Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Smart Key glove or rubber jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:27 PM
WRX_to_G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smart Key glove or rubber jacket?

I've dropped my smart key twice already and fear I'm going to break the damn thing, should I keep this up. So in hopes of protecting my key and wallet from myself, I'm looking for a way to protect the fob. So far, I have two options, one on eBay, the other at Grubbs.

First, the glove from a vendor in Taiwan via eBat: infiniti 4 button smart key, eBay Motors. Great deals on eBay!. Not the best looking solution, but I would imagine this would work just fine.

The jacket is listed by Grubbs Infiniti in Texas and goes for about the same money as the glove and provide a more appealing, OEM look. Infiniti OEM Parts Cheap & Nissan Factory Dealer Parts

My question is, has anyone used either product, and if you have, were you satisfied? Are there better options than either approach available? I tried doing a search, but did not find anything applicable. If I missed something, please share a link to an existing thread. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 02:30 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think black betty has these ask him
Old 04-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have both the cover that terrycs makes and sells and a rubber skin like the Grubbs one you linked to. I personally like the rubber skin. It lasted almost 2 years. I'm on my second one now.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:55 PM
MYROC

I always put my fob in my pocket as soon as i leave home , so the chance of me dropping it is slim to none. JMO
Old 04-18-2010, 06:05 PM
BHB 91

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one I got from Sewell and it leatherette with a full piece of clear plastic that covers the buttons. I have had it for a year and is still doing pretty good but starting to wear. It has done it's job perfectly, though. The fob is scratch free and has no wear. I put my fob in my pocket every morning and it stays in my pocket until I come home.

That being said, I think I like that one you found at Grubbs better.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 AM
mindonmatter

I have the one from Grubbs and I love it. I found mine on Amazon. It's cheap, fits great, and protects the fob well. I kept having problems with accidentally pushing the buttons in my pocket. This solved that problem. I didn't want one of those cheezy-azz gloves that I've seen at the dealer.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought mine from terrycs and it's held up pretty well after 2 years. I think I need a replacement soon since the "leather" on the front is pretty worn, but it still gets the job done. I just don't like the rubber covers (at least the ones I've seen) because they don't protect the buttons.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM
bobmcc

Originally Posted by mindonmatter
I have the one from Grubbs and I love it. I found mine on Amazon. It's cheap, fits great, and protects the fob well. I kept having problems with accidentally pushing the buttons in my pocket. This solved that problem. I didn't want one of those cheezy-azz gloves that I've seen at the dealer.
.....and the dealer one costs 7 bucks!! It looks like it costs 15 cents to make!!
Old 04-20-2010, 12:34 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I got mine from terrycs here on the forum.

I like his because it covers the whole key fob, including the buttons.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:07 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine from terrycs on the forums and its nice it covers the fob well. After about 2.5 years of usage it's pretty worn out and falling apart and ready to begin using the second one (I bought a pair), I'd say 2.5 years was a pretty reasonable durability. Here's what it looks like at 2.5 years, casing is worn badly and plastic has gotten brittle and has cracked:

Old 04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's just a matter of preference. Both designs do an excellent job protecting your key fob. It's like choosing between ribbed for her pleasure and ultra thin.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Jamler

Just ordered a pair of the Grubbs ones...
Infiniti OEM Parts Cheap & Nissan Factory Dealer Parts

Guy said, they're solid and will last forever...
Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I ordered a pair (one black and one red), from Grubbs, Monday. They should be here in a day or two. I hope they help keep the buttons from accidentally being pushed. I have had the trunk button accidentally pushed twice and I have only had the car for a month. I always keep the key in my pocket and just use the buttons on the car to open the doors and trunk and lock the doors.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:43 PM
mindonmatter

Originally Posted by movinon
I hope they help keep the buttons from accidentally being pushed. I have had the trunk button accidentally pushed twice and I have only had the car for a month. I always keep the key in my pocket and just use the buttons on the car to open the doors and trunk and lock the doors.
It does work in preventing the buttons from getting pushed. I kept having that problem too, and the rubber cover has stopped it from happening. The remote shouldn't have been designed with the buttons flush on the front; they should have been recessed.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
how much is shipping for the grubbs?

Quick Reply: Smart Key glove or rubber jacket?