G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Coupe performance - how much does it really matter to you?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:38 AM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like the idea that the NEW G will be called a G25. The OLDER model G is the G35. Its downgrading the model number from G35 > G37 > G25?? I also agree on how there will be another model that is significantly cheaper. Everyone would have it and they would ruin it for the G37 owners as it looks EXACTLY the same. Just look at the IS250. Everyone has one. No one would be able to tell the difference if the 350 badge wasnt there unless they look under the hood.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:59 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Your logic seems faulty. Would I still pay $44K for a performance oriented luxury grand touring coupe with 225 HP? Hell no. And other than Mr. Diesel, I don't think any of us would. C6 owners wouldn't buy their Vettes if they had 280 HP for the sane cost either, it's just not the same car and it would be a horrendous value. Infiniti would sell 17 units per year.

Now if you called it a G25, knocked thousands off the price, and marketed it as a sporty entry level luxury/economy sedan, folks will buy it.
There’s no logic here at all…this is purely speculative. But if you insist on looking at it logically, then you should consider the fact that Audi sells plenty of “underpowered” A5s that are priced in the mid-40K range. This is a direct competitor to the G37 coupe and it has much less HP but is in the same price range, or even a bit higher.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:06 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by sick6speed
Nope.
1. Not a fan of American cars.
2. The styling of the G is so damn sexy AND with the 330hp makes it worth every penny I spent on it.
3. If your car is on order...why are you even debating this? Why would you ever downgrade?

Ah, so now there are other considerations that you bring up. No American cars....and you want the "sexy" looks of your car. So it's more than just the HP for you...... in other words, you want the total package.

BTW, this isn't a debate. My car is on order and I'm buying it no matter what. I just thought it would be interesting to see how many guys choose the G coupe because of the 330 HP. Or more accurately, how many guys wouldn't have chosen it if it had significantly less HP.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by Vasher
Nope. Performance was part of the equation.

If there was a 225hp model (~G25) along with the G37, I wouldn't have bought the G. It would be waaaay too common and all the idiots driving the lower model would have ruined it for me.

If there were three models (eg; G25, 37, and 37TT/56), I would have gone for the "premium". Though it would be common, blowing the doors off of the schmoe's that think your car is "base" would make up for that.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the downgraded G is making it's way here. When it does, its time to get a new car.
You have the most interesting response yet. You wouldn't have purchased a G37 if the G25 was available too? I'm not sure I understand why you'd feel that way. Would you buy an S5 knowing that the A5 is much more common? Or an M3 knowing that there are many more 'lower' 3-series models? Or better yet, would you buy a 335i if the lower 3-series models exist?

When the "downgraded" G gets here, I figured you'd be happy that you have one of the "fast" ones, but I guess it's more about what other people may think.

A funny thing is happening with the Mustang guys right now. For 2011, the V6 Mustang make more than 300 HP--almost as much as the 2010 GT. They also gave the V6 a dual exhaust system that makes it look much more like a V8 GT. At the same time, the V8 model makes more than 400 HP. I wonder how many Mustang guys won't want to buy a new GT because of the perception that the "lower" model brings to the Mustang name.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by AUC2MIC
I would take a E36 M3 over a G37 right now... if it wasn't for maintenance and scarcity of nice ones on the market
An E36 M3 with 100 less HP STILL does 0-60 faster than a G37

My M3 was a 1999 (last year of the E36 body style) and a 5MT coupe. It was a sweet car for sure and had a HP rating of 240. The 0-60 time was right around 5.5 seconds, which is identical to the times I see in most road tests for both my M3 and the G37. The quarter mile times on the M3 were usually in the 14.0 to 14.2 second range, which seems to be just a bit slower than the G37. What's really interesting is that the M3 was no lightweight vehicle....it wasn't as heavy as a G37, but still with only 240 HP, the car moved really well.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:32 AM
MSCA
Banned

Here's my old M3. That's one car that I wish I never sold....

Last edited by MSCA; 09-16-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:17 AM
sick6speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I do love this car for the whole package. Before getting this car I was planning on getting the Audi S5 but instead got the G37 b/c I ended up buying a house. The S5's V8 and beauty is what I really loved but the 13/17 mpg threw me off. I thought about the A5 but couldn't bring myself to get it knowing that there was an S5 out there. It's going to kill me when the IPL G37 comes out later this year or next.

Originally Posted by MSCA
Ah, so now there are other considerations that you bring up. No American cars....and you want the "sexy" looks of your car. So it's more than just the HP for you...... in other words, you want the total package.

BTW, this isn't a debate. My car is on order and I'm buying it no matter what. I just thought it would be interesting to see how many guys choose the G coupe because of the 330 HP. Or more accurately, how many guys wouldn't have chosen it if it had significantly less HP.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:34 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The main thing to remember is that this wouldn't be sold for the same price as the G37, it'd obviously be cheaper.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:02 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you'll find it difficult for anyone to say "yes I'd pay the same amount for 100 less hp" on the G because we're already used to the rule that you shell out $40k+ and Infiniti gives you 330hp + whatever else that comes with it (some of which I think are more important than the hp). It's gonna be hard for people to nod their heads when all things held constant, and you say, would you be ok if I take away that 100hp from you?

Logically people would say no because it's way less of a deal than what they got. It's like you're asking, would you be just as happy if you got less for your money than what you have now? Of course not.

Mini cooper IS a ton of fun to drive and has way less power than the G but it also weighs A LOT less. Audi A4, A5s don't really have an underpowered model at the same price (that I know of). If they did, I don't see why anyone wouldn't opt for the higher end model. More bang for the buck is one of the reasons why many of us bought this car in the first place.

For me, if there's a car with only 225hp, reasonably priced, looks good, handles decent, and is fun to drive. I wouldn't mind getting it as the next car.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Makes you wonder how many of the owner's that have de-badged their cars will put their G37 emblems back on.
I would think that a lot of the G25 owners will take the G25 emblem off.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
ahmsg420
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really hope this G25 never makes its way over here
Old 06-03-2010, 12:12 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
I think you'll find it difficult for anyone to say "yes I'd pay the same amount for 100 less hp" on the G because we're already used to the rule that you shell out $40k+ and Infiniti gives you 330hp + whatever else that comes with it (some of which I think are more important than the hp). It's gonna be hard for people to nod their heads when all things held constant, and you say, would you be ok if I take away that 100hp from you?

Logically people would say no because it's way less of a deal than what they got. It's like you're asking, would you be just as happy if you got less for your money than what you have now? Of course not.

Mini cooper IS a ton of fun to drive and has way less power than the G but it also weighs A LOT less. Audi A4, A5s don't really have an underpowered model at the same price (that I know of). If they did, I don't see why anyone wouldn't opt for the higher end model. More bang for the buck is one of the reasons why many of us bought this car in the first place.

For me, if there's a car with only 225hp, reasonably priced, looks good, handles decent, and is fun to drive. I wouldn't mind getting it as the next car.
Well, not everyone has a G37 that reads the forum, so for those people (like me) it wouldn't really be taking anything away...

And the A5 2.0T is at a very similar price point, which much less HP than the G37, so it does fit perfectly with my scenario. And lot of people still buy it....
Old 06-03-2010, 12:30 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Well, not everyone has a G37 that reads the forum, so for those people (like me) it wouldn't really be taking anything away...

And the A5 2.0T is at a very similar price point, which much less HP than the G37, so it does fit perfectly with my scenario. And lot of people still buy it....
Yes when comparing a $36k A5 2.0 to the $48k 3.2, I can see how the 2.0 can seem more appealing. It's a difference of 50hp + other stuff for $12,000, pretty significant amount.

If you drop the price down proportionally for the G from 37 to 25, even with 225hp, I'm sure many would consider the G25 too. But if all is kept constant, I think it'd be a tough sell.

In any case, I'd be excited to see the new G25 when it comes out!

Last edited by ucla bruin; 06-03-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Harley'sG

I already have my G and plan to keep it for a long time and continue to play around so not too concerned about this but, to me this seems like a way to hike the price up a bit on the 37. It's a business and if they see BMW, MB, Lexus or whoever getting more for a similar car then rest assure that Infiniti is doing everything they can to try and get more for what they are putting out there.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Yes when comparing a $36k A5 2.0 to the $48k 3.2, I can see how the 2.0 can seem more appealing. It's a difference of 50hp + other stuff for $12,000, pretty significant amount.

If you drop the price down proportionally for the G from 37 to 25, even with 225hp, I'm sure many would consider the G25 too. But if all is kept constant, I think it'd be a tough sell.

In any case, I'd be excited to see the new G25 when it comes out!
Yes, but I think you're missing my point. The A5 2.0T is virtually the same price as the G37. But the A5 2.0T has only 211 HP. So obviously people out there are spending $40K and up for a car with 211 HP. It's not so crazy to say that people will spend upwards of $40K for a stylish and fun-to-drive car with 211 HP....

Quick Reply: Coupe performance - how much does it really matter to you?