Sponsored By:

Damn tree sap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 AM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn tree sap

Hey fellas,
I have a MW coupe which I tend to baby. One thing I hate are the small yellow specs of tree sap that usually appear on my damn car. I park my car in the garage when I get home so I know its not from there. So maybe the damn sap gets in the car when I am at work (maybe I should find another parking spot huh?). My questions is, how can I get rid of the residue left from the yellow sap? I use a a Bug, Tar, and Sap Remover, but that only gets rid of the hardend part. It seems as if the yellow tint of the sap is getting underneath my clear coat. When I wash the car and get rid of the sap, the yellow tint is still visible; however, only from up close. Any suggestions on how to remove?
Old 06-14-2010, 04:49 AM
KennethG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellow tree sap is annoying as hell. I just mop it with wet micro fiber towel as soon as I notice it.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:45 PM
mindonmatter

The only thing that I've found works great is Goo-Gone. The stuff is safe for your paint, but it will remove any wax/sealant you have on your G so make sure to re-wax/seal after using. Rubbing alcohol also works.

-Written by a guy who's driveway is blanketed by pine trees-
Old 06-14-2010, 06:06 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ohhhh I don't know about that Goo-Gone...although a lot of people say it's safe...

Stick with the Turtle Wax Bug Tar and Tree Sap remover, it works much better.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...at-it-did.html
Old 06-14-2010, 06:29 PM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
Ohhhh I don't know about that Goo-Gone...although a lot of people say it's safe...
I'm pretty **** about my cars. I've been using Goo-Gone for years and years for tree sap. If it caused paint damage I'd be the first to know and the first to tell you
Old 06-14-2010, 06:40 PM
mindonmatter

P.S. - I've tried that Bug and Tar remover on hard pine sap before. I might has well of been using water. It did nothing. I'm sure it works good on fresh sap though.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:42 PM
sunten1

OP/Or anyone at that matter

Does you have a picture of what tree sap looks like on the car? I think I may have some and not know it... I have random dime to quarter size discolorations on the hood and on the roof of my G. I will get a picture in a bit.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
mindonmatter

There would be a blob of sap that you could easily see and feel, not just discoloration. It would look like a hardened up drop of honey, maybe a little more yellowish. Sorry, don't have a pic.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 PM
yogregb

I get these all the time at work, small yellow spots, Hate that ****! I think they are pollen deposits actually, Most come off when washing , those that don't I spot hit with a little cleaner polish like mothers' or simular.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 PM
sunten1

This is what I am talking about. I rubbed my finger against it and I did notice it did have some roughness to it. I guess I will try that Turtle Wax stuff that was mentioned above. But I swear I ran this over with Claybar and it didn't budge at all....I will find out later this week....
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same here. I get these every once in a while and as someone mentioned, a clay bar doesn't do any justice to it. Weird. I've even tried paint cleaner and that seems to work but I have concentrate on that little spot forever. I use a microfibre clothe as well. If if wasn't for that I'm sure I would have scratched my car by now. I hate that crap. I had no idea what it was.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 PM
wlmngtn

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KennethG37S
yellow tree sap is annoying as hell. I just mop it with wet micro fiber towel as soon as I notice it.
I am going to give that a try. I am going to carry a water bottle and microfiber towel in my car daily, making sure to remove as soon as I see. The thing is, I have so many in my car. Could it be that because my parking spot is located right next to a nursery? Those guys are working and moving their plans, tress, flowers, etc. all day and my car is right next to it.

Originally Posted by mindonmatter
The only thing that I've found works great is Goo-Gone. The stuff is safe for your paint, but it will remove any wax/sealant you have on your G so make sure to re-wax/seal after using. Rubbing alcohol also works.

-Written by a guy who's driveway is blanketed by pine trees-
I havent tried goo gone, was going to but Autozone didn't have it.

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord

Stick with the Turtle Wax Bug Tar and Tree Sap remover, it works much better.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...at-it-did.html
You know, I actually purchased that product because Goo Gone was not available. Although it does get rid of the hardend sap, it will still leave a yellow tint which seems is under the clear coat.

Originally Posted by yogregb
I get these all the time at work, small yellow spots, Hate that ****! I think they are pollen deposits actually, Most come off when washing , those that don't I spot hit with a little cleaner polish like mothers' or simular.
What color is your car? I am definitely going to try that. The only thing is that by the end of the week, my car has at least 15-25 yellow specs.

Originally Posted by sunten1

This is what I am talking about. I rubbed my finger against it and I did notice it did have some roughness to it. I guess I will try that Turtle Wax stuff that was mentioned above. But I swear I ran this over with Claybar and it didn't budge at all....I will find out later this week....
Well, being that my car is MW i cannot tell if its the same stuff left over by the yellow specs.

Originally Posted by Coupe Daddy
Same here. I get these every once in a while and as someone mentioned, a clay bar doesn't do any justice to it. Weird. I've even tried paint cleaner and that seems to work but I have concentrate on that little spot forever. I use a microfibre clothe as well. If if wasn't for that I'm sure I would have scratched my car by now. I hate that crap. I had no idea what it was.
I did the exact same thing, I purchased a clay bar and NOTHING....
Old 06-14-2010, 11:53 PM
yogregb

My car is white, of course, shows the worst. The cleaner wax works ,but I recomend you put a quailty sealer on your paint to begin with so your clear cote is protected and the yellow won't stain as much..