Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Finally got my car back!!! BUT...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally got my car back!!! BUT...

After 3 weeks of separation anxiety, I finally got my car back from the body shop. Everything looks fantastic. I do have one complaint though.

For those of you who don't know, I needed to get my front left fender and driver's side door replaced. Now, when I close my door, the sound when it shuts is much louder than it was before. Definitely sounds a lot different compared to the passenger's side. It almost like I'm shutting an old truck door. I'm guessing it has something to do with the latching mechanism, and I'm wondering if there's a way to get it adjusted so it won't be as loud (some sort of dampener perhaps?). It's not the end of the world for me if I can't do anything about it, but it's sure bugging me for the time being.

Any input?
Old 07-31-2010, 02:25 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Well the only thing I can think of is to perform the window reset procedure just to make sure it's not hitting when you close it. Put a little grease on the latching mechanisms.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:47 PM
davv1215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics?? Before and after.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:35 AM
chasemyaccord

Before:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ast-night.html

Don't have any after pics except on FB...but you wouldn't be able to tell that anything happened to my car in the first place.

As far as window reset, I don't think it'd do anything since it's not coming from there. I'm pretty positive it's the latching mechanism. Don't know if grease would solve the noise problem, but some sort of dampener or something may do the trick. I'll take it in tomorrow and find out..
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Black Night

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think they actually put a new door on it they probbably put a new skin on it and if that's the case it will never be the same .No matter how good of a job they do once a car's been hit it's never the same
Old 08-02-2010, 03:29 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In the service manual there are very specific fitment and adjustment requirements for the door hinges and lock striker plate. Based on the damage to your door and how it happened it's likely that the hinge area was affected and may be slightly out of spec even after the repair. You should bring this concern to their attention and see if they can further adjust the door fitment. The result may be that's the best they can do.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
In the service manual there are very specific fitment and adjustment requirements for the door hinges and lock striker plate. Based on the damage to your door and how it happened it's likely that the hinge area was affected and may be slightly out of spec even after the repair. You should bring this concern to their attention and see if they can further adjust the door fitment. The result may be that's the best they can do.
Thanks, I will try bringing this up to them when I take it in.