Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How many G37 owners on this site, have their cars stock

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM
dainjarouz
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a few visual mods here..other than that..nothing...not even tint.

I will mod it though...just havent yet. 7 months of ownership!

I just need to make the car my own or different from stock at least...i was at the dealership for an oil change a few months ago and the amount of stock Gs surprised me. i want to stand out from the crowd (eventually)
Old 05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
CGAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt realize how many women owned G's but after reading this thread its obvious. Mod or stock who cares to each their own.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:59 PM
IMFROMNEWYORK

Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
Completely stock

"Windows with no tints, cars with no rims, thats cuz we handle ours like grown men" - JayZ lol...
True Story ....
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by dainjarouz
a few visual mods here..other than that..nothing...not even tint.

I will mod it though...just havent yet. 7 months of ownership!

I just need to make the car my own or different from stock at least...i was at the dealership for an oil change a few months ago and the amount of stock Gs surprised me. i want to stand out from the crowd (eventually)
If you think about it, you are much more likeley to find stock cars at the dealerships vs modded ones. For a number of reasons.

People who keep their cars stock are generally less likely to be DIY owners who do maintenance and repair themselves. Modded car owners often do a lot of the routine maintenance themselves rather than pay $100+/hr for something they can do themselves and enjoy doing. Stock owners are more likely to take a car in to the dealership for problems because they have no mods that might cause dealers to try to deny them warranty service. Modded car owners are more likely to just fix something themselves if it's minor rather than go through the inconvenience of taking it to the dealership if possible, or can't take it in because their mods may have something to do with the problem (or at least the dealership will say it does).

I took mine in quite a while back and talked with the techs while it was being serviced. The tech liked my few mods that I had at the time and commented that they seldom have cars brought in that have been modded by their owners.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:20 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
^ Did they say anything about your wiring kit?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
^ Did they say anything about your wiring kit?
The the asked me about it, what it ws and how it works but that's it. It depends on your dealership whether they will throw a fit or not. I took mine in for the infamous exhaust rattle on the '08 models. If they had tried to somehow blame grounding wires for making the muffler rattle, I'd have take e flamethrower to the place. It was a non issue.

If it has been for something electrically related, say the dead battery issue, I'd have simply taken 15 minutes and removed the wires before taking it in to avoid any potential for them to blame something totally unrelated for the company's own shortcoming.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
koa789

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Manufactures are required to make compromises to adhere to the various regulations as well as design to achieve a price point. A stock car is like a hamburger and bun, it's much better with cheese and all the fixings.
See, this is where I will agree and disagree with you. Manufacturers are required to follow certain regulations, but they also have engineers that spent 1000s of hours testing a car's engine, suspension, transmission, noise levels on the inside and outside, to provide the best combination of sporty ride, comfort, NVH, and safety.

For example, changing your ride height actually changes where an impact would occur on your vehicle in case of a collision, and when looking at something like, lets say, a door, having another vehicle strike the center of the door where the impact beam is, compared to striking 2 inches above it, could make a big difference as to the amount of intrusion that will be present into the passenger compartment.

Now speed is a variable, and there is a point where ride height really won't matter at all, but you see my point. If I wanted a car that handled better, accelerated or stopped faster, and provided more or less comfort and convenience features, I would have bought a car like that.

To me, if you want to personalize your car to suit your style, go for it, but adding performance mods to this car, to still have it not keep up at the track with a bone stock base Corvette, but lose all the finer things it offers, really makes no sense. I like a good blend of features this car offers. I just went on a 1500 miles road trip and it was very comfortable, with plenty of passing power, nice and quiet on the inside, and the ride was just perfect...nice and smooth when I wanted it to be, and once I hit the Pacific Coast Highway, it provided plenty of sporty feel for me to take turns at reasonable and safe speeds for the conditions presented to me on the road. I do like seeing different G37s on the road and on the forum. There are some very nice cars out there, yours being one of them, but mine being stock is perfect for me. Just my 2 cents :-) Happy motoring.

Originally Posted by YetiNole
I disagree. When I'm sitting at a red light, my stock G says to the guy in the other lane, "My car is faster than yours."
Unless the other guy is driving a Camaro...or a Mustang...or a 'Vette...or a 911....or an E46 M3....or a 370z....or a 350z...or a G37 with bolt ons

Last edited by koa789; 05-28-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by IMFROMNEWYORK
i mean no disrespect bro, but I dont know what your talking about. ... i have no problem's with my Stock G ... i worked hard for my money and for me to take something and add things which dont need to be added is not for me "It is what it is" ... I Love my stock G

Does anyone know when a G Meet will happen in New York ?
none taken man. To each his own. Some people think stock is perfect, while others see stock cars as a blank piece of canvas and they want to "paint" it with mods. There, I think thats a better analogy than the club thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cars are stock because thay have to appeal to the masses. If they came moded people would say, "I dont like that spoiler" or "I dont like those lights" and sales would suffer. It comes down to the individual.

There are some women out there that look good with their hair not done and no make-up, albeit a very small % of them. Put some make up, nice hair do, some high heels and BAM!!!!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:25 PM
IMFROMNEWYORK

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I took mine in for the infamous exhaust rattle on the '08 models
i just noticed that on mines bro ... how did you end up fixing that problem ...

i might have to take it in to be looked @ .. i could look into it/find out the problem and fix it my self " I did graduate from UTI " ..
but i rather have someone look @ it .. i have no time .. i'm too busy
Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by IMFROMNEWYORK
i just noticed that on mines bro ... how did you end up fixing that problem ...

i might have to take it in to be looked @ .. i could look into it/find out the problem and fix it my self " I did graduate from UTI " ..
but i rather have someone look @ it .. i have no time .. i'm too busy
There is a TSB for it. It's a defective part. The dealer replaces it with a newer version of the muffler that doesn't rattle.

I got it replaced. I drove straight home and removed the brand new replacement muffler (and sold it) and put on the Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Win.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
IMFROMNEWYORK

Originally Posted by Black Betty
There is a TSB for it. It's a defective part. The dealer replaces it with a newer version of the muffler that doesn't rattle.

I got it replaced. I drove straight home and removed the brand new replacement muffler (and sold it) and put on the Tanabe Medallion exhaust. Win.

Thanks for the info .. i apprecaite it
Old 05-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

My G looked like a frigging teacher with her hair pinned up and in her walmart sunday best. I just let her hair down, threw on some daisy dukes, a push up bra and made her a little less shy so you can actually here her speak and have no doubt something special just past your A$$.
Someone please put this in their sig!
Old 05-28-2010, 07:38 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You're forgetting they don't have an endless checkbook. That's supercar territory, consumer cars are design according to the best they can do within the target price point. Everything has that limitation, however with aftermarket it's clear the goal is to exceed OEM AND the competition, that's capitalism at work. You can improve the car over factory.. people have been doing it for YEARS thanks to aftermarket companies that have also been around for YEARS. Many dealer even sell aftermarket products and will install for you.

I'd want a dual clutch trans on a car I planned to TT or better yet would just buy it that way already if high performance were a primary goal so we agree there. Then again some folks like having sleepers, even I got to admit that's appealing.

Actually luxury with sport was my primary reason for buying a G, although looks from the get go were not totally to my taste. My G looked like a frigging teacher with her hair pinned up and in her walmart sunday best. I just let her hair down, threw on some daisy dukes, a push up bra and made her a little less shy so you can actually hear her speak and have no doubt something special just passed your A$$. She's still a teacher... but shes a BAAADDD teacher...lol Most of my mods are cosmetic, performance is a side goal that's welcomed if present and not tolerated if penalized. I'm not trying to build a racer, just a hot looking G37 that out performs the factory.

I dont' quite understand where you'd get loose the finer things comment from, the whole idea in modding is to improve to ones taste. if by finer things you mean front wheel gap, excessive chrome, boring wheels, meek exhaust, no base in audio system or looking like every other G out there... then alas, parting is so sweet.

There are some down sides though to modding... your garage gets filled with parts is one. I'm also always recieving complements on my car not that I'm after that seriously and actually it get's kind of old or in some cases embarasing having to respond. Some people can be quiet enthusiastic in a restaurant and draw a bit too much attention.. "DAAAMN dude is that your car.. is that a Skyline!" Picture multiple tables staring at you. That was almost enough to make me put my stock wheels back on... ALMOST...lol.

At least with a stock G37 you don't have to worry about that. I imagine it may still happen but then they're complimenting the factory... not you.
LOL!

well said Red.

I LOVE the teacher and G analogy, thats def. a WIN!
Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
koa789

You're forgetting they don't have an endless checkbook. That's supercar territory, consumer cars are design according to the best they can do within the target price point. Everything has that limitation, however with aftermarket it's clear the goal is to exceed OEM AND the competition, that's capitalism at work. You can improve the car over factory.. people have been doing it for YEARS thanks to aftermarket companies that have also been around for YEARS. Many dealers even sell aftermarket products and will install for you.
Improvements in which area? Coil overs don't improve ride comfort, and when most people throw them on their car, they don't even improve handling either. They associate less body roll and a stiffer ride with "improved handling". Look at any race car with a race suspension and look at their mounting points for their suspension. Most people, and I bet they are in the 99% range, don't know their head from their *** when it comes to suspension geometry when they decide to stick different suspension pieces on their car. Talk to any mechanical or aerospace engineer that has worked for a car manufacturer or a race team and see what they tell you. Intakes and exhausts make more noise inside the car. Those to me are not improvements. Higher Kelvin scale HID lights may be brighter, but they actually project less light at distances....see where this is going...

I'm not trying to build a racer, just a hot looking G37 that out performs the factory.
But what is the point? Do you autocross your car? Do you do any HPDE? If you do both of those, I can see the point of doing some brake pads, stainless steel brake lines, cooling ducts for brakes, and sticky tires, but aside from that, really no point in doing 30whp more on a car that doesn't hit the track.

I dont' quite understand where you'd get lose the finer things comment from, the whole idea in modding is to improve to ones taste. if by finer things you mean front wheel gap, excessive chrome, boring wheels, meek exhaust, no base in audio system or looking like every other G out there... then alas, parting is so sweet.
Taste is quite different from refinement. I don't understand your excessive chrome comment, because aside from the grille, my car doesn't have any chrome on the outside from the factory. And I like the way the stock wheels look, with the stock suspension setup, and how the stock exhaust sounds. I like the way yours looks too, but I would never do anything like that to my car. I don't want to worry about going over speed bumps, rough and bouncy ride, loud exhaust or intake sounds that would kill me on a 1500 miles road trip. And I actually prefer the stock Bose system to anything aftermarket due to the fact it actually has a decent blend of all tones, not just bass. And you can stick 20 grand worth of stuff on a G37, and, 1/4 mile aside, you still won't have the performance combined with reliability of a bone stock Corvette.

There are some down sides though to modding... your garage gets filled with parts is one. I'm also always recieving complements on my car not that I'm after that seriously and actually it get's kind of old or in some cases embarasing having to respond. Some people can be quite enthusiastic in a restaurant and draw a bit too much attention.. "DAAAMN dude is that your car.. is that a Skyline!" Picture multiple tables staring at you. That was almost enough to make me put my stock wheels back on... ALMOST...lol.

At least with a stock G37 you don't have to worry about that. I imagine it may still happen but then they're complimenting the factory... not you.
I really don't need to have people complement my car, or anything I've done to it. It's not a Ferrari, it's not a Lamborghini, it's not anything special but a Nissan with an Infiniti badge for the US market. I guess we just appreciate different things in life, but I stopped dumping money into cars a long time ago. Either way, keep up what makes you happy. You buy stuff and put it on your car, I buy slicks and race brake pads for my track bike. To each their own.

Quick Reply: How many G37 owners on this site, have their cars stock