G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

My car claimed there was no key when I went to start it..with keyfob in pocket.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Arvig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car claimed there was no key when I went to start it..with keyfob in pocket.

Hello,

I've only had this happen once, maybe 30 minutes ago.

Anyway, I was leaving my parent's place after a visit with them, and got into my car. I put on my seatbelt, then pushed the "Start" button. It gave the warning "No KEY" with a key graphic in the little LCD in between the gauges, and then a graphic to slide the keyfob into the slot in the far left of the dash. I didn't do this, instead I pulled my keys out of my pocket (as an aside, the keychain/fob was in my left pocket), push the button and it starts fine. So, I push to turn off the car, put my keys and the keyfob into my pocket and push, it starts. I even on a lark pull the actual key out of the fob, start it with just the fob proper in my left hand, then put it back together, turn off the car and start it one last time with the keys back in my pocket (along with the fob) and drive home.

So..to ask a couple questions here:

1) Best I remember from the manual it's not the low battery warning for the keyfob. But could this be an indication of low battery? I'd be amazed if so, I got my car Dec. 14th 2009, it's a 2009 G37x Coupe.

2) Assuming I don't see this again (or if I do it's months from now) is this just a one time quirk, don't worry about it?

Or..

3) It is an indication of something odd, mention it when I go in for an oil change (or maybe even have an appointment made now, although I'm close to due for one anyway).

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Haji

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm willing to bet it's number 2, the car may have just not recognized the key at the moment but seems as though it worked fine afterwards.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 PM
DanMardik

I'm going with 2 & 3. Goodluck
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 PM
amv1017

Originally Posted by DanMardik
I'm going with 2 & 3. Goodluck
this has happened to me a few times in the last five months i have had the car. I just figured it was because i had the key in my pocket and not in the key slot. Everything else was fine so i really havent put much into it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM
G2Envy

I've had this happen to me as well. I found out that it was my battery that was bad. I had just changed it too but the battery was probably old. My trunk wouldn't open either when I pushed the trunk button from outside. By not being able to open my trunk I figured it had to be the battery not giving it enough juice, so the signal from the key fob to the car was weak.

I changed the battery and voila. No more "no key" symbol in the dash and my trunk opened flawlessly again. I would check your battery. HTH.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:02 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by amv1017
this has happened to me a few times in the last five months i have had the car. I just figured it was because i had the key in my pocket and not in the key slot. Everything else was fine so i really havent put much into it.
The key slot is really only for when your battery is totally shot, a fail safe so you aren't stranded because of a $2.99 battery
Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Arvig

Thanks for the replies. I'll look up again what battery the Fob takes and have that in the glove box just in case (might as well buy the spare now. ) and otherwise not worry about it unless I see that again.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:04 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you have alot of other stuff in your pocket?

Ive had it happen if i have like my camera and house keys also in the same pocket as the keyfob. As soon as i pull it out or move things around/take out camera it works like normal.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Arvig

Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
Did you have alot of other stuff in your pocket?

Ive had it happen if i have like my camera and house keys also in the same pocket as the keyfob. As soon as i pull it out or move things around/take out camera it works like normal.
Not really. Just a chapstick and the car keys/fob. IMO I don't have an unusual amount of keys either. The only other idea I have is the pants I was wearing were loose slacks, not jeans so it could be the keys were below the armrest or something. *shrugs*.

Anyway again thanks for the replies. I won't worry too much unless I see it again, and next time I'm in a store with any sort of electronics section I'll see if they stock the fob battery.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
If you're anything like me, your package is so large that it occasionally disrupts the signal from the Intelligent Key fob because of its own small gravitational field. It depends on which pocket the key is in and if I'm dressed left or dressed right. Next time just adjust your junk out of the way and it will work like a charm.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 AM
Arvig

Originally Posted by Black Betty
If you're anything like me, your package is so large that it occasionally disrupts the signal from the Intelligent Key fob because of its own small gravitational field. It depends on which pocket the key is in and if I'm dressed left or dressed right. Next time just adjust your junk out of the way and it will work like a charm.
Why not just have the electronics of the keyfob implanted into your "junk" then? I'd think if it is truly such a large size, there would be plenty of room for such without distrupting it's normal..well..function.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Arvig
Why not just have the electronics of the keyfob implanted into your "junk" then? I'd think if it is truly such a large size, there would be plenty of room for such without distrupting it's normal..well..function.
Becasue then locking an unlocking the doors would look kinda funny to onlookers. Plus the alarm would go off every time it's, you know, "Barry White music time".
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 AM
DashKid
Banned

I think your car was throwing a fit =P. This has happen to me twice. The first time I think it was cause of low battery. Second i believe it didn't work because the Lock button was some how pushed down on my pocket. I remember I was trying to start the car and the door locked by itself and I kinda freaked out =(.

After that I tried starting and it said no key. I was like wtf. Pulled it out and tried starting it again and it worked. Ever since than no problem.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:35 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Wow....just....no comment. hahaha

I did encounter this once. Never happened again. Right now, I'm actually on a key fob where the battery indicator came on about 3 months ago (maybe more). Still haven't had any problems.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 PM
beerme986

this happens to me from time to time. i dont think much of it since it's a false alert

Quick Reply: My car claimed there was no key when I went to start it..with keyfob in pocket.