G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Graphite shadow vs Black obsidian

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 AM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't you guys get scratch resistant paint on your '10s?
if yes poor some hot water and scatch is gone.

Otherwise get a graphite.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:23 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
no ionly the 09 had the self healing paint
Old 05-11-2010, 09:01 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stylin G

Quick question though, what is the difference between PG and GS? Both look exactly the same to me.
To me, PG looks like it doesn't have as much flake in it and its overall appearance has a brownish hue to it that the GS lacks....
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
To me, PG looks like it doesn't have as much flake in it and its overall appearance has a brownish hue to it that the GS lacks....
Yeah, I agree. There was an '09 coupe in PG sitting next to a '10 GS coupe and the GS definitely had more metal flake. It's also a more true grey, where PG does have a bit of a brownish hue to it. I think PG was discontinued for the 2010 model year and replaced with GS.

And the Amethyst Graphite is also a really nice color, but a bit lighter gray with a touch of blue in it.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Exige

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like everyone has said before me Black looks amazing but what a PITA. Normally its a pita just being black then you add in the infiniti paint ......
Old 05-11-2010, 12:07 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dude, even when dirty, OB still looks fantastic. OB FTGDMFW!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:05 PM
svp6

I went with the graphite shadow. Looks gorgeous in the sun - the subtly changes when viewed from different angles, they did a good job with the pain. The dealer had two cars parked perpendicular fashion; in bright sun I thought the colors are different, but they were in fact GS both.

In the end, just see what you like yourself, and be warned by previous posters re: black shows dirt much easier...
Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
SoonerDoc

Black.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:19 AM
philter25

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I think some people with the black comments are a little on the extreme.

I have black, and I keep my car clean.

I polish my car 2 times a year, once in the springtime, and then once in the fall. After I polish it to remove all the swirl marks, I put a coat of sealant on it. I wash with the 2 bucket method the car every 2 weeks and put spray on products on. With normal washes, the sealant will last about 3-6 months and if you put waxes on top of the sealants, it will hold for about 6 months.

When I polish my car, its been only light swirl marks that needed to be removed which were removed easily. I did my spring polish a few months ago and I washed the car this weekend and it was still flawless. No swirl marks that I could see.

The car is garaged parked about half of the time, and the other half its in the driveway.

If you maintain your car to this level, then black is a fantastic color. When cleaned, no color looks better on this car than black.

For people who might only wash their car once a month and dont wash or maintain their paint properly, then relatively speaking for them it will be a PITA. But for people who wash their car every 2 weeks in the spring/summer/fall and dont mind polishing it lightly 1-2 times a year, maintaining black isnt a PITA, its part of your normal routine.

So rather than hear someone say its a PITA, or someone say its easy, I think you need to understand relatively where they are coming from. Are they a slob with their car, or are they a clean person who washes it every 2 weeks.

Also, whats your normal routine cycle for maintaining the paint on the car and whats the amount you are willing to do? That should help you decide what color you can maintain to the level you are happy with.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by philter25
I think some people with the black comments are a little on the extreme.

I have black, and I keep my car clean.

I polish my car 2 times a year, once in the springtime, and then once in the fall. After I polish it to remove all the swirl marks, I put a coat of sealant on it. I wash with the 2 bucket method the car every 2 weeks and put spray on products on. With normal washes, the sealant will last about 3-6 months and if you put waxes on top of the sealants, it will hold for about 6 months.

When I polish my car, its been only light swirl marks that needed to be removed which were removed easily. I did my spring polish a few months ago and I washed the car this weekend and it was still flawless. No swirl marks that I could see.

The car is garaged parked about half of the time, and the other half its in the driveway.

If you maintain your car to this level, then black is a fantastic color. When cleaned, no color looks better on this car than black.

For people who might only wash their car once a month and dont wash or maintain their paint properly, then relatively speaking for them it will be a PITA. But for people who wash their car every 2 weeks in the spring/summer/fall and dont mind polishing it lightly 1-2 times a year, maintaining black isnt a PITA, its part of your normal routine.

So rather than hear someone say its a PITA, or someone say its easy, I think you need to understand relatively where they are coming from. Are they a slob with their car, or are they a clean person who washes it every 2 weeks.

Also, whats your normal routine cycle for maintaining the paint on the car and whats the amount you are willing to do? That should help you decide what color you can maintain to the level you are happy with.
That is a VERY good point. I do almost everything the exact same, aside from washing every weekend and waxing the first wash of every month and it NEVER is parked outside. But that is very true, I've got OB and think it is hands down the best color there is. It just depends how much work you are willing to spend with it. I love working on the car so I don't see it as a PITA, it just needs time
Old 05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by MNDZA
My last two g coupes were diamond
graphite and this time I went with black. This is actually my first black car. I've had it for a month and it's been a nightmare to keep clean. I had some bird poop on it and it immediately left marks in the clear coat which the black paint shows easily. And to top it off, I soaked the poop with water and detailed and rinsed it off. Then I started to rub with an extremely soft microfiber cloth and it left a ton of
scratches on the spot. How the hell do you wash this
damn car without scratching it?
Anyway, everytime I look at the car I love the way the black looks so I guess I'll have to look past the bad parts.
1) Never bring the car to a car wash.

2) Use plush micro-fiber clothes. Apply even pressure across the cloth and not on one spot like you did.

3) Be careful whenever you wipe the car down, make sure your paint surface is clean.

4) Have patients

5) Learn proper Washing Techniques. I recommend meguairs.com forums as a starting point.

6) Get fimilar with a Porter Cable, different types of pads, and Polishes to remove any swirls or light scratches you may have.

7) Good Luck to you, being a previous owner of an OB coupe I fully polished the car out twice, and had it polished by someone a third time over the course of two years. When the paint surface is swirl free and clean nothing looks as shinny and glossy as a black car.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MNDZA
My last two g coupes were diamond
graphite and this time I went with black. This is actually my first black car. I've had it for a month and it's been a nightmare to keep clean. I had some bird poop on it and it immediately left marks in the clear coat which the black paint shows easily. And to top it off, I soaked the poop with water and detailed and rinsed it off. Then I started to rub with an extremely soft microfiber cloth and it left a ton of
scratches on the spot. How the hell do you wash this
damn car without scratching it?
Anyway, everytime I look at the car I love the way the black looks so I guess I'll have to look past the bad parts.
Go to Detailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing Supplies and look at the "ask a pro" section, as well as their step by step "how to" section. They have extensive writeups on how to properly perform EVERY step in the cleaning process.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:10 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by philter25

....When cleaned, no color looks better on this car than black...

IMO, black kinda hides the beautiful lines of the car.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MSCA
IMO, black kinda hides the beautiful lines of the car.
I agree.
IMHO, GS is the best looking color for the G. That's why they picked the GS paint for the anniversary models.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM
marsb007

Originally Posted by JGabucci

1) Never bring the car to a car wash.

4) Have patients

6) Get fimilar with a Porter Cable, different types of pads, and Polishes to remove any swirls or light scratches you may have.
1) I take mine to a touchless, but I have PG so I'm not that worried about it.

4) Ahhh, you are a doctor... JK... I think you meant "patience".

6) The PC is great, and makes polishing your car a breeze and takes a lot less than doing it by hand.

Generally though, black is a PITA. Anyone that says otherwise is lying to you or trying to convince themselves it is not...

Quick Reply: Graphite shadow vs Black obsidian