G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

4-wheel Active Steer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 AM
oreoleo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think it's possible to upgrade to a 4was system?
Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oreoleo
Do you think it's possible to upgrade to a 4was system?
Anything is possible with enough money. Is it practical to upgrade? No.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by Goonz
if an M3 owner drives my car and takes a hard corner and sais wow you can feel the 4-wheel active steer, then I think it had served its purpose. Ive had it on my 07 G-coupe and now my current coupe..love it..I hate the tech package though..

ive driven g35s and g37s without it and I can definetly tell a difference..
Feeling it doesn't mean better...If I felt the rear end do something you aren't used to I'd say "whoa I can feel it".
Old 03-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Feeling it doesn't mean better...If I felt the rear end do something you aren't used to I'd say "whoa I can feel it".
We get your point, BM. The 4WAS option is not your cup of tea, but for others it is. For me and many others, having 4WAS makes the driving experience of my G37 more enjoyable especially when cornering.

I had 25,000 miles on a G37 without 4WAS and 8,000 on one with 4WAS and if I had to do it again, I would get 4WAS again. It is my cup of tea.

This is why it is an option... Not everyone wants it.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM
Beer Magazine

four-wheel active steer system (4WAS) is available for those obsessed with pushing the technological envelope, but early reports have been mixed, with several drivers noting diminished steering feedback in vehicles equipped with 4WAS.-edmunds
Infiniti G37 Review - Edmunds.com

2007 Infiniti G35 - Road Test & Review - Automobile Magazine
But in back-to-back laps at Connecticut's Lime Rock Park racetrack, we drove cars with and without four-wheel steering and found no significant difference.–Automobile Mag

e 4WAS turns the rear wheels in-phase (the same direction) as the fronts up to 1°. For most drivers, the addition of 4WAS will be something to brag about while bench racing because the effect is something most people won’t ever genuinely notice. –theautochannel.com

I can list lots of similar test..some more credible than others. But generally the same. Similar discussion can be had with the stupid BMW variable ratio steering.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:40 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Counterpoint

First Drive: 2011 Infiniti M37S and M56S answer many questions — Autoblog
Infiniti's 4WAS only moves the rear wheels in phase with the front wheels by a maximum of one degree. Admittedly, that doesn't sound like much and at low speeds you simply don't notice it. But crank up the engine's volume and get ready to be impressed. 4WAS helps eliminate both under- and oversteer, but more importantly the M just feels planted when you reach a turn's apex. Not just planted, but nimble, athletic and confident, especially in conjunction with some left-foot trail braking. Put it like this: We knew going in that both Ms would be fast, but an honest to goodness handler? Color us remarkably impressed.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:19 PM
Beer Magazine

I'm not really anti-4WAS I'm just offering some advice on if somebody should get it. There are far more "it doesn't do anything, makes it feel strange" reviews of most 4WS and active steering than not.

Any review that normally doesn't mention driving both versions isn't really good data, which some do an don't do. Most reviews of a car thats' not out yet...are based off either controlled media or overly positive media (you fly me to an exotic location and I'll like 4WAS steer too )
Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM
phishman

BM, considering you don't have the package, you should probably quit giving advice. We get it - you read a lot of bad reviews. There is no reason to repeat yourself over and over. Personally, I like it.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
dimapassionz

Why dont you just test drive a car with 4WAS and one without it and see which one you like better?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Beer Magazine

Originally Posted by phishman
BM, considering you don't have the package, you should probably quit giving advice. We get it - you read a lot of bad reviews. There is no reason to repeat yourself over and over. Personally, I like it.
Because it's good advice and from what I read from people who do test cars...they dont' ever like it.

Most people justify things they bought as good because they bought it. Nobody really says "I wish I didn't get this it's a waste", because they don't want to say that.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:54 PM
phishman

Originally Posted by Beer Magazine
Because it's good advice and from what I read from people who do test cars...they dont' ever like it.

Most people justify things they bought as good because they bought it. Nobody really says "I wish I didn't get this it's a waste", because they don't want to say that.
Yeah we get that, you've said it 10 times. But repeating something doesn't increase its validity. If OP wants to read the reviews he/she can , nobody needs you to reply to every post that you read this or that.

Also, I'm leasing so it barely affected my payment. If I didn't like it I would definitely say something.

Last edited by phishman; 03-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:32 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't know if I would have gotten it up front, but I like it now that I have it.