Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

08 Coupe issues/Infiniti Consumer Affairs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, that sucks. I was actually hoping I was the only one with this many problems.

Fortunately, I still have a ton of warranty left and I have found a lawyer who thinks it will be a slam dunk.

I finally got a copy of the factory engineer's notes regarding my car. Basically a blank page... They didn't check a single thing. No wonder they were so reluctant to give me a copy....
Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Ha ha, your car is a POS Oh wait....

All of the issues I've had are being called "normal", and the MONTHS of sitting in the service department is "normal" as well.

I had something special planned for Pebble Beach. I hired a plane to tow a banner just as Jay Leno was giving away a new '10 Coupe. On the advice of my lawyer, I changed my plans.

I did register infinitilemonlaw.com, and plan on having my whole story up soon including scans of work orders, pics, etc.

Oh, my rims are blistering at the center caps which is also "normal".....

PM me if you'd like, you can have your own page on my site.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Trader_J

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My experience

I was just trolling through here looking for the pics of the updated G coupe and ran across this thread. Let me you guys give my story and background because I found myself in the EXACT same position as you guys are now one year ago. It might help if I can give you my story. I never originally posted this due to the fact that I didn't want to freak everybody out and thought my car was an anomaly. Your stories were too similar too keep this under wraps though. So here you go. This is going to be long, better grab a seat and some popcorn.

(cue happy music like Homer Simpson in chocolate land) I leased a black G37S w/ the sport package (6mt) in Oct. 2007. I was happier than a pig in s**t when I took delivery. Great looking car that got lots of attention, pretty quick, limited slip, 19's, nice interior, blah blah blah. That was the good part.

My journey down the crap rapids began in December of that year when my transmission went out with only about 1k miles. It started with a gear whine and quickly turned into a supercharger-like howl and the shifts became hard to engage. It was replaced, apparently an input shaft bearing went kaput and they re-did the whole thing. Ok, no biggie if it is fixed. Within a month after though, I got the dreaded muffler rattle. I had to bring it to the dealer 3 times to duplicate the issue. I was one of the first people in the country to get this problem as they said at the time. Once it was rattling like a coke can in a garbage disposal, they saw it fit to replace. Ok, no biggie again. Then two months later, again the same issue. Brought it to them 2 more times until replaced. Originally said they don't have a fix, that I must drive it like that. I didn't like this reply and stated they needed to take a muffler off of a car in the lot and give it to me. They did it, ok again. Over the next two years, the muffler would go out three more times. Three more times for a total of five mufflers. Over that same time, the new transmission started to get louder and louder. The same gear whine reared its head, just not as loud as the original issue. That is when I became familiar with the term that all Nissan dealer folks use, "It is a characteristic of the car." I would reply under my breath that it is a characteristic of a pile of (fill in the blank here).

To sum up my issues, they were as follows (if dealer said characteristic of the car, I'll use 'COC'. I think that acronym is fitting for what they acted like):

-transmission replaced w/ 1.5k miles
-transmission continued to be an issue (COC)
-muffler replaced 5 times (COC?!)
-gauge cluster rattle/peeling, replaced
-driver side door trim coming off the door near mirror, dealer replaced
-engine knock issue, dealer did ester oil 'fix', never disappeared (COC)
-loud rattles on start-up, dealer told me to beat it (COC)
-passenger side power window issues, dealer fixed
-steering column issues, loud vibration traveling to steering wheel (COC)
-loud AC compressor noise on slow speeds, dealer could not dupe
-some others that I can't quite remember, it has been a while

I leased the car from Oct. 2007 through Feb. 2010. The main issues which drove me bonkers were the muffler, transmission, and the engine knock. I originally went to Infiniti consumer affairs in early 08' to bitch about the muffler stuff. I asked for a loaner to until they get a fix for the muffler. After not getting a call back for two weeks (sound familiar?), they said no. They described it as a cosmetic issue that doesn't effect drivability (no, just my psyche). I would eventually contact them about five more times over the next two years. Every time they would tell me to shove it in a nice corporate Nissan way. I had engineers come out and 'check' the car, no issues of course (sound familiar again?). I was losing my mind. My final two contacts to them contained a request to take the car off of my hands. I didn't want to break the lease, I just wanted an equivalent car that didn't have these issues. I would keep my lease terms as is. I wasn't trying to screw them. Give me a G37 sedan (which was way cheaper at the time per carsdirect.com $38.5k vs. $32k) and we'll all be happy. At the time of my first new car request, I was on muffler number 3. They declined this request on the grounds the muffler issue hadn't happened enough. They were being COC's. After mufflers 4 & 5, now I thought I had a case. I went to them, requested their arbitration bs that is printed in the owners manual. They said they will get back to me in a week..............long pause......... They got back to me three weeks later after I pestered the crap out of them to give me a decision. They said, "The team in charge of reviewing the cases has determined that no financial or physical recourse is due to you in light of the 'minor' issues'. I pleaded with them that I don't want to lemon this car or sue them but I will be forced to. They didn't budge. I stated very calmly that they will regret this and that I will never purchase another Nissan product for as long as I live (note to self - correct unless it is a GTR). I told them 'they have now made an enemy out of me' and hung up.

Now I was pissed. I went through all of the things I could do:
-create a website like G37lemon.com or a blog (pointless)
-drive my car into the front windows of the dealer (criminal and dangerous)
-drive my car into a canal w/ scuba gear on (see above reason)
-break the lease for a loss ($4k negative at the time)
-try leaseswap.com (seems like a pain)
-stop paying (stupid)
-lemon law (hmmmm)
-lawsuit for breach of warranty (hmmmm)

After reviewing my options, I went with the last two. My thoughts were that if I was going to be stuck with the car for the time being, I was going to hit Nissan in the pocket. I looked at the lemon law stuff for Florida. It seemed like promising thing except that I didn't start the process as needed. You had to send an official letter to the company/dealer about the issue and they had to address it x amount of days, etc. Long story short, I had missed my window for this to be an option. I then looked at the lawsuit option and did a good amount of Google research. It seemed promising except for the legal costs and the possibility of a counter suit. I was kind of at a crossroads. I contacted some legal firms and made some inquiries. Most wanted a certain % of any judgment with a minimum of $2k retainer. I was also worried about the case blowing up in my face where Nissan could come after me for their legal fees as well. I was in no position time-wise or cash-wise to take them on like that. Finally, I found a firm willing to do what I wanted. I told them I had no real intention of suing Nissan, I just wanted to send a nice shot across their bow and to see if they bit. The firm agreed to collect nothing from me if Nissan didn't blink. They set their retainer to $2100 total regardless of what I got. If Nissan told us to shove it, they got nothing and I owed them nothing. I got the ball rolling. I sent them all of my service/repair invoices and let them know all of the date that I contacted them, etc. The firm then sent Nissan a letter stating that they will be sued for breach of the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act if they failed to respond. The firm requested a payment of $15k from Nissan to resolve the issue. This letter contained everything that ever happened. It even included a low air pressure reading in the tire upon delivery! I was kind of concerned that they were 'throwing s**t on the wall to see if it stuck'. I contacted the head of the firm to let him know I thought they were crazy. He calmed me down and convinced me to let them do their job. The lawyer and I both agreed that $15k was way high and that best case Nissan would come back w/ an offer of $2-4k to shut me up. If they came back w/ $3k, I would get $900 and the firm would get $2100. We waited.

About two weeks after we sent the legal notice to Nissan, I got a call from an individual at the firm. He told me the following: "Nissan is offering a settlement amount." I replied with, "OK, so where are we at?" He told me, "Are you ready? $13,200." I was speechless. This meant I got a check for $11,100 from Nissan. This basically paid for the car up to that time. The trade-off was that I had to waive my right to lemon, sue, arbitrate, etc any aspect of this vehicle. The warranty would still be in force. I took it, no questions asked. It was a happy ending for me. This was the crowing achievement in my life of fighting companies for crappy products or service.

I finally got rid of the car in February of this year. An Acura dealer offered to get me out of it for a push (no debit or credit due). I do miss the car in some respects, it really looked nice. The way Nissan/Infinity acted though left a bitter taste. I wish it didn't have to come to this, but it is what it is.

I hope this helps. If you want to explore the route I took, here is the contact/email for my guy (I'm not sure if he is there anymore):

Jeffrey Spiegel
Attorney at Law
Krohn & Moss, Ltd
120 W. Madison Street, 10th Floor
Chicago, Illinois 60602

jspiegel@consumerlawcenter.com

Feel free to reference my case #: F09013311A

Take care,
JK
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Thank you for your story. It was a good read, excellent plot, although the character development was a little weak

I'm traveling now, but I will contact the firm you suggested. There are way too many similarities, and they/you have already done the leg work.

Honestly, I would have been perfectly happy to pay out of pocket to "upgrade" to a different car. I was not however willing to take a beating by trading it in to the dealer. I refuse to take financial responsibility for their inability to provide me with a reliable car.

I will say my last straw was broken when the arbitration deptartment said "if you don't think your car is safe, just don't drive it..." Ok, but why am I paying for it? That was such a COC move on their part.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 AM
briann510

When all else fails and you no longer want it, can sell it or dealer cant fix it, make sure it has full insurance coverage and...... off the cliff....
Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
newg37
Banned

funny how you have all these problems but the nissan engineer/service tech couldn't replicate any of em. i think you might be one of those hypochondriac types or grossly exaggerating your story.

this is why i try to avoid the dealers for the little problems. knowing they will go in the engine and mess around and use powertools i wouldn't be surprised if they messed up something in your car after all those services and performing all those diagnostics.

i've met so many service techs and they all have the same ****ty personalities. they genuinely hate cars, working on them and they try to half *** everything so they can service more cars, faster and make the dealerships more money.

if you can sue them and get a few grand (provide your excessive services and it should be pretty easy to get them to settle) and then just trade it in and call yourself even.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
newg37
Banned

I contacted the head of the firm to let him know I thought they were crazy. He calmed me down and convinced me to let them do their job. The lawyer and I both agreed that $15k was way high and that best case Nissan would come back w/ an offer of $2-4k to shut me up. If they came back w/ $3k, I would get $900 and the firm would get $2100. We waited.

About two weeks after we sent the legal notice to Nissan, I got a call from an individual at the firm. He told me the following: "Nissan is offering a settlement amount." I replied with, "OK, so where are we at?" He told me, "Are you ready? $13,200." I was speechless. This meant I got a check for $11,100 from Nissan. This basically paid for the car up to that time. The trade-off was that I had to waive my right to lemon, sue, arbitrate, etc any aspect of this vehicle. The warranty would still be in force. I took it, no questions asked. It was a happy ending for me. This was the crowing achievement in my life of fighting companies for crappy products or service.
interesting, what's the point of the lawyers trying to get you 2k? knowing they take $2100 you would get nothing?

also, they came back with $13,200 which is pretty crazy considering it was a lease and they just paid your car payments for most of it. what did the lawyers take after that settlement, you said you got $11,100 from nissan almost makes me wish those lawyers took more out of you for their expertise!
Old 09-15-2010, 12:19 AM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

Originally Posted by newg37
funny how you have all these problems but the nissan engineer/service tech couldn't replicate any of em. i think you might be one of those hypochondriac types or grossly exaggerating your story.

this is why i try to avoid the dealers for the little problems. knowing they will go in the engine and mess around and use powertools i wouldn't be surprised if they messed up something in your car after all those services and performing all those diagnostics.

i've met so many service techs and they all have the same ****ty personalities. they genuinely hate cars, working on them and they try to half *** everything so they can service more cars, faster and make the dealerships more money.

if you can sue them and get a few grand (provide your excessive services and it should be pretty easy to get them to settle) and then just trade it in and call yourself even.
You might want to reread this thread. Both the dealer and the factory confirmed all of my problems except for one.... They just didn't bother with trying to find the cause. Reading comprehension rules

I have been traveling so I haven't had a chance to proceed with anything at this point. Fortunately time is completely on my side.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:04 AM
newg37
Banned

Originally Posted by bluecoupe

I really just want out of this particular car, it was just a bad build. Must have been a tuesday build after a 4 day weekend....
with gems like these who needs reading comprehension

brake squeal or rattle in the dash don't seem like issues that can't be easily corrected or even real issues at all. the acceleration "issue" can't be replicated by anyone except you so... COC???
Old 09-15-2010, 10:13 AM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

It is strange that there is another NHTSA complaint for the same acceleration issue... The dealer didn't try to duplicate it, they specifically told me they did nothing other than plug it in to CONSULT. The factory tech drove it for a bit and nothing else.

The brake squeal is causes by prematurely warping rotors, same with the judder. There is a tsb for it, and is easily duplicated. A tech an the factory rep both heard the rattle, they just don't know where it is coming from.

Oh and thanks for calling me a liar.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
PureNick

bluecoupe,

PLEASE do not waste your time on newg37. He has something to say about everything anyone says on this forum and can't seem to step outside of his bubble to realize just how much of an idiotic, immature troll he is.

I wish my previous run in with him where he got destroyed was still around but either the mods or himself deleted all his posts. You'd have a good 15 minute laugh. I'm thinking Sam took care of it. Again though, don't let his idiocy get under your skin.

All in all bluecoupe, I'm in the same boat as you and have done pretty much all the similar steps except I started with going to a dealers service manager and getting them to work on my side first. They have a better relationship established with their regional service reps than I do or will ever have taking the Infiniti Consumer Affairs route. Again, your situation is a bit different and past that point but just wanted to share my steps.

Has ANY progress been made to this day?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PureNick
bluecoupe,

PLEASE do not waste your time on newg37. He has something to say about everything anyone says on this forum and can't seem to step outside of his bubble to realize just how much of an idiotic, immature troll he is.
I concur.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:35 PM
newg37
Banned

Originally Posted by purenick
bluecoupe,

I wish my previous run in with him where he got destroyed was still around but either the mods or himself deleted all his posts. You'd have a good 15 minute laugh. I'm thinking Sam took care of it. Again though, don't let his idiocy get under your skin.

All in all bluecoupe, I'm in the same boat as you and have done pretty much all the similar steps except I started with going to a dealers service manager and getting them to work on my side first. They have a better relationship established with their regional service reps than I do or will ever have taking the Infiniti Consumer Affairs route. Again, your situation is a bit different and past that point but just wanted to share my steps.

Has ANY progress been made to this day?
they deleted my posts because you and your delusional friend (boy genius on a mission to upstage his boss' g35) were QQing all over the place.

go hang out on your favorite website freecreditreport.com instead of playing internet white knight because it's becoming really pathetic that you are still addressing me and airing your dirty laundry in other peoples' threads because you are such a salty scrub.

as i recall you are the guy who's wheels got stolen off his front lawn (epic pwnt) out of pure negligence and the same guy who boasts about your "multi-million dollar proprietorship" and 20 offices worldwide yet you drive a g37 and look for ways to skimp out on your end-of-lease penalty charges.

where is the ignore button?

Last edited by newg37; 09-15-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:12 AM
bluecoupe
Registered Member

I'm bumping a year old thread because I can. Long story short, Infiniti totally stepped up to the plate and I now own my 3rd G (4th Infiniti), a 2011 G37S convertible. They did the right thing and have earned a customer for life
Old 11-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Alkatraz

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Win!!!!!!!!