Sponsored By:

lease return.. need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Namir
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cruzmisl
They're in a business to make money. It's like trading in a car. You're getting hosed.
Yea but there isn't a huge market for a 30k dollar used 3 year old car. It's a very specific market and moves pretty slowly. If you can sell it on your own obviously you would likely get more, but sometimes your time and effort are worth more than the difference.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:55 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xcalibur
CarMax is a rip-off. If you sell it private you'll get thousands more fro your car. CarMax tries it best to give you the lowest price. If they see a MOD thats not stock/oem you lose money right of bat. But some MODS they dont see because they dont overlook every single thing. Also if you have an insurance record that shows the vehicle was in an accident you get 1,000-2,000 less of bat! Its a quick way to sell your car if you can live with the bluebook value purchase. I lost over $4,000 on my car selling to CarMax, but the tranny was breaking (haha they dint see that, bastards!!!!) and that would of cost me about $7,200 to replace. So I guess i came out ok.
That's the case with any new/used car business. I don't think it's fair to paint Carmax as a ripoff just because they don't give you the private sale price. That's why sites like Edmunds list both trade-in and private sale values. When you sell to an individual, they will buy it as is, drive it around and make repairs as they come. When you sell to a business like Carmax, they have to factor in reconditioning, marketing, any needed repairs and restoration before they can sell it. Carmax usually offers more than the average car dealership for used cars. You pointed it out yourself why they don't give you the private sale price. You traded in a car with a bad tranny. They have to go and either auction the car off or repair the tranny before selling. It's kinda ironic how you blame Carmax for ripping you off, yet you kinda ripped off Carmax and seem to be proud of it. Just my humble opinion.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:31 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
When you look up used cars, there is Retail (aka private sale or what a dealer will sell for), Wholesale and Trade In prices. Only been this way for say .... the last 30-35 years.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually carmax offered me 25k for my g37 whilst one of the dealerships i went to offered only 17k. That is a HUGE difference.

Selling privately can be a hassle too, which can sometimes take weeks or months to find a buyer and selling. I'm not saying carmax is giving me a good price, but i am taking a hit for the convenience of selling very quickly.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I lost over $4,000 on my car selling to CarMax, but the tranny was breaking (haha they dint see that, bastards!!!!) and that would of cost me about $7,200 to replace. So I guess i came out ok.
You didn't lose anything. You sold your car to a dealer for what they were willing to pay for it. If you wanted more, you should have sold it privately.

If you knew about the transmission problem and didn't disclose it at time of sale, that's unethical at best. You think you screwed CarMax, but you probably screwed the next owner when the thing finally failed right out of the 30-day warranty.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:34 PM
e46fanatic46

Originally Posted by hufington
You never know who is going to come. They arrange it at the HQ and depending on the agents' schedules. Ask for the same guy if you know his name. It wouldn't hurt to try. Good luck.
good advise
Old 06-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 15951
You didn't lose anything. You sold your car to a dealer for what they were willing to pay for it. If you wanted more, you should have sold it privately.

If you knew about the transmission problem and didn't disclose it at time of sale, that's unethical at best. You think you screwed CarMax, but you probably screwed the next owner when the thing finally failed right out of the 30-day warranty.
Could not of sold it privately when the transmission issue kept coming back!

Now its up to CarMax to overlook this car thoroughly they didn't because it was located in a s**t hole section of Miami where its a Third World Country and hire anyone of the street. Poor managment the factor? Probably. Eitherway its there responsibility to do this right. They didn't and kudos to me for that. When you buy a car from Carmax it has a limited warranty.
I'm sure the customer who bought it never paid to fix it and Carmax did.

What are you a car Insurance agent?.. Please!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

^^what??
Old 06-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Ooo Im the bad guy becuase I sold them a breaking car!?!

Give me a break! Every used car delaership including new rip us off all the time! If I could do it again Ill do it every day for the rest of my life. Damn right Im proud of it!
Old 06-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
CarMax is a rip-off. If you sell it private you'll get thousands more fro your car. CarMax tries it best to give you the lowest price. If they see a MOD thats not stock/oem you lose money right of bat. But some MODS they dont see because they dont overlook every single thing. Also if you have an insurance record that shows the vehicle was in an accident you get 1,000-2,000 less of bat! Its a quick way to sell your car if you can live with the bluebook value purchase. I lost over $4,000 on my car selling to CarMax, but the tranny was breaking (haha they dint see that, bastards!!!!) and that would of cost me about $7,200 to replace. So I guess i came out ok.

You also forget that private sales are not bound to the same laws that a retailer is. Do you safety inspect cars? Do you change fluids? Do you have to change tires/brakes when they get past a certain point (Perfectly good ones that are still functional, but too worn to be on a car to be retailed)?

It's an option that you don't have to take. Some people will.

It's simply unethical to not disclose impending major failure.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Mike
LOL!!!! Love it!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:51 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike
You also forget that private sales are not bound to the same laws that a retailer is. Do you safety inspect cars? Do you change fluids? Do you have to change tires/brakes when they get past a certain point (Perfectly good ones that are still functional, but too worn to be on a car to be retailed)?

It's an option that you don't have to take. Some people will.

I believe if you are aware of a problem, especially a reoccuring one you are obligated to tell the potential buyer. If you were taken to court over the issue and they could prove you knew and didn't disclose, you would loose that case.

Yes, there are lots of people in this world that are not ethical .... sadly.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Beer Magazine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carmax isn't a rip off they give you the trade in value. Just like a dealer. The only thing they won't do, or can't do is make you feel like they gave you more than it's worth by working it into a new car.

Most people who lease generally won't be in a positive equity situation..well unless you had a bad lease.

I had an issue with my BMW, and just went to another dealer. They took 15 minutes and didn't ding me as hard as the 1st place. Always tell them you are looking to get a new car there.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 PM
mw09g37

and this is why you don't mod a leased car...

even if you kitted the car to look like a aston martin, they can still ding you for it.

i mean your lease is ending soon? you don't have a lot of options. swap-a-lease isn't going to work, you'd have to buy the car to avoid any of the potential fees.

i mean all that stuff is going to be expensive to replace if you can't remove.

carmax is going to do the same thing, they can hella rip on your car if there's the slightest imperfection. they valued my previous car 30% below what I ended up selling it for. Though carmax won't say it's a big deal, they're already starting you off below blue-book.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 PM
08g37

how did my question go off topic ? all i wanna know from the people who were in the same position when you fixed or removed something from your car and called them up to check did they just come in to deduct the cost or did they also reinspect the whole car?

Quick Reply: lease return.. need help