G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Coupe performance - how much does it really matter to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 06:26 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I'm not into music so I just listen to traffic, weather, and business reports. Otherwise it's just silence for me in the car.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I looked at the Audi too. But I wouldn't pay $40K+ for a car that barely puts down 200 HP. Who would? Audi owners I guess. Stories of serious long term reliability issued didn't help either.

Since we (or the vast majority of us anyway) are G owners it's pretty obvious that an underpowered $40K car doesn't appeal as much to our demographic. The power is a huge factor for us. If I didn't care about it much a 328 or A5 would be appealing if I were the type of consumer to buy a car based more on reputation and prestige than value and reliability.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
That goes right back to my suggestion of how much fun it was to drive the Mini Cooper. Trust me, I think the car itself is ugly as hell (looks like a frog to me), but I was able to really use its most of its power without getting myself into trouble with Johnny Law.
The Mini is a FWD anomaly... and yes, it is EXCEPTIONALLY easy to drive. However, they have the same problem as Audi... it gets really expensive really quick.

Audi has beautiful cars, but their reliability reputation and cost will almost guarentee that I will never consider one.

Then again, this is coming from the guy who's seriously shopping for a TDI...
Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
I looked at the Audi too. But I wouldn't pay $40K+ for a car that barely puts down 200 HP. Who would? Audi owners I guess. Stories of serious long term reliability issued didn't help either.

Since we (or the vast majority of us anyway) are G owners it's pretty obvious that an underpowered $40K car doesn't appeal as much to our demographic. The power is a huge factor for us. If I didn't care about it much a 328 or A5 would be appealing if I were the type of consumer to buy a car based more on reputation and prestige than value and reliability.
Well I can honestly say the lack of power in the A5 wasn't at all what made me choose the G37. I would have chosen the A5 over the G37 if it weren't for 3 things: 1-poor reliability, 2-my dislike of the Audi's grille, and 3-the actual difficulties in buying an A5. I've heard it takes forever and a day to get one built and shipped to the dealership. The whole prestige thing means absolutely nothing to me, so having an Audi symbol on my car is a non-issue in my case.

I think I made the right choice though.... now I'll have a car with a better reliability ratings, looks that I like from every angle, and it's easy to get! The extra HP is just a bonus.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
LSUtigerME

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The G doesn't have enough power as it is, and you're asking to take some away. After my last car, I vowed to never buy the lower engine model again (if G25 vs G37).
Old 06-03-2010, 10:11 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by LSUtigerME
The G doesn't have enough power as it is, and you're asking to take some away. After my last car, I vowed to never buy the lower engine model again (if G25 vs G37).
I hear ya...I have never once in my life chosen the lower HP engine in any vehicle I've ever owned. But I will admit that some of the "lower" HP vehicles I've owned have been a lot of fun to drive. Don't get me wrong, I love big power, but the problem with having big power is that you can't really tap into it on the streets very often. Or if you can, it's only for very short bursts at a time.

I helped my buddy mod his Supra Turbo over a period of about 3 years. When we were done, the car was pushing about 550 RWHP. Looking back on that experience, as the car became faster and faster, it was less and less fun to drive on the street. But it was an absolute blast at the track!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Gobbler Man

I like the thread discussion. Interesting and entertaining.

Now, on to the topic...

For me, it would all come down to the test drive. I did not buy my G based on a bullet list of features. I based it off of my research. I went through all the other cars in the price range. What mattered was how much fun it was to drive. If they still made it more fun to drive than the other cars in the price range, and kept all the other features there (looks, reliability, features that I enjoy), I would still be on board.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
In regards to Audi, my cousin has an A3 which is a V4 or the equivalent of a V4 if I'm not mistaken. Based on the numbers, I would consider it underpowered and I think most of you would also, but after driving it I found myself wondering why Audi even bothers to make a V6.

To the point of this thread though, I would say a G25 + IPL may be the forumula that makes the compromise of less HP an attractive deal I could live with.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:42 PM
Gee4Zee

I'm probably one of the older folks around here, so I'll 'wax' historical. The 'Big Dog' on the block at one time was the Mercedes, and the BMW 2002 during that same time period was a 'lightweight' to some folks, as was the Porche 356, which was famous for swapping ends if you tried to come around a corner too fast. Mercedes was established but these other outfits were 'hungry', put more into their cars for less, a great deal less. You could see that, and appreciate it.

You can compare a G37 to other cars that like a Porche, Vette, and quite a few exotics costing a fortune, but when you think about a G37 in terms of what you're getting for the price, you're getting an 'Old School' attitude which was "we're hungry, we're going to give you a lot more, and take a little less of you're money in profit'.

As I've said when I got my '08 G37 Coupe, I was after a Altima/Maxima, 'till I drove this car, which was used and $10,000 Grand LESS than a new Maxima, and upon realizing that, you couldn't drag me out of this G37. I looked/drove like brand new, and it impressed me that the build quality held together. Appreciating this, I would not trade this car if somebody walked up to me and offered me more money to get a Porche or a Vette(I'd keep the money, the G37, and do something else w/it).

Some cars are special for their 'Fun Quotient' at an EVERYMAN price, it's kind of a 'goodhearted' slap at the rich quy who drives a $140,000 Dollar legend which accelerates a little faster than my G37 but not a $100,000 faster.

I had this same feeling w/my Triumph TR6 which I bought for $4,600, before that you could buy a Mercerdes handmade roadster for $5,600, and coming to the present the G37, beautiful, powerful, smooth, and the cheapest of the bunch.

I've been with women who were absulutely beatiful, w/expensive tastes, who love to look in the mirror, when they weren't throwing tantrums, or sulking. They wore on you over time.

I've also been with women who were great looking, funloving, smiling all the time, let you know that they were fine with any restaurant that matched the condition of your wallet
I know the difference between women and cars, but you can still classify both into either of the two groups. Those in one group that are great to look at, but are nothing but trouble, the others a treat(and at relatively little cost).
Old 06-04-2010, 05:13 PM
mike904

Besides looks, the engine is the reason I bought the G37. However, my wife loaned her CRV to our friend and we got to use her S2000 for a week and with 237 HP, that car was a blast to drive.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:44 PM
MSCA
Banned

We're getting some interesting perspectives here.....
Old 06-04-2010, 11:14 PM
Jamler

Originally Posted by MSCA
I would have chosen the A5 over the G37 if it weren't for 3 things: 1-poor reliability, 2-my dislike of the Audi's grille, and 3-Actual issues!!
I didn't have the Audi Dealer experience because I have a friend that bought
a Black A5 3.2 S-Line. Sweet car, I was totally enamored with the look. BUT
after him telling me these stories of his steering rattle and upper control arm
issues that the dealers made him swap his wheels out and such... I was not
having any of it... AND THE PRICE? Are you F'n kidding me. Yeah, its a good
looking car, but so it the G and it cost a bunch less. Plus to get the good
breaks you had to get the S5 which is a ton more money. Anyway... he
often is looking at the tail lights of my G... And I can still afford dinner
Old 06-05-2010, 12:33 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin

lol yeah I know
Old 06-05-2010, 07:07 AM
MSCA
Banned

Jamler,

Thanks for the response, but please don't quote me and then change my words. I never said "actual issues" in my post.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:26 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This forums probably not a good place for valid feedback on the viability of a G25, I mean really It's doubtful any enthusiast would be interested in less HP. There are a ton of folks out there however that never get past LOOKS, MILEAGE and RELIABILITY when it comes to picking a car and these are the folks that would go for a G25... and probably never log on here.

Quick Reply: Coupe performance - how much does it really matter to you?