Sponsored By:

A/C Died Today - Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 PM
tmartin316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy A/C Died Today - Thoughts?

Well this is a shocker...

I dropped my car off to be detailed (interior only) last night and everything was fine. I picked it up this afternoon, turn on the A/C..... and nothing. Great.

So when I turn the A/C on I can hear it start running in the engine (not sure which component it is that I am hearing), but there is absolutely nothing coming out any of the vents, not even a little bit. I'm assuming there is some kind of a blower mechanism that forces the air through the ventilation system and into the cabin -- if so, my uneducated guess says that perhaps that part died, since I can hear *something* running when I turn it on.

To preemptively answer a few follow-up questions, changing the temperature does not help, nor does adjusting the fan speed. I have not tried the heat to see if that functions, but I imagine it does not. When I turn the climate control system off completely, cool air comes in by your feet as it should, but I imagine that's just the vent's opening up and no component has to run to make that function.

Anyone have any ideas what could have happened? Is there a blower component (is that what it is called)?
Old 04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like the motor inside the A/C compressor went up.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this one is easy. ill take care of this guys...

you gotta change the MODE.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:13 AM
tmartin316

Originally Posted by Creepers
this one is easy. ill take care of this guys...

you gotta change the MODE.
lol, i wish
Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
juicybusa

Originally Posted by tmartin316
lol, i wish

DUDE! Seriously-He's not kidding!!!!!!!!! Change the mode
Old 04-25-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Agree with the above - try the mode switch. Sounds like it's on feet, and you're hitting every button except the one you need to hit.

The detailers probably changed it when they were cleaning the dash. Alternatively, just press the auto **** and it should change to front vents unless it's cold where you are.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM
tmartin316

Ok... I thought you guys were just kidding, but apparently not. It's not the mode button... no offense, but I'd have to be fairly dumb to not think of that already when I see that there is no air coming out of any of the vents.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
DashKid
Banned

If its under warranty they should cover this. Hell I would be mad if my a/c broke already.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:36 PM
tmartin316

Yea no kidding, it's like I have some 15 year old domestic car with all these problems I've had. Seriously? The A/C died on my 2008 Infiniti luxury sports car? Really? I didn't know that was possible.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tmartin316
Ok... I thought you guys were just kidding, but apparently not. It's not the mode button... no offense, but I'd have to be fairly dumb to not think of that already when I see that there is no air coming out of any of the vents.
Well, people overlook things all the time - stuff happens.

Definitely have the dealer check it out. This is the first I've heard of anyone having a/c fan motor issues. You might want to check fuses...it seems odd that the detailers had it for a day, and something is broken afterwards. I'm not saying they did anything, but you might want to make sure they didn't do anything. lol

On a related note, I find the a/c in this car to be the best of any car I've owned, including Lexus, Ford, Pontiac, Chrysler/Dodge, and even Nissan (2000 Maxima). Regardless of how how it is outside or in the cabin, it gets cold quickly and cools off the black cabin very quickly.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:05 PM
tmartin316

Originally Posted by 15951
Well, people overlook things all the time - stuff happens.

Definitely have the dealer check it out. This is the first I've heard of anyone having a/c fan motor issues. You might want to check fuses...it seems odd that the detailers had it for a day, and something is broken afterwards. I'm not saying they did anything, but you might want to make sure they didn't do anything. lol

On a related note, I find the a/c in this car to be the best of any car I've owned, including Lexus, Ford, Pontiac, Chrysler/Dodge, and even Nissan (2000 Maxima). Regardless of how how it is outside or in the cabin, it gets cold quickly and cools off the black cabin very quickly.
Thanks - yes I agree it's been good up until now. Good call on the fuses - can't imagine they would have done anything there, but it's possible... though it seems to turn on properly - there is just no actual air coming through the vents. Something to check though. I'm planning to call the dealer tomorrow for an appointment. I'll keep everyone posted what the cause was. Although it would be unlikely for the detailers to have done something, it's awfully strange timing.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on a fuse. It sounds like it'll probably be an easy fix at any rate....
Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yep check the fuse first. If not probably just a defective part. Expect it from any car manufacturer. A fan replacement is under warranty no problemo!
Old 04-26-2010, 05:07 PM
xevious10

Well, today I went to the dealership to fix some annoying interior rattle noises and complained about a whiring noise from the AC. Turns out I need a new AC compressor. Go figure. Anyway time to put some miles on the loaner for a few days.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:02 PM
tmartin316

Resolution:
Took my car to the dealer today and they said the blower motor had died. They have no idea why/how, it just happened. Thankfully they had the part in stock so I'm getting it back this afternoon. Very strange how this happened all of a sudden after taking it to the detailer haha. It was covered under warranty thankfully.

One nice thing about this whole problem though was that I got to test drive an EX loaner today haha.

Quick Reply: A/C Died Today - Thoughts?