Sponsored By:

Question about the push-button start

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:32 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hispeed-lowdrag
Nah it doesn't charge the fob's battery Sam...just if the fob battery is dead it will prevent you from starting the car (b/c the car will think there is no fob at all) and so putting it in the slot makes the car recognize it.

But the only way to "charge" the fob is to change the battery
I don't remember where I read this, but the idea behind sticking the fob into that slot to start the car when the fob battery is dead is because it allows the "weak" signal to reach the sensor. In other words, if the fob battery is 100% completely dead, sticking the fob into the slot will do nothing. But since those little button batteries ten to weaken as they age, the fob may not have enough juice left to send the signal from your pocket (or wherever you keep it) to the signal sensor. So putting the fob into the slot just moves it closer to where it needs to be to allow the signal to reach in the case of a weak battery.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
I thought the slot was simply a key holder and nothing else. I keep mine in there all the time when I'm driving or if it's in the garage. Should I not be?!
I don't know that it's necessarily bad...but why take the time to put it there when you can just keep it in your pocket

Originally Posted by MSCA
I don't remember where I read this, but the idea behind sticking the fob into that slot to start the car when the fob battery is dead is because it allows the "weak" signal to reach the sensor. In other words, if the fob battery is 100% completely dead, sticking the fob into the slot will do nothing. But since those little button batteries ten to weaken as they age, the fob may not have enough juice left to send the signal from your pocket (or wherever you keep it) to the signal sensor. So putting the fob into the slot just moves it closer to where it needs to be to allow the signal to reach in the case of a weak battery.
Yeah, those batteries take forever to truly drain 100%, but when they are too weak for the car to recognize you put it in there. Good clarification
Old 05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought the slot was simply a key holder and nothing else. I keep mine in there all the time when I'm driving or if it's in the garage. Should I not be?!

yeah it's a fob holder for people not wearing jeans
Old 05-20-2010, 12:25 PM
DJMatrix1067

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ha, we should stick a key fob etiquette thread. Reality of the whole smart key thing is that it actually works pretty well, but I was hesitant when I first got the car.

I have noticed that the car sometimes hesitates with the keyfob in the car. Like I hit the button, and a second or two passes, just enough time for me to look at the car like and then it starts.

I bought one of those little key fob condoms at the stealership last time I got my car in for service (along with an infiniti T shirt of course) and i love it.

Just to clarify further, if the car is locked and the keyfob is "dead" holding it on/ right next to the door unlock button will also allow the person to unlock the car.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Nick3753

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perhaps that is how this thread got started
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...be-stolen.html
Old 05-20-2010, 04:20 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

From one of my prior posts:
The I-Key has 2 IDs, one for Intelligent Key RF transmission and one for IVIS (NATS) which is a separate Infinit/Nissan immobilization/anti theft system. The latter ID is store in a circuit in the FOB. When your FOB battery is discharged and you plug it into the slot the electronics around the slot can read the ID just like a non-IKey Nissan vehicle with a NATS chip in the physical key. So the slot is not just a place to put your FOB but required if the I-Key transmission is not possible due to a discharged battery.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Old 05-20-2010, 05:11 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
From one of my prior posts:
The I-Key has 2 IDs, one for Intelligent Key RF transmission and one for IVIS (NATS) which is a separate Infinit/Nissan immobilization/anti theft system. The latter ID is store in a circuit in the FOB. When your FOB battery is discharged and you plug it into the slot the electronics around the slot can read the ID just like a non-IKey Nissan vehicle with a NATS chip in the physical key. So the slot is not just a place to put your FOB but required if the I-Key transmission is not possible due to a discharged battery.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
So if the fob battery is COMPLETELY discharged, will sticking it in the slot still allow the car to start? It sounds like you're saying that this secondary ID is more like the chips that have been embedded into ignition keys for years now, so if that's the case, no battery power should be required at all, right?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Does no one read the manual anymore?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:15 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

^apparently not.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:39 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Does no one read the manual anymore?
Not sure who you're talking about, but the information I just asked about is not in the manual. There's no explanation on HOW the port actually works. It just says to put the fob into the slot in the event of an "almost discharged" battery in the fob.

The fact that it says "almost" discharged makes me think that the battery still has to have some juice left in order for the port to allow the car to start. But still, I don't know how it works. Do you?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:48 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is a test.

Remove the battery. Stick fob in the key hole. Try to start the car. Post result here.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And here is something on RFID tags:

There are generally three types of RFID tags: active RFID tags, which contain a battery and can transmit signals autonomously, passive RFID tags, which have no battery and require an external source to provoke signal transmission, and battery assisted passive (BAP) RFID tags, which require an external source to wake up but have significant higher forward link capability providing greater range.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by freesurfer
I still think the button start is so cool. I just love this car.
Yeah, it was cool before. But it is quickly getting played out. I see entry level cars getting them now.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by myk1013
Yeah, it was cool before. But it is quickly getting played out. I see entry level cars getting them now.
Every piece of tech has a "honeymoon"m period. But I still think it's really cool and when you combine it with all the other cool stuff the G does it makes a big difference than the entry level cars that have nothing cool but a push button start
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

So if the fob battery is COMPLETELY discharged, will sticking it in the slot still allow the car to start? It sounds like you're saying that this secondary ID is more like the chips that have been embedded into ignition keys for years now, so if that's the case, no battery power should be required at all, right?
That's how it's explained in the service manual. The IVIS/NATS id is just like the passive ID used in keyed ignition systems. The I-Key slot can read that ID regardless of the battery condition in the I-Key.

Quick Reply: Question about the push-button start