Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

new whistling noise?? 60+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 PM
rhyno76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new whistling noise?? 60+ MPH

ok I give up...ever since it snowed here (a lot) I've had a constant pitch, annoying as hell whistling noise coming from what sounds like either the windshield or driver side door whenever I hit 60+ mph. At first, i just figured it was road grime stuck in one of the seals...so I washed...then detailed... then went as far as putting electrical tape over various seals and trim just to see if I could stop the noise\pinpoint the source. NO LUCK!

I searched previous posts about similar noises and reset my window indexing and that didn't do the trick either.

I have an appointment Friday to have the dealership check it out. My fear is either they won't hear it (wouldn't be the first time) or won't know what the problem is. Anyone out there have any ideas??

thanks in advance guys\gals!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:39 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my first thought was the cowling was dirty, but since it seems you addressed that possibility...im not sure

the only other thing i can think of is maybe a window or the sunroof is slightly cracked? please dont take that as an insult to your intelligence, ive just had that happen to me where i accidentally hit the button or something

GL diagnosing it and let us know when/if you figure out what it is!!
Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM
GPR-37s
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I get a whistling noise above 60mph if I have the moonroof in the tilted position with the visor is completely closed. If I open the visor slightly it goes away.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
superslick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GPR-37s
I get a whistling noise above 60mph if I have the moonroof in the tilted position with the visor is completely closed. If I open the visor slightly it goes away.
I have the same issue. Dropped it off at service. They couldnt hear it. Did a test drive with advisor. Hit 50 mph and whistle started. Got louder as I kept going faster. Asked him how the hell they couldnt hear it. They wanted to keep car and start removing things. I said forget it. Didnt want to make a bad situation worse.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 AM
rhyno76

my first thought was the cowling was dirty, but since it seems you addressed that possibility...im not sure

the only other thing i can think of is maybe a window or the sunroof is slightly cracked?
I wish it was that simple I've cleaned the cowling and I've even gone as far as cleaning all the inner\outer rubber seals on the doors, hood, windshield and moonroof. I'm guessing it's a bad seal somewhere at this point - I just hope the dealership can find it without having to tear the car apart.

Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you all posted.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:42 PM
Mayu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may hgave done all this, but this is where I would start, so to quote half the other replies here, this is not meant to insult, but just to help -

If you look at the A-pillar and the windshiled, you will note the pillar sits a few mm's above the windshiled directing air flow over the car and not around it. Air flowing around the car creates wind noise, further multiplied when the window is cracked open.

Check:
1) this area between windshield and A-pillar for hard debris that may be forcing air around the car - even a slight bump/crease/crack in the seal could create strange noises at 60mph.
2) is the window going back up the half inch it drops when you open and then close the door. Check the seals there and ensure it travels all the way up.
3) Side view mirror - is it slightly folded or on the wrong detent or something stuck in there? Unfold and fold a few times...
4) Open the hood and look for compacted snow (essentially, ice) near the hood hinge area. Air is flow through the hood, over the engine and up and over the windshield - check this flow for debris.
5) Drivers side front tire - air and tread ok - wierdly worn treads can make strange squeals at speed...

Out of ideas bro and sorry to hear. Best of luck fixing - please let us know the outcome as some of us may experience this someday.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
rhyno76

**Update**
The dealership replaced the driver-side window seal this week but it's still not fixed.

Driving home, I figured out that if I push the tweeter housing at the top of the door sill forward while driving, the noise stops. FINALLY - I had found the source of the noise!!!! It's whistling between the tweeter housing and the leading edge of the window seal.

My fingers were getting sore, so I wedged a small, folded sheet of paper in between the door sill and the back edge of the housing to make the seal tight and silence the noise. This jury-rig will do until my appointment tomorrow with the dealership to resolve it permanantly.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 AM
rhyno76

**UPDATE**
The noise is quieter, but still there. The service guys had several people ride with me and nobody can hear the noise anymore. The problem with that is, if they can't hear the noise they don't fix anything. I'm now awaiting a quote on a replacement of the seal that goes around the tweeter at the leading edge of the door. I'm hoping this fixes it once and for all.

On one hand, I can understand that if they can't hear anything - they don't know what's needed to fix it, but if my temp fix does the trick - wouldn't that point to the need of the door seal replacement?