G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it possible to disable adaptive cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
I think some folks aren't proactive enough with it or have somenone pull in front of them causing their car to break. I've heard, but haven't tried, that you can apply you accelerator pedal slightly and this will temporarily cause the car to not break in that situation.

yup you just put on the gas and it will keep your speed. it is quite good it will almost bring you to a stop. i have tried this and it will slow you down to about 15km/hr and thewn it beeps at you to say " wtf hit your owen brakes dumb ***".
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
dooozie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control - visible braking?

I have a White Pearl 2008 G37S which I absolutely love. Since the 1st time I brought it in for service, I have asked several of the service reps at the Infiniti dealer where I bought the car, and no one had an answer.

When you are driving with the Adaptive Cruise Control on, and the vehicle slows (and brakes) for the car in front of you, do your brake lights turn on? Simple question, but no answers, so far. Anyone know?

#2 Question and/or problem. When I have the cruise control engaged, and start to go down a moderately steep decline on the highway, it won't hold the speed - it keeps going faster and faster. It will hold the same speed if another car is in front of me so the laser is working fine. They've checked it 3 times, but because there are no steep hills in Fresno, they can't test it correctly. I would have to leave it for several days so they can test it in the hills. What is a gal to do? Thanks, guys
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
1) I wondered this too so I tested it out. Yes, your brake lights illuminate when the ICC brakes automatically. If you think about it, it has to - sometimes the braking can be very sudden and it could cause a rear end collision if it didn't.

2) AT or MT? I have 6MT and have never had an issue with speed increasing when descending a moderate hill, I have felt the car cut the power to maintain the set speed. Of course if I'm descending a hill of any steep grade I don't use the cruise, so maybe I've never really tested it out, I cant remember.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:15 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dooozie
When you are driving with the Adaptive Cruise Control on, and the vehicle slows (and brakes) for the car in front of you, do your brake lights turn on? Simple question, but no answers, so far. Anyone know?

#2 Question and/or problem. When I have the cruise control engaged, and start to go down a moderately steep decline on the highway, it won't hold the speed - it keeps going faster and faster. It will hold the same speed if another car is in front of me so the laser is working fine. They've checked it 3 times, but because there are no steep hills in Fresno, they can't test it correctly. I would have to leave it for several days so they can test it in the hills. What is a gal to do? Thanks, guys
When ICC slows down, YES, the brake lights go on (I had my friend drive behind me and tell me). It does apply the brakes, and since the brakes don't know the difference b/w you and the ICC, the lights engage.

As far as going down hills...when I have the ICC turned on, my car will obviously slow on hills but when the normal CC is on (no laser), it will not brake at all (which is how it is supposed to work). If your ICC is not slowing on hills that seems something COULD be wrong, I will make sure to pay more attention next time I am on a hill, maybe I am just imagining things.

You said when you have the cruise control engaged...make sure the ICC is on and not just the normal Cruise Control, that MIGHT be the problem (not trying to insult intelligence at all, sometimes we simply overlook the simplest points)
Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
dooozie

Originally Posted by Black Betty
1) I wondered this too so I tested it out. Yes, your brake lights illuminate when the ICC brakes automatically. If you think about it, it has to - sometimes the braking can be very sudden and it could cause a rear end collision if it didn't.

2) AT or MT? I have 6MT and have never had an issue with speed increasing when descending a moderate hill, I have felt the car cut the power to maintain the set speed. Of course if I'm descending a hill of any steep grade I don't use the cruise, so maybe I've never really tested it out, I cant remember.
I agree it is only logical that the brake lights turn on. I would have thought the dealer people would verify it. Hmm.

Sorry, I don't understand what AT or MT is. There are a couple of downhills that I have to watch my speed carefully because I know there is a cop at the bottom with his pen and pad in his hand. Speed limit is 70 there so I set my cruse on 70. Before I know it, I'm going 85..... Whoa!

Thanks Black Betty
Old 08-09-2010, 06:22 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dooozie
I agree it is only logical that the brake lights turn on. I would have thought the dealer people would verify it. Hmm.

Sorry, I don't understand what AT or MT is. There are a couple of downhills that I have to watch my speed carefully because I know there is a cop at the bottom with his pen and pad in his hand. Speed limit is 70 there so I set my cruse on 70. Before I know it, I'm going 85..... Whoa!

Thanks Black Betty
lol

AT = Automatic Transmission
MT = Manual Transmission

Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
dooozie

No insult, no problem. I only use the ICC. But, actually, if I was using just the regular cruise control, it should also hold the speed whether it up or down hill. I know cars that I have previously owned (Toyota, BMW, etc) would do that.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Sounds like the hill you are descending is too steep for the cruise to control your speed. Downshift.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:46 PM
dooozie

BTW it is an automatic. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:02 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, I love my ICC so I don't get why you'd want to use the normal one instead. +1 for tech package!
Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Wow, I love my ICC so I don't get why you'd want to use the normal one instead. +1 for tech package!
sometimes you HAVE to use the normal CC. If there is thick fog, the ICC will automatically shut off. Or if the windshield wipers are on any setting faster than the first adjustable speed, it will shut off. Also, if you are on a long trip and the laser gets dirty it will automatically shut off.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM
MrMichael

Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
sometimes you HAVE to use the normal CC. If there is thick fog, the ICC will automatically shut off. Or if the windshield wipers are on any setting faster than the first adjustable speed, it will shut off. Also, if you are on a long trip and the laser gets dirty it will automatically shut off.
Also if you are driving into morning or evening sun and it is at that perfect height the laser will get confused. Had that happen once and took me a minute to figure out why cruise shut itself off.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 PM
G37SBS
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have few question about ICC ...

i try to set the speed for ICC and i can't do it..

I have 6 speed so which gear should i shift then turn on the ICC? or is it only works in 6th gear?

How good is the ICC? if someone cut me off in the high way the ICC will brake me immediately?

i'm sure it will not change the gear automatically when the car slow down tho right?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
advan37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by G37SBS

I have 6 speed so which gear should i shift then turn on the ICC? or is it only works in 6th gear?

How good is the ICC? if someone cut me off in the high way the ICC will brake me immediately?

i'm sure it will not change the gear automatically when the car slow down tho right?

any gear but speed should be above 35 miles (60 km) .
Old 08-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by G37SBS

It works in any gear. Cruise shuts off if you change gears though, you'll have to reset it.

Mine works fantastic. The only glitches have been when the sensor was very dirty. If someone cuts you off in your "following distance" the ICC picks it up instantly and brakes accordingly. If it's at the far range of the distance you have it set to and they are going almost the same speed as you have set, it brakes slightly to match their speed and then speeds back up as they do. If someone cuts you off really close or is going a lot slower it slams the brake hard.

If you have a manual, obviously it wont shift to a different gear, it's a manual transmission. You have to shift it yourself.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to disable adaptive cruise control?