G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My G37S might be a lemon. Any help or guidance to this G37 newb would be great!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM
totempole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My G37S might be a lemon. Inline pics of issues

Hi All,

So I purchased a used 2008 G37S 6MT with 18K on the clock about 2 weeks ago. Ever since then I've had all sorts of issues with this car. So much so I'm beginning to regret the purchase :/

Here are the issues Ive had so far and any help with any of them would be greatly appreciated!

1) The Service Engine light is constantly on. Always a "Very Small Leak in the Evap Control System" code. Taken it to the dealership twice to get it checked out. Had the evap valve and canister replaced to no effect. Came back on after about 50 miles or so.

2) Driver side window leaking water every time theres even a slight drizzle. Ran the reset procedure on the window and it minimized the leaking a little.
Here are a couple pictures of it:

Window 2:

You will notice the water stains between the beading and door seal and not the window and beading.

3) Yesterday rained heavily out here in MA and I stepped into the car only to find out the passenger side floor resembling a swimming pool. All I could hear was water dripping down behind the dashboard and seemingly appearing on the passenger side floor. Here's a pic of it AFTER I mopped up most of it.

So i tried a couple tests this afternoon and poured a bottle of water down the grill/vent near the middle but on the right side of the windshield. I found the water going straight down and leaking out close to the center underside of the car. I think it should be channeled to the right side If Im not mistaken?

To be fair, besides these problems, she drives beautifully and absolutely brings a smile to my face every time I take her out for a spin but its these seemingly "small" issues that scare the crap out of me. This is my first truly nice car after having stepped up from an '04 TSX 6MT.

Any ideas? Is this car a lemon?

Last edited by totempole; 04-18-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Inline pics
Old 04-18-2010, 06:17 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, the water leakage is unacceptable for sure. I would take it to the dealer and demand a fix as well as a replacement of all the carpeting and speakers (that got wet) at the very least...
Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those are issues that are covered by warranty. if they cant fix them, find a new dealer or talk to the service manager. well atleast now you know why the first guy sold that car
Old 04-18-2010, 06:32 PM
deepFlip

did u buy it from the dealer?
Old 04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
totempole

Thanks all. Yea unfortunately I'm the sucker who had the buy it... Just my luck! Just wondering though, could I contest this as a lemon since I only bought it two weeks ago? I know lemon laws go into effect only when the same issue occurs 3-4 times but I dont know if it covers many different issue occurring all at the same time.

The guy who sold it to me is apologetic but I dont know what good that does to me! He did offer to fix it if the infiniti dealership failed but my only worry is that he's a mitsu dealer and am not sure if that would void all future infiiniti warranty.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:46 PM
totempole

Originally Posted by deepFlip
did u buy it from the dealer?
No, I didnt buy it from this dealer although thats a whole nother story. I put money down for an '08 with 7k miles that they were selling. They took my money but sold it anyway and returned my check. So I looked for a similar car elsewhere and found the one i own now at a nearby mitsu dealer.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 PM
gooddeal

I might be wrong but if the Infini cannot really fix it, you might need to go after Mitsu dealer to return the car. I think you can only go after Infiniti if you buy a brand new car.

I doubt that the Mitsu dealer doesn't know about the leaking issue. They might even got this car for really cheap and just try to unload it to the buyer.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:23 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Doesn't matter who you buy it from, the warranty transfers. Infiniti should not refuse warranty work.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Skates
Registered Member

I would check to see if the car has a clean title...

And that may not mean much either since there are ways of cleaning car titles.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Doesn't matter who you buy it from, the warranty transfers. Infiniti should not refuse warranty work.
This.

All of your issues are covered under the basic warranty of 4 years/60k miles from the original in-service date.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
go back to the Mitsu dealership.... I know in New York state there is a 90 day warranty that they can protect you the buyer
Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 AM
Kevin Firth

@totempole: From your post I think you are from Massachusetts. Good news is MA state does cover used cars. Bad news is, according to law - If your new or leased vehicle has a substantial defect that still exists or recurs after a reasonable number of repair attempts, then you may have the right to a refund or replacement vehicle. Keep in mind that not all car problems are serious enough to qualify under the Lemon Law. So, as you said, the issues you are facing, I too am not sure if they are very substantial. Having said that, since we are not sure how you can get rid of your G375 and also get some advantage out of it, why don't you get some professional help? There are websites where you can submit details of your car and get a free consultation and check if you can avail the lemon laws of Massachusetts. Refer Massachusetts Lemon Law, google for free lemon law case submissions or something like that. Hope you will get some help. Keep us posted.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Haji

Open up your hood, and take the trim off around the battery. Check the grommet thats in the left corner and see if it's cut or something. That seems to me like a reasonable guess considering someone may have put a system in and never sealed it after pulling the power wire back through.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Beer Magazine

Why not get them or Infiniti to try and fix the problem. People just cry and say they want a new car when they bought a used one. There IS a reason that used car is called USED. And with USED comes things you don't know about.

But the dealer you bought it from should fix it, or you can just go to Infiniti..but be warned if somebody installed an amp and cut a hole in seals, it's NOT Infiniti's problem...which is why you go to the dealer.

I'll NEVER buy a used car from a different dealer. I went with a friend and the sales guy basically said they just stick them on a lot. She was looking at a WRX that had all sorts of mods and a huge vacuum leak that I heard from in the car and popped back on before we took off.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:22 AM
Kevin Firth

Hi totempole. What happend to your G37S issue? Any new developments?

Quick Reply: My G37S might be a lemon. Any help or guidance to this G37 newb would be great!