Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

7AT vs 6MT acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Ender17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7AT vs 6MT acceleration

I've been searching for the last 30 minutes or so trying to find a definitive answer as to which transmission is faster for the couple.

7AT or 6MT? I know the consensus that they're really close, but I haven't seen any direct comparisons. Maybe I just suck at searching, but if anyone has actual test data, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't think there is any "test data" out there. If there is, I'm sure everyone would be quick to point out all the faults (that's the way it is around here).

I suggest you go to a dealership and test drive both. You'll know right away which one is faster.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Ender17

Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
I suggest you go to a dealership and test drive both. You'll know right away which one is faster.
that's hardly a scientific test
it seems simple, just line them up and go, out of the thousands of G37 cars out there I can't believe there isn't data on this
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Take a look at the car mag websites (e.g. caranddriver, motortrend, roadandtrack, edmunds straightline), they have plenty of articles up there that usually test auto & manual versions of the coupe/sedan.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ender17
it seems simple, just line them up and go, out of the thousands of G37 cars out there I can't believe there isn't data on this
...ok. there isn't much if any data. GL finding it though
Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ender17

What is your version of a scientific test? You take two cars right off the lot and line them up and someone is going to call out the drivers are different. You "data log" on some sort of test equipment and someone will question the tolerances of the equipment. If you don't find the exact same car with different transmissions someone will call out a weight difference. If you don't do the same tests on the same day, at the same time, in the same area, someone will cry all kinds of fouls.

I know my version of scientic... it's called Vericom. But there is still going to be others out there with their own opinion. The differences in the two are going to be hard to measure without something very accurate. But, the seat of the pants feeling is going to be huge with the manual.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:43 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does it matter if one is .01 seconds faster to 60 or not. Seat of the pants is the only factor you need to worry about because its the one you will live with day in and day out....
The following users liked this post:
telcoman (03-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Ender17

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
Why does it matter if one is .01 seconds faster to 60 or not. Seat of the pants is the only factor you need to worry about because its the one you will live with day in and day out....
nice car, I just bought the exact same thing
Old 04-14-2010, 12:57 AM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
+1, even if there is a slight difference in the two, you're never going to notice it, one should never use .01 second to decide whether to go auto or MT, it should be which you feel more comfortable/enjoyable driving.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Redline37
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
In the future it will be G37 dct vs manual. lol. Dct to go faster, manual to look cooler!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 AM
JLai

If memory serves, 7AT has more aggressive gearing...but also has an extra gear to shift. So...

In all honesty, get what you will enjoy driving daily. Auto is going to have more lag and 6MT will be more responsive. By that same note, 6MT isn't that great in stop and go traffic.

For an IMO response, 6MT is more fun to drive in general. That alone negates any type of argument for me, as the G is not a dedicated sports car. If I just wanted something ***** out fast, I wouldn't have bought a G37...Thus 0.01 second difference 0-60 is negligible.

Last edited by JLai; 04-14-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Surfdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JLai
For an IMO response, 6MT is more fun to drive in general. That alone negates any type of argument for me, as the G is not a dedicated sports car. If I just wanted something ***** out fast, I wouldn't have bought a G37...Thus 0.01 second difference 0-60 is negligible.
+1!

If you want something faster get the 370Z and save a bit of money too.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM
majin ssj eric

The reason I got the 7AT this time was that, in all honesty, I was very unimpressed with the 6MT tranny in my 08. The clutch was awkward to engage and did not feel very stout (I was convinced it was on the edge of going bad after just 39k miles). Plus the NVH of the manual is a little over the top. Revving that thing to 7500 made the whole car vibrate like a blender set to frappe.

The 7AT is MUCH smoother at redline and is far easier to live with day-to-day. It feels faster to my seat-o-the pants dyno and I'm getting around 3-4 more mpg. The shift lag is a little annoying but as flappy-paddle gearboxes go, its not bad.

A good 6MT will always be more fun to drive just for driving's sake, but the 7AT is a better fit for me in this car....
Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM
demuslee

I've read somewhere that the 7AT in the DS mode is faster than the 6MT because the computer shifts at the optimum RPM. I tried the 0-60 in my DS mode and got 5.4 in 93 degree weather.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:48 AM
The Jewbag

The bottom line is, humans cannot shift faster than a computer.

Quick Reply: 7AT vs 6MT acceleration