G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Hit a pothole and airbags deployed! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
JackH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercarriage impact

I own an 2008 FX 35. I was driving on the Interstate at highway speed in moderate traffic. I heard a simultaneous "thunk-kaboom." The "thunk" part sounded like something hitting my undercarriage. The "kaboom" part was the passenger side, curtain and seat airbags deploying. Luckily I did not have a passenger. There is no visible damage to the undercarriage. The corporate offices of Infiniti told me today that, if something hit the undercarriage and caused the airbag to deploy, Infiniti will not consider that to be a defect, and will not pay to have it repaired. I think that is nonsense. I think if an undercarriage impact which causes no damages causes the airbags to deply, the product is clearly defective. Anyone else had an undercarriage impact on an Infiniti cause airbag deployment other than the guy who made the original post?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:51 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by JackH
I own an 2008 FX 35. I was driving on the Interstate at highway speed in moderate traffic. I heard a simultaneous "thunk-kaboom." The "thunk" part sounded like something hitting my undercarriage. The "kaboom" part was the passenger side, curtain and seat airbags deploying. Luckily I did not have a passenger. There is no visible damage to the undercarriage. The corporate offices of Infiniti told me today that, if something hit the undercarriage and caused the airbag to deploy, Infiniti will not consider that to be a defect, and will not pay to have it repaired. I think that is nonsense. I think if an undercarriage impact which causes no damages causes the airbags to deply, the product is clearly defective. Anyone else had an undercarriage impact on an Infiniti cause airbag deployment other than the guy who made the original post?
First I've heard of that. If something did hit your undercarriage and caused your airbag to deploy and Infiniti does not consider it a defect, then it should be considered an "accident" and should be able to make a claim on your insurance.

Never the less, IMO that's a defect.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:21 PM
LarryG

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Lol this guy hit a pothole so hard it damaged his rim. It was just a human error in driving.. not a defect. LMAO. That car came with 18"inch rims so it's not even low profile tires so in order for you to damage the rim with a pothole, it had to be a REALLY hard impact! Haha.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:52 PM
LSG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, this thread is old, but that sucks your airbags went off in your fx35. I have hit a pothole hard enough in my g37 that bent the rim and bubbled the tire, but thankfully no airbag deployment. I have heard about a guy who hit a pothole in his 4th gen altima and the front airbag went off.