G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They replaced my rotors under warranty for this exact thing. There is a TSB for it somwhere....
Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Vibration at speed is an issue with wheel balance; wrapped rotors would not cause vibrations unless you're hitting the brakes.
I thought that was common knowledge.
Then how come after they resurfaced mine under the TSB the vibrations I was getting in the steering wheel went away? It was definatly more prominent under braking but there was still a very slight shudder above 60mph even when just cruising.

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
i doubt theyll cover your brakes under warranty. its a wear and tear item.
Originally Posted by 08Gsmith25
this...

i have never heard of brakes being covered by a warranty. thats like them replacing your clutch if it goes out. i am taking my g in for the muffler tsb thursday, and i will feel this out just in case since mine has small vibrations at 30K miles....
Yes there is a TSB out for this. Apparently there is insufficient air flow around the front brakes that has been causing them to warp prematurely. For the TSB they resurface the rotors and install shields like on the rear brakes to help direct air flow better. I think the TSB states it will only cover up to 15K miles or so, but I've heard people getting it done with up to 25-30K miles.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:26 AM
EL3CTRO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update: Went to infiniti of Manhattan and had my rotors/pads replaced under warranty. TSB 09-037 is what refers to prematurely warped rotors.

BTW, i have 10K miles on my car
Old 04-14-2010, 12:50 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I had around 30k when they replaced mine...
Old 04-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by EL3CTRO
Update: Went to infiniti of Manhattan and had my rotors/pads replaced under warranty. TSB 09-037 is what refers to prematurely warped rotors.

BTW, i have 10K miles on my car
anyone know where i can get a pdf of this tsb?
would like to show it to my dealer as this problem is slowly cropping up on my g.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
demuslee

Well I took my G37 coupe in and the service writer said there IS a TSB for the front brakes. Apparntely, there back plate is too small causing the rotors to not wear properly and causing juddering. He said they have recieved the new backplate and will resurface the rotors. I am picking up my coupe this evening. I did a google search on TSBs for this particular problem on the 2009 G37 coupe and found this:

2009 Infiniti G37 Coupe Electric Brake TSBs
TSB Number: ITB-09-037 NHTSA Number: 10030576 TSB Date: August 6, 2009 Date Added to File: October 22, 2009
Failing Component:
Service Brakes, Electric
Summary:
Infiniti: while braking, especially when braking at highway speeds, the steering wheel shakes and/or the body vibrates and/or the brake pedal pulsates (also known as brake judder).
Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
demuslee

FYI the TSBs are available online as a public document by going to the NHTSA website's technical bulletin section: ODI - Office of Defects Investigation. Here you can do a search for any vehicle in their database. I did one for mine (2009 G37 coupe) and found this:

Make : INFINITI Model : G37 COUPE Year : 2009
Manufacturer : NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-062 Date of Bulletin : NOV 17, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10032524
Component : EQUIPMENT:OTHER:OWNERS/SERVICE/OTHER MANUAL
Summary :
INFINITI: VENT CONTROL VALVE REPLACEMENT. NO APPLIED VEHICLES AFFECTED: ALL MODELS; NO MODEL YEARS LISTED. *PE

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-050 Date of Bulletin : SEP 29, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10031304
Component : TIRES:PRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS
Summary :
INFINITI: TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (TPMS) WARNING LIGHT ON/BLINKING. NO MODELS OR MODEL YEARS LISTED. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-032 Date of Bulletin : SEP 28, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10030084
Component : POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary :
INFINITI: AFFECTED VEHICLES HAS A HARSH 4-3 DOWNSHIFT WHILE COASTING AT 30-20MPH, WITH CLOSED THROTTLE CONDITION. ENGINE BRAKING MAY ALSO BE FELT UNDER SAME DRIVING CONDITIONS. *PE UPDATED 12/2/09. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-037 Date of Bulletin : AUG 06, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10030576
Component : SERVICE BRAKES, ELECTRIC
Summary :
INFINITI: WHILE BRAKING, ESPECIALLY WHEN BRAKING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, THE STEERING WHEEL SHAKES AND/OR THE BODY VIBRATES AND/OR THE BRAKE PEDAL PULSATES (ALSO KNOWN AS BRAKE JUDDER). *PE

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-010A Date of Bulletin : JUN 05, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10030147
Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM
Summary :
INFINITI: VEHICLE HAS THE MIL ON WITH DTC P0116 (ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR) STORED IN THE ECM AND THERE ARE NO DRIVABILITY ISSUES. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-020 Date of Bulletin : APR 06, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10030145
Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY:CABLES
Summary :
INFINITI: ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT DAMAGE CAN RESULT FROM IMPROPER BATTERY CONNECTION. THE BATTERY IS REQUIRED TO STAY CONNECTED WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. NO MODEL YEARS LISTED. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-09-020 Date of Bulletin : APR 06, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10030145
Component : ELECTRICAL SYSTEM:BATTERY
Summary :
INFINITI: ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT DAMAGE CAN RESULT FROM IMPROPER BATTERY CONNECTION. THE BATTERY IS REQUIRED TO STAY CONNECTED WHEN THE ENGINE IS RUNNING. NO MODEL YEARS LISTED. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-08-024A Date of Bulletin : JUL 21, 2008
NHTSA Item Number : 10032305
Component : AIR BAGS
Summary :
INFINITI: SRS PRECAUTIONS DURING SERVICE. INCLUDED IN THE RESTRAINTS SECTION OF THE ELECTRONIC SERVICE MANUAL (ESM) FOR EACH VEHICLE IS INFORMATION NECESSARY TO SERVICE THE SUPPLEMENTAL RESTRAINT SYSTEM (SRS) SAFELY. IMPROPER MAINTENANCE, INCLUDING INCORRECT REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF THE SRS, CAN LEAD TO A SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH CAUSED BY UNINTENTIONAL ACTIVATION OF THE SRS. NO MODEL OR MODEL YEARS LISTED. *PE

Service Bulletin Number : ITB-03-051C Date of Bulletin : JUL 21, 2008
NHTSA Item Number : 10032304
Component : EXTERIOR LIGHTING
Summary :
INFINITI: EXTERIOR LAMP FOGGING. WATER IN THE EXTERIOR LAMPS. THIS IS GENERALLY NOT DUE TO A DEFECT. ALL CURRENT EXTERIOR LAMP ASSEMBLIES ARE VENTED TO THE ATMOSPHERE (NOT SEALED). MOISTURE IN THE AIR SOMETIMES TRAVELS INTO AND OUT OF THE LAMP ASSEMBLY THROUGH THESE VENTS. NECESSARY TO ALLOW FOR EXPANSION AND CONTRACTION OF AIR FROM TEMPERATURE VARIATIONS (WARMER OR COLDER) WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THE LAMP. CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE MOISTURE TO CONDENSE. FOGGING/CLOUDINESS SHOULD DISAPPEAR OVER TIME WHEN THE LAMP IS IN A DRY ENVIRONMENT. *PE

Component : EXTERIOR LIGHTING:TAIL LIGHTS
Summary :
INFINITI: EXTERIOR LAMP FOGGING. WATER IN THE EXTERIOR LAMPS. THIS IS GENERALLY NOT DUE TO A DEFECT. ALL CURRENT EXTERIOR LAMP ASSEMBLIES ARE VENTED TO THE ATMOSPHERE (NOT SEALED). MOISTURE IN THE AIR SOMETIMES TRAVELS INTO AND OUT OF THE LAMP ASSEMBLY THROUGH THESE VENTS. NECESSARY TO ALLOW FOR EXPANSION AND CONTRACTION OF AIR FROM TEMPERATURE VARIATIONS (WARMER OR COLDER) WITHOUT DAMAGE TO THE LAMP. CERTAIN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS MAY CAUSE MOISTURE TO CONDENSE. FOGGING/CLOUDINESS SHOULD DISAPPEAR OVER TIME WHEN THE LAMP IS IN A DRY ENVIRONMENT. *PE

Component : EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS:CONCEALMENT DEVICES
Summary :

Component : EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS
Summary :

Component : EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS
Summary :
Old 04-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
on the above site you have to pay if you want the access the pdf.

if you goto infinitihelp dot come and register there you can get the TSP pdf files for free.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:46 PM
gyukang2

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As everyone says, it's about the rotors. Also it's not just you, but for every G. Somehow infiniti rotors gets warped very easily.....
Old 04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Stoptech Rotors FTW
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM
demuslee

Just got my car back from the dealership ... they replaced the backing panel or whatever part that was causing the rotor to not cool properly and resurfaced the rotor - no charge. The brakes feel 100% better now after the fix. Hopefully they last.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I wonder if this affets the verts, since parts are shared up to the a-pillar.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:55 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
If it's vibrate and pulsing when you break at higher speeds. I'm gonna say it's your rotors. Need new one or you need them machined. Don't brake so hard to avoid that problem in the future. Doubt Infiniti will cover your breaks and you probably need new pads also once you machine or change your rotors.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:15 AM
joey_v

I went to the dealer when I was 11K... they said they had an ongoing issue with the brakes and PREMATURE warping - I got a full free brakes set for all warped rotors.

MAKE SURE YOU GET FREE ROTORS! DO NOT pay for it!!

This is Infiniti's problem, they should not warp so early.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:16 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My brakes are starting to warp a bit too

I'm at 15K.

What is intersting is that my Altima SE-R, which came from the factory with the larger brakes from the Maxima (big deal right)..started to warp too. BUT...they seemed to fix themselves...weird.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Vibration