Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Graphite shadow vs Black obsidian

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Saken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Graphite shadow vs Black obsidian

Hey everyone I'm new to these forums - just about to close a purchase on a '10 g37 coupe. I'm torn between choosing between the graphite shadow and black obsidian colors though as the dealership I'm talking with has both of these in stock with all the features I'm looking for. What're your guys opinions about these two colors?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OB is one of the best colors for the G (THE best IMO), but it is w/o a doubt the biggest PITA to keep clean/nice.

If you are willing to put a lot of TLC, elbow grease and just enjoy working on your car (or have the money to pay someone else to) then get OB. otherwise get graphite. it looks meh IMO but won't give you a headache over cleaning
Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered a Graphite Shadow coupe. I also looked really hard at the black before I made my decision. What sealed the deal for me was when I walked past a shiny black coupe in the showroom and noticed the spiderweb scratches (swirl marks) in the paint. I remembered how hard it was to maintain my last black car and how easy black paint shows any dirt or any imperfections in the paint. Black is nice, but it's just far too much work to keep looking good. Plus, black tends to hide the beautiful lines of the coupe.

Well, that's my opinion. Let us know what you choose....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Amon_Ra

yea get a clear bra or just get the car in white...if you pay attention to detail rock chips will **** you off!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
yogregb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your a regular Joe ,the black will look like sh*t in a year. You need to be meticulous with black and have a garage for sure. Do yourself a HUGE favor and get the grey. There, you are fairly warned
Old 05-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Jamler

Originally Posted by yogregb
If your a regular Joe ,the black will look like sh*t in a year. You need to be meticulous with black and have a garage for sure. Do yourself a HUGE favor and get the grey. There, you are fairly warned

SFT - I've got OB... Luckily; I am a meticulous detail jerk-o with a garage.

That Graphite Shadow is HOTT!!! I just saw one up close at the dealer recently.
They had just finished prep for a customer that was on their way in to pickup.

Its all personal taste... To me, nothing looks nicer than black when its CLEAN!
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an 08 BO coupe and it was absolutely ruined after two years. I traded it in for my 2010 GS for this exact reason (plus I really do like the way the GS shows of the lines of this car)....
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Haji

Black is boring, every other car on the street is black lol
I got amethyst graphite for this reason over white and black, very happy so far, the color really brings life to the car.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:48 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Haji
Black is boring, every other car on the street is black lol
I got amethyst graphite for this reason over white and black, very happy so far, the color really brings life to the car.
I've only seen 1 other black G off the lot ever...who cares about other model cars
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Haji

Haha well I have only seen one as well, but all the pictures on here feature black cars.
Time to bring some love to the grays
Old 05-10-2010, 10:54 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

there's a HUGE population of G's in CA and NY, that's why a lot of the pics on here are black/white
Old 05-11-2010, 12:01 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
If you like washing your car and don't mind the extra TLC black cars need to look good then go with OB. It is a swirl magnet and WILL show dirt easier. BUT, it looks so good when its all clean and shiny and dropped with nice wheels.

I just had a Graphite Shadow sedan for my loaner and it's still too light shade of grey for me. It will not show swirls and will look clean even if it's dirty up close. So, if you dont have time or make the extra effort to keep a car looking clean, this color is for you.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Stylin G
Registered Member

My choice was also between the BO and PG at the time. I remembered how much I hated detailing black cars and went with the PG. I'm still very meticulous when cleaning, but I like how my car can be covered with dust from driving and still look clean at a distance.

Quick question though, what is the difference between PG and GS? Both look exactly the same to me.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:23 AM
beerme986

black is a commitment ..one that I made with many cars before and wont do again.

with the g37, there are many curvy lines which the black hides.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:47 AM
MNDZA

My last two g coupes were diamond
graphite and this time I went with black. This is actually my first black car. I've had it for a month and it's been a nightmare to keep clean. I had some bird poop on it and it immediately left marks in the clear coat which the black paint shows easily. And to top it off, I soaked the poop with water and detailed and rinsed it off. Then I started to rub with an extremely soft microfiber cloth and it left a ton of
scratches on the spot. How the hell do you wash this
damn car without scratching it?
Anyway, everytime I look at the car I love the way the black looks so I guess I'll have to look past the bad parts.

Quick Reply: Graphite shadow vs Black obsidian