Sponsored By:

HELP!!! I killed my car w/ the Grill DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:13 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! I killed my car w/ the Grill DIY

WTF, i just killed my car doing the grill removal DIY, i just finished putting it back together and now my car won't start, doesn't want to turn over, kind of like if it's got a low battery (but it dont) I must have ****ed w/ the cables (i was pretty sure i was being gentlle) anyone know what the thicker cables are for??? (not the hood release ones) I'm going to start taking it apart now. Anyone got an idea what happned???
Old 07-25-2010, 03:27 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you unplug the battery and forget to hook it back up? Or drop something into the engine bay? I can't think of a single reason the car wouldn't start start just from taking the grille out, there are no essential systems or electronics or anything in that area
Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Did you unplug the battery and forget to hook it back up? Or drop something into the engine bay? I can't think of a single reason the car wouldn't start start just from taking the grille out, there are no essential systems or electronics or anything in that area

I got the radio playing right now, and no i did not drop nothing into the Engine bay. Maybe an ECU flash, unplug battry to reset the comp?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:39 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

Update: now the car is acting funny, turn on the lights and it just killed all the electrical power, put the light switch to off and the fog lights stayed on, its tripping *****, i'm thinkig of unplugging the battery now
Old 07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

I would just unplug the battery and let it sit for an hour or so. Then hook it back up. That almost sounds like something got crossed somewhere but there is absolutely nothing electrical about removing the grille that is what's so weird.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no idea how you would mess up your electrical system by removing the grill. but I would do what other ppl said and disconnect the battery for a bit. if not, always the dealer
Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Clutchr6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you remove the bumper to get the grill what else did you do?? I would pull the fuse to the headlights to see if it goes away maybe you knicked something
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM
xyz
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PeTeToTe
Update: now the car is acting funny, turn on the lights and it just killed all the electrical power, put the light switch to off and the fog lights stayed on, its tripping *****, i'm thinkig of unplugging the battery now
Sounds like what happened to my car when my battery went bad. Our cars have a notoriously bad battery caused by a bad ECM I think . . . Dealer fixed mine under warranty.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:37 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by xyz
Sounds like what happened to my car when my battery went bad. Our cars have a notoriously bad battery caused by a bad ECM I think . . . Dealer fixed mine under warranty.
only the 2008's have a problem with the battery if I recall correctly. The TSB only covers 2008 G37's and 2009-2010's were fixed before release
Old 07-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
were you listening to your radio while you were removing your grill???
Old 07-25-2010, 07:09 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

So i tried reseting the ECU that didn't work, the engine won't start, but i can get it to get power (start button twice, no clutch in) Ughhh...

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
were you listening to your radio while you were removing your grill???
Yes, but its not like i disconected anyting. Anyone know what that cylinder bellow is?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Weiboy718

So i tried reseting the ECU that didn't work, the engine won't start, but i can get it to get power (start button twice, no clutch in) Ughhh...

Yes, but its not like i disconected anyting. Anyone know what that cylinder bellow is?

okay, when you press the start button right, it'll crank a bit and then cuts off??? if that's the case then your battery is dead. trust me! get a jump
Old 07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
okay, when you press the start button right, it'll crank a bit and then cuts off??? if that's the case then your battery is dead. trust me! get a jump
Yeah, thats exactly what happens. I am hoping that is whats is wrong, it just freaked me out cuz it was too much of a coincident that the car has never done this to me and when i did this DIY it did. I'll try the jump when my one of my friends gets back ( what a day for everyone to be busy) : |
Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 PM
PeTeToTe
Registered Member

oh i checked the diagnostic it said there was an error in the control unit
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Weiboy718

oh i checked the diagnostic it said there was an error in the control unit
hahahaha! i know cuz that happened to me once already.

how are you checking your system? you have a scanner? for now, just try to start it back up and run it for at least half an hour before turning it off to give your battery some time to get recharged. after that scan to see if there's any trouble codes or cel which shouldn't at all.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! I killed my car w/ the Grill DIY