Advice needed for dealer service issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for dealer service issue

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue.

My driver side window sometimes goes down halfway after going auto up. This was not fixed by a reset. So I took it to the dealer.

First visit, I went in to get a new key re-cut for me because the first time they gave me another person's key by mistake, as it's my spare I never tested it out until my battery died 1 year later. The driver's window was acting up at this point but when I was at the dealer it stopped giving the issue and I could not replicate it so I went back.

Visit #1 Week 1
Infiniti Tech attempted to do manual reset failed. Waited 2 hours. Decided to order new motor

Visit #2 Week 2
New motor arrives, sent car in got a courtesy car. Received call saying the motor they received was for the right side of the door window, in fact their whole Canada inventory stock was mislabeled. Went back pick up the car.

Visit #3 Week 3
New motor arrives, this time it's the correct one. Sent car in got a courtesy car. Received call saying this one is broken. Went back to pick up the car.

Visit #4 Week 4
Sent car in, got a courtesy car. They installed new motor and asked me if they could keep the car over the weekend and pickup Monday to test. I said okay, and picked up the car monday night and when I tested the window same problem.

Visit #5 Week 5
I called them up to make an appointment, they said they have another motor in stock and can install it next week, however they don't have any courtesy car so they will provide me with a rental.

So in total next week will be my 5th visit to fix the same issue. Having to drive there and back is starting to become quite a hassle for such a small issue (i would think)...

Anyone have any ideas what I should do next if it still doesn't get fixed after the 5th visit?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:45 PM
Shane D
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by kkokko
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue.

Anyone have any ideas what I should do next if it still doesn't get fixed after the 5th visit?
What part of Canada are you in? I am SO hoping that is not my local dealership you are dealing with.

Good luck!

Shane D
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 PM
nwryuber

been there... that was one of my 30 different problems with this car. ive had my car at the dealership 3 different times and they couldnt fix it the first 2 times, but they did fix it this past week.... idk what they did. they told me there was "nothing wrong with it", but they everything before, and finally got it fixed.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM
MYROC

I would keep the courtesy car and not bring it back till my car was completely fix , thats just me though.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Yea, there are only 3 dealers around my area, Vancouver BC. So I don't really want to make enemies ...

But it's starting to get really frustrating since it seems like a minor problem ~_~
Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Gobbler Man

just think of it like this. your car is sitting there nice, safe and sound. you are putting miles on their loaner, but still enjoying a G. it is like you are getting a free month of driving...haha.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, there are only 3 dealers around my area, Vancouver BC. So I don't really want to make enemies ...

But it's starting to get really frustrating since it seems like a minor problem ~_~
there is a fine line between making enemies and deciding to stand your ground and not get given the BS anymore. I didnt want to be mean to my dealer but when they start giving me attitude and the run around, I will let them know how I feel
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 PM
nwryuber

scratch that.... today is 2nd day car is back, and the windows are acting up again... it didnt do it yesterday. must've been a temporary fix.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Going up and then back down happens to my window and my dad's window.

Doesn't happen every time but it happens once in a while. We both have an 08 G37S.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
At some point like now is a time to go to the Service Manager and explain your upset since you have every right to be. I had similar issue at dealership took it there 5 times in 1 week and half. I let them know I wasn't happy but kept my cool. They actually apologized and did a couple of TSBs on my car I didn't really notice- one for rear clicking noise on rear end and other is replacing muffler for rattle noise. Opps forgot to add they offered a discount on my Coilover installation coming up.

I also have the same issue with my Window and after 3 resets (2 different types of resets according to this forum) it still has the issue winding half way down. I'l lhave to take it back to dealership for this soon.

NOTE* For me, I find its triggered only when winding both windows down and then winding them both up at same time. When both hit the top, the drivers side rebounds to half wound up.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like the Anti-Pinch feature is somehow activating.

From the service manual, the motor has a built-in encoder that detects the motor operation during auto-close. The power window switch reads the encoder signal and stops the AUTO operation when the window reaches the max open or close limit (I assume the encoder value indicates the limit).

Anti-Pinch feature is based on the window hitting an object during the close cycle which causes a change to the motor rotation that changes the frequency of the encoder pulse frequency. When the power window switch detects that change in encoder frequency it reverses the window lowering it 150mm or 2 seconds. That's about 6 inches - see if that's the amount your window is opening.

So if this is the problem, then changing the motor doesn't fix anything. Either there's a resistance in the window movement that is triggering the anti-pinch feature, or the power door switch is somehow reading the encoder signal incorrectly and activating the anti-pinch feature. I'm leaning to the first possibility since this problem seems to occur randomly and may be the result of dirt over time impacting the window movement.

Are you noticing any change in window movement or sound (straining?) as it approaches the close position?
Old 04-01-2010, 05:57 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Wow what kind of discoutn did they offer you for the coilover install?

It does make some squeaky noise sometimes...
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
It sounds like the Anti-Pinch feature is somehow activating.

From the service manual, the motor has a built-in encoder that detects the motor operation during auto-close. The power window switch reads the encoder signal and stops the AUTO operation when the window reaches the max open or close limit (I assume the encoder value indicates the limit).

Anti-Pinch feature is based on the window hitting an object during the close cycle which causes a change to the motor rotation that changes the frequency of the encoder pulse frequency. When the power window switch detects that change in encoder frequency it reverses the window lowering it 150mm or 2 seconds. That's about 6 inches - see if that's the amount your window is opening.

So if this is the problem, then changing the motor doesn't fix anything. Either there's a resistance in the window movement that is triggering the anti-pinch feature, or the power door switch is somehow reading the encoder signal incorrectly and activating the anti-pinch feature. I'm leaning to the first possibility since this problem seems to occur randomly and may be the result of dirt over time impacting the window movement.

Are you noticing any change in window movement or sound (straining?) as it approaches the close position?
Thanks for the informative info. I'll check to see if its 6 inches and post back.

Wow what kind of discoutn did they offer you for the coilover install?

It does make some squeaky noise sometimes...
I got a 50% discount!
Old 04-02-2010, 03:19 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Trying to keep a long story short (based on experience), skip the Service Manager and ask to speak to the Sales Manager. Explain your situation (be nice) and explain that part of the sales process is touting how great the service department is (can't imagine they didn't). Tell them based on your experience, this will be the last car you buy from them.

I did that with a new Sienna we bought in '98 .... let's just say they kissed my a$$. Sales mgr (who must carry more clout) pulled me and the service manager into a conference room and laid out a plan on how the service manager was going to address my needs and make me satisfied. It worked!