system in our 40K cars!!!!!!! i mean come on i think mine went up a little too but i'm not positive
Sensitive? Our alarm isn't good enough. I just called local and found out that we cannot add a proximity detector to the stock system. We need to buy an alarm that supports it I was told. I asked also if it will work with the original stock alarm system and was told yes no problem. I think ill be looking into buying this soon.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:58 PM
MSCA
Banned

^yeah that's exactly what I am saying. My car is registered in TX but it is always INSURED in whatever state I am living in at the time and based on the different factors of that state/county the insurance rates will/have go up/down
When I was younger, I used to register my car in Florida (my parents have a second house there) just because it was so much cheaper to insure. But I always lived in NY....so I was running around with Florida plates on a car that was in NY 99% of the time.

Now I don't bother anymore because my insurance rates are really cheap, even for NY.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

When I was younger, I used to register my car in Florida (my parents have a second house there) just because it was so much cheaper to insure. But I always lived in NY....so I was running around with Florida plates on a car that was in NY 99% of the time.

Now I don't bother anymore because my insurance rates are really cheap, even for NY.
I'm registered in TX so that I can change my state residency to TX and therefore don't pay state income tax

But my insurance is based on whatever state I am currently living in, even though I'm a "resident" of TX
Old 08-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I think most of us know what we can do to lower the chances of our prized cars being stolen. That includes parking in well-lighted and safe areas, locking the doors and keeping it garaged (if possible).

But there are a few things we can do to help getting the car back if stolen, which may help with both general and one’s own insurance rates. One is installing a GPS system like LoJack, and the other, if you’ll excuse an old controversy, is having a front license plate on the car. I know it may be an unpopular notion around here, but is does make it easier for cops to spot the car if observed in opposing traffic, which is the main reason most states require them in the first place.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM
MSCA
Banned

If my car gets stolen, I don't want it back.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
If my car gets stolen, I don't want it back.
I understand. As discussed in other threads, it’s a personal choice. For me, if I get it back quickly where no damage or dismantling has been done, I want mine back. That’s one reason why I have LoJack with its early warning feature.

I would also be concerned with getting reimbursed from insurance only what the car was worth at the time of the loss. So then I would either have to fork up an additional $10,000 for a new one, or buy a used ’08 that I know nothing about and that most likely wasn't cared for as well as I care for mine.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was driving around in Cali for 2 years with a Georgia plate on my G35. Cheap registration/insurance, dark tint all around, no front plate. I got pull-over few times, went to court one time but there was nothing they can do about it.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
LightningG37

Hmmmmm My State Farm went up $6.42 this month because of some "FHCF Assesment",...wonder if it's the same thing.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 PM
ECain18

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
its a good thing i have GAP insurance then....
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
KhaldeanHabibi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gamedog
Thats it.

I'm buying a Volvo.
hahahahahahahaha

Last edited by KhaldeanHabibi; 11-12-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: A G37 List I care not to be on