Not getting any looks

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:09 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Fene
Yfrog Image : yfrog.com/0p350tsj

I'm competing with that
WOW! Your brother's Z is really cool. I want one!

Want to beat him? Go extreme. Buy this car and I guarantee you will get lots of attention everywhere you go:

I myself still prefer the G though.
Old 06-25-2010, 03:34 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverdina
Ok, maybe unique is the wrong word to use. Unique means one of a kind. Different is a better word or perhaps modified.

There's pros and cons to a modified car:

Pro: everyone knows it's your car :-)
Con: everyone knows it's your car :-/

It just comes down to what you like and your means to do the modifications.
This is a very good point. In some instances, it's not bad to just blend in with the crowd.

This seems to have turned into a modified versus stock argument. I don't think this is what was intended (Personally, I enjoy the debate, but I think there are a couple threads like that in here already ). I think it's fairly clear that, in keeping up with his brother, the OP wishes to modify his G.

You have to realize, however, OP, that the aftermarket parts collection available for the Z is far more extensive than that of the G - many more options and combinations for a Z. Also, keep in mind that opinion is subjective. Some of the "looks" your brother is getting may be looks of disgust, rather than praise or admiration. Maybe that statement is a litte extreme (there are certainly worse looking Z's out there). I don't doubt that your brother receives compliments on his Z, but personally - and coming from someone who has owned both a Z and a G, I would choose a tastefully modded G over that Z. I'd be surprised if I was the only one of this opinion. Modify your car in a way that will make you satisfied with it; not your brother and certainly not the strangers who give him a thumbs-up at a red light.

But if all you desire is an extra glance or a head turn - why not just paint your car lime green?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
koa789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
You might be pressed to find Phantom Ed GT30's, but any GT30 would be an improvement. The look from the back of 285's is sexy as hell. The drop, dude you have to try this.. the car will handle night and day better and that god aweful wheel gap will be history! Don't forget the exhaust and intake... baby shouldn't be so shy.. spank her some new pipes.. she'll scream.

We'd love to have you, granted you might not be unique in the world, but odds are.. you won't run into another identical G in your area anywhere near as frequently as you do now... and besides what really matters is that it would be YOUR G37 without a doubt.

Even if you did manage to clone mine.. I keep 6 flavor's of Smooth Cologne air freshener... Mine would smell different I assure you!
Just because the car is stiffer and lower does not = better handling. Believe it or not, a certain amount of body roll is good at times and some of that wheel gap is there for a reason. I'd love to get into suspension geometry with you right now, but this is not the thread for it. And if I want to look at 285s or wider on a car, I'll go take a peak in my garage and see my other ride with 305s on it from the factory. I never said your car looked bad, and I never made fun of it. I poke a little fun (all friendly and never mean spirited) at the fact you have a lot of "performance" mods, and yet you claim your car is for show. Handling doesn't matter on a show car. Acceleration doesn't matter on a show car. If you tracked your car once, and then you tracked a stock G37, you'd have a whole new appreciation for the amount of engineering that went into it. Either way, different people enjoy different cars in different ways. I love the fact I can take my g37 anywhere, and not worry about parking it next to other cars. I also don't have to worry about taking it out and coming out of Target and having 12 people standing around it asking me questions about it for an hour and asking for rides. To each their own. I have my once in a while cruiser, I got my DD, and I got my bike as a track toy. I put my money into the 1st and 3rd and leave the G alone lol
Old 06-25-2010, 05:32 PM
DmfG37sTT

As much attention you think you need it all comes with a price. 2%tint and a loud exhaust has gotten me several hundred dollers in tickets and other BS. Ive said this before in a thread similar to this. Did you buy the vehicle for everyone else or did you buy it for your own leasure? Its nice to get the attention but not when its the law comming down on your @$$
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
As much attention you think you need it all comes with a price. 2%tint and a loud exhaust has gotten me several hundred dollers in tickets and other BS. Ive said this before in a thread similar to this. Did you buy the vehicle for everyone else or did you buy it for your own leasure? Its nice to get the attention but not when its the law comming down on your @$$
Well said. When all the attention you’re getting is from the cops, it’s time to rethink your priorities.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by Chekov
Well said. When all the attention you’re getting is from the cops, it’s time to rethink your priorities.
You can have a tastefully modified car and not break any laws. And cops don't seek out cars that are modified. Biggest thing that catches their attention is speed, or perception of speed. And I don't mean a loud exhaust, I mean when a car is weaving in and out of traffic and getting ahead of the flow of traffic, an officer might stop you and write you a chicken **** ticket for tint or what not because he couldn't get a good read on your speed.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:48 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by koa789
I also don't have to worry about taking it out and coming out of Target and having 12 people standing around it asking me questions about it for an hour and asking for rides. To each their own.
I don't make the hard line you seem to want to choose... as i said before I'm not trying to build a race car or I'd have gone a different path with my mod selections we'll and actually a different car. And yea the priority is Show but with performance as well...Doh. You can do both you know and to varing degrees, that is kind of what the G37's all about now isn't it.. LuxSportCoupe. And yes sounding sweet is more important then HP with a hiss to me with this car..do you understand now? Oh but wait... I'm getting a Cobb pro tune next week... there I go again conflicting...lol. Perhap I've changed my mind and want to do 12 secs at the track or maybe it's just so my engine is optimally tuned for the asthetic AND performance selecitons I've made... we'll just have to guess here. You can have your cake and eat it too you know. As far as handling, I've driven both stock and modified, there's no doubt in my mind but if you want to believe Nissan stock suspension is superior your loss.

Back to the OP's topic.. you've proved his/her point.. nobodies going to look at a stock G we agree on that. No offense and that's fine if that rocks your world. Some people actually prefer the chick on the left.. she's available and cooks and cleans well.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 06-25-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:49 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lol I didn't get offended, I was just saying, if he's trying to be unique with his car, doing the same thing other people have done is not the way to go. No different than me deciding to stay stock, and comparing my car to another stock G37. I got my car as a daily driver, if I want to ride around in something louder, lower, faster, and more uncomfortable, I definitely have my pick. That is all.
This is all relative to your audience. A drop and some wheels may still be bland to the community here, but it can certainly wow a good portion of the general public. To the OP, if you want to turn heads, you need to do something to separate yourself from the pack. You might get a compliment from an average person every now and then, but pleasing a car enthusiast requires a bit more effort. Compare it to everyone who's buying an iPhone 4 right now. If I see someone w/ an iPhone 4, I would love to see it and ask questions about it. But sooner or later, when everyone and their mothers have one (which won't take long once the next shipments come in), it won't attract quite as much attention and you'll have to do things to it in order to stand out (i.e. skin, case, jailbreak, etc). Pretty much same concept w/ our cars. I used to get a lot more looks when I first bought my car (few months after release), but nowadays, not so much. It's a vicious cycle.

You can have a tastefully modified car and not break any laws. And cops don't seek out cars that are modified. Biggest thing that catches their attention is speed, or perception of speed. And I don't mean a loud exhaust, I mean when a car is weaving in and out of traffic and getting ahead of the flow of traffic, an officer might stop you and write you a chicken **** ticket for tint or what not because he couldn't get a good read on your speed.
Haha, well that depends where you're driving. Try Irvine, they'll pull you over for just about anything.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I certainly agree with all you’ve said. I’ve been advocating for a long time now that drivers should not do anything on the road to attract undue attention, like weaving, fast lane cruising or getting ahead of the traffic flow. But if you mean by tints illegal tints, that certainly is not helpful. However, that has been discussed many times in other threads.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:02 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
WOOOW where did this thread go!

Back on topic fella's, we have a whole different thread of stock vs modded and we heard all your opinions, if you have more to add, feel free to bring that thread back to life

In the meantime, how about this OP:

Park it next to your brother's Z then we'll see what's up
Old 06-25-2010, 07:07 PM
ruckus12251985

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just because the car is stiffer and lower does not = better handling. Believe it or not, a certain amount of body roll is good at times and some of that wheel gap is there for a reason. I'd love to get into suspension geometry with you right now, but this is not the thread for it. And if I want to look at 285s or wider on a car, I'll go take a peak in my garage and see my other ride with 305s on it from the factory. I never said your car looked bad, and I never made fun of it. I poke a little fun (all friendly and never mean spirited) at the fact you have a lot of "performance" mods, and yet you claim your car is for show. Handling doesn't matter on a show car. Acceleration doesn't matter on a show car. If you tracked your car once, and then you tracked a stock G37, you'd have a whole new appreciation for the amount of engineering that went into it. Either way, different people enjoy different cars in different ways. I love the fact I can take my g37 anywhere, and not worry about parking it next to other cars. I also don't have to worry about taking it out and coming out of Target and having 12 people standing around it asking me questions about it for an hour and asking for rides. To each their own. I have my once in a while cruiser, I got my DD, and I got my bike as a track toy. I put my money into the 1st and 3rd and leave the G alone lol
curious what car do you have in your garage that has 305's stock from the factory?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM
DmfG37sTT

Sorry Sam, didn't mean to get off topic. My point was that sometimes the attention you seek can also gain unwanted attention with the law. (This comes from my own experience.) It has left me with no other option than to take the tint off and throw a front license plate on the car.

On a positive side of things I have never been harassed for my taillight tint.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DmfG37sTT
Sorry Sam, didn't mean to get off topic. My point was that sometimes the attention you seek can also gain unwanted attention with the law. (This comes from my own experience.) It has left me with no other option than to take the tint off and throw a front license plate on the car.

On a positive side of things I have never been harassed for my taillight tint.
Ok, so you point is don't illegally mod your car... wait let me write that down..lol. Oh, wait... I seem to already have that down.. thanks though good to know.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by ruckus12251985
curious what car do you have in your garage that has 305's stock from the factory?
07 Gallardo in VI. They are actually 295s in the rear, I thought I had that extra 10mm, but I guess I don't. My apologies.

Last edited by koa789; 06-25-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
ruckus12251985

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn ur dad got money!!! what does he do if your dont mind me asking?