G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Just bought an used G37. Is extended warranty necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:28 PM
zeleperformance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just bought an used G37. Is extended warranty necessary?

Just bought a used G37 sport with 30,000 miles couple of weeks back. The original warranty runs until the end of 2011. The sales person recommended buying an extended 5yrs/10,000 miles warranty and I did for 2,400.

now, I start thinking about putting body kits and changing exhaust on my G37 for now. Will changing exhaust void the extended warranty? What do you guys think about the price of the warranty? Is it worth 2,400? Should I return it? Since I can still get full refund if I return it within one month.

Please advice and thanks for your answers in advance.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
KennethG37S

it's totally depending on dealership but usually just changing exhaust won't void warranty. However, if there is a problem regarding exhaust in the future that would be a problem.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:40 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Waste of money. Now if you were getting a BMW it would probably come in handy.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:42 PM
zeleperformance

Originally Posted by KennethG37S
it's totally depending on dealership but usually just changing exhaust won't void warranty. However, if there is a problem regarding exhaust in the future that would be a problem.
Thanks for your reply. My friends were saying forget about the warranty. Instead, spend the money on parts to make the car go faster. which I might. It is a car I plan on modifying it. Putting a twin turbo on it would definitely void the warranty, correct?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:43 PM
zeleperformance

Originally Posted by movinon
Waste of money. Now if you were getting a BMW it would probably come in handy.
Some of my friends said so too. Is that because the car has good quality?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The dealership makes a ton of money on those warranties they sell you. I would return it and/or negotiate a better rate. Is it a Nissan/Infiniti warranty or third party of some kind?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:47 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Putting in a twin turbo would most likely void your warranty. Is there a typo or was the warranty for 5 years/10,000 miles? Not 100,000 miles?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:51 PM
zeleperformance

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Putting in a twin turbo would most likely void your warranty. Is there a typo or was the warranty for 5 years/10,000 miles? Not 100,000 miles?
Nice catch. It is 100,000 miles. what do u think? should I return the warranty? with this money, I could get a good head start.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:53 PM
zeleperformance

Originally Posted by Callaway
The dealership makes a ton of money on those warranties they sell you. I would return it and/or negotiate a better rate. Is it a Nissan/Infiniti warranty or third party of some kind?
It is a third party warranty. Does this make a difference?
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get your money back. That is a ton of money for and they do make a pant load of these things. You have another 1.5 years and 30,000 before you have to worry about anything and I believe you can buy that if you feel the need later on.

TT would def void your warranty...on other stuff like exhaust, if something goes wrong they have to be able to prove that is what that specific part that caused the problem. May be a bit of a "fight" sometimes but just stand your ground if you know that the problem has nothing to do with the mod.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 PM
zeleperformance

Originally Posted by Harley'sG
I would get your money back. That is a ton of money for and they do make a pant load of these things. You have another 1.5 years and 30,000 before you have to worry about anything and I believe you can buy that if you feel the need later on.

TT would def void your warranty...on other stuff like exhaust, if something goes wrong they have to be able to prove that is what that specific part that caused the problem. May be a bit of a "fight" sometimes but just stand your ground if you know that the problem has nothing to do with the mod.
The salesman said that the warranty has to be purchased at the point of sale....
Old 06-03-2010, 01:30 PM
itisagoodname

Originally Posted by zeleperformance
The salesman said that the warranty has to be purchased at the point of sale....
Most places give a grace period, but still, they want to make sure you dont trash the car and THEN buy a warranty to fix it. I did not opt for an extended warranty after purchasing my '08 with 32k miles. Paperwork has said that the 6-speed transmission and muffler were replaced under warranty. I am at the dealer now and they are going to replace my fron brake assemblies due to vibration.

How many of these issues will return after the warranty is up, who knows?

I'll be supercharging it so most of the stock parts will eventually go bye-bye anyways.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:33 PM
zeleperformance

Originally Posted by itisagoodname
Most places give a grace period, but still, they want to make sure you dont trash the car and THEN buy a warranty to fix it. I did not opt for an extended warranty after purchasing my '08 with 32k miles. Paperwork has said that the 6-speed transmission and muffler were replaced under warranty. I am at the dealer now and they are going to replace my fron brake assemblies due to vibration.

How many of these issues will return after the warranty is up, who knows?

I'll be supercharging it so most of the stock parts will eventually go bye-bye anyways.
I just called the salesman. He was saying putting on a turbo kit won't void the warranty! Was he joking? Is this even possible?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
They'll say anything to get you to buy it.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zeleperformance
It is a third party warranty. Does this make a difference?
return that **** asap. You got ripped off. the salesman doesn't know anything about what the warranty will cover or not cover. All he knows is he will get a big fat bonus for selling it to you.

Quick Reply: Just bought an used G37. Is extended warranty necessary?