Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Question about the push-button start

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 12:47 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Every piece of tech has a "honeymoon"m period. But I still think it's really cool and when you combine it with all the other cool stuff the G does it makes a big difference than the entry level cars that have nothing cool but a push button start
It's what happens AFTER you push the start button that will make the entry levels go hide. Getting sick of hearing people talking about the Hyundai and comparing it to the G (just a side note about "entry" levels). IMHO .... Hyundai will always be a entry level regardless of what they package in a attractive price.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
It's what happens AFTER you push the start button that will make the entry levels go hide. Getting sick of hearing people talking about the Hyundai and comparing it to the G (just a side note about "entry" levels). IMHO .... Hyundai will always be a entry level regardless of what they package in a attractive price.
I agree. Even though I'm sure the Genesis Coupe is a great car, whenever I hear Hyundai all I think of is a cheap, plastic car. They will always have a sub-par connotation in my mind
Old 05-21-2010, 03:32 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Here is a test.

Remove the battery. Stick fob in the key hole. Try to start the car. Post result here.
Yeah, I thought of that too. Just one problem though....I don't have my car yet. Maybe someone else can try it.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
That's how it's explained in the service manual. The IVIS/NATS id is just like the passive ID used in keyed ignition systems. The I-Key slot can read that ID regardless of the battery condition in the I-Key.
Well, the owner's manuals says the slot should be used in the event of a partially discharged fob battery.

Last edited by MSCA; 05-21-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
SleepyMonkey
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
I agree. Even though I'm sure the Genesis Coupe is a great car, whenever I hear Hyundai all I think of is a cheap, plastic car. They will always have a sub-par connotation in my mind
I test drove the Genesis sedan (V8) while I was shopping around. Very nice car - they've come a long way - but it's not the same quality yet. And until people's perceptions of them change, that resale value will kill you.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:54 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
Well, the owner's manuals says the slot should be used in the event of a partially discharged fob battery.
The owners manual is telling you that because the RF signal is too weak for the car's receiver to pick it up. Partially drained still means no workie.

I'm answering your own question about HOW the slot works, which is not in the owner's manual - it's in the service manual. What I meant by "regardless of the battery condition of the I-key" was that whether it had partial or no charge. Obviously if it has sufficient charge I expect that the RF key will be detected anyway.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:42 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
The owners manual is telling you that because the RF signal is too weak for the car's receiver to pick it up. Partially drained still means no workie.

I'm answering your own question about HOW the slot works, which is not in the owner's manual - it's in the service manual. What I meant by "regardless of the battery condition of the I-key" was that whether it had partial or no charge. Obviously if it has sufficient charge I expect that the RF key will be detected anyway.
Well that 's what I've been saying all along. But if the battery in the I-key (I've been calling it a fob) is too weak to transmit the signal to the car while it is in your pocket, then moving it to the slot will allow that weak signal to reach the car. So if that's true, then it seems logical that the driver could simply hold the I-key next to the slot (instead of inserting it) and the engine should start...