G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Aftermarket exhaust and rims on a G37x coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:00 AM
JimJones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust and rims on a G37x coupe?

Hello everyone,
I apologize if this has been covered before but I can't find anything with the search function that really covers my questions. I am about to buy a G but I am torn between the G37x and the G37 journey. I am leaning towards the x for the extra peace of mind with regards to driving in bad weather. I am currently in South Carolina but since I am in the military I could potentially end up somewhere with a lot of snow. I have already sifted through all the posts regarding the value of snow tires...The two main questions I have are:

1. Can I put aftermarket rims on the x without messing anything up with the AWD system. I have read some conflicting accounts and I was wondering if anyone has a definative answer.

2. Can I put an aftermarket exhaust on the x? I have read some posts from people saying they have done it but they had to modify the exhaust. Is that the case that if I want an aftermarket exhaust I will have to find a shop to modify it?

I am ready to pull the trigger on my purchase but I don't think I want the G37x if I can't modify it. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 AM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't see why not.
rims are rims, just pay attention to size and offset.
exhaust, if they had to modify, it would probably be only manifold, front pipe, center and rear should be same.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:59 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if modifying is your thing, dont get awd. barely anything for it compared to the rwd models.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
1). You can put rims on your car but they would have to be the same size all around. I have a G35xS sedan and I have 20x9 All around for a year and half and have no problems.
2). I'm not sure about the exhaust you may have a problem with the Y pipe hitting the transfer case because of the AWD ( that was the case with my car). But I think you will get a better answer from the vendors on this forum who sell the exhaust.

If you want to go crazy and put turbos and things like that I would say get the journey or sport and forget the AWD, and if you will be content with just wheels, exhaust, intake etc... Then get the AWD.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
also being in the military (AF) and having a G37S RWD...I think if you want to do any modding beyond wheels/tires then get the journey. If you are stationed somewhere with really bad weather, you can buy some winter tires.

It's not worth it (IMHO) to get the AWD for the low amount of time you will be in bad weather (let's face it, the # of bases/posts in good weather far outweigh the bad weather ones)
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 AM
skass

You sound like an officer, and can't see the forest for the trees - don't mean to offend - I've had my Journey for only two months, what and why would I want to upgrade anything? This thing is smart AND ballistic! Who cares about rims? My opinion only ... I came from a WRX ...
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 AM
JimJones

You are correct, I am an officer...the reason I want to upgrade is because i don't like the stock rims and I would like the option to upgrade to a nicer set that suits my tastes. I am not a performance enthusiast but I would also like to upgrade the exhaust simply for the sound, any added performance benefits are just a bonus.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:01 AM
DashKid
Banned

Jim Jones what part of Korea are you at? If your still in Korea we should meet up some times.

1) No it wouldn't mess it up
2) Yes you can put after market exhausts on the X.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Breitling65

You could get any rims from tirerack for example, only kids care about wider rim thingy on rear. If you are watching world rally racing you will see most cars there with AWD.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:58 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes you can mess up the AWD system with staggered rims. Make sure they are the same width all the way around. Some people will say no, some will say yes...why take the risk?

The exhaust can be modified
Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JimJones
You are correct, I am an officer...the reason I want to upgrade is because i don't like the stock rims and I would like the option to upgrade to a nicer set that suits my tastes. I am not a performance enthusiast but I would also like to upgrade the exhaust simply for the sound, any added performance benefits are just a bonus.
definitely get the journey. then you don't have to worry about checking to make sure everything fits right on the AWD
Old 04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
So what exhausts fit the g37x coupe??
Old 04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by pauliewalnutzz
So what exhausts fit the g37x coupe??
come out to the officialTSZ meets out in Long Island... Vinnytenracing.com has been working on plenty of G37x coupes and sedans now installing springs, exhausts, HFC's, etc.... you can hear my exhaust if you want to in person.... don t have a good sound clip on it