G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Unstable at certain speeds, alignment issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 PM
irich1L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unstable at certain speeds, alignment issue?

Hey guys,

My G is unstable at high speeds (65+), especially on the highway and sometimes when I'm at lower speeds (40+). Is this definitely an alignment issue? My steering wheel is perfectly straight and it does not tilt to the left, or the right.

And do you guys have an idea on how much the dealer charges?

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:26 PM
BOXER83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by irich1L
Hey guys,

My G is unstable at high speeds (65+), especially on the highway and sometimes when I'm at lower speeds (40+). Is this definitely an alignment issue? My steering wheel is perfectly straight and it does not tilt to the left, or the right.

And do you guys have an idea on how much the dealer charges?

Thanks!
The steering wheel being perfectly straight doesn't always mean the alignment is good. I think when I asked it was $100. I ask could they do it after I put my springs on and they said yes. They also said they would put boards down so it wouldn't hit.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM
l2awin

There's a TSB out for the rotors. You might want to check it out (ITB09-037)

Alignment at my dealership is $150 but if it's within the 1st year or 12,000 you can get one done for free.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by l2awin
There's a TSB out for the rotors. You might want to check it out (ITB09-037)

Thanks dude for that TSB!!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Reiki_Rocket

I'm not sure how unstable handling would be related to warped rotors? Pulsating in the brake peddle or vibration in the steering wheel yes - unstable handling though?

Are you running factory wheels and tires?

I just had four tires and an alignment done (by a third party shop) when I bought my G and am also having handling problems. The car tracks perfectly straight & handles great with the stock 19" rims and the new Yoko S Drives, but seems to wander a lot - I constantly need to keep making small adjustments to the wheel to stay in my lane. Then I put a new set of 225/50/18 LM60 Blizzacks and 18x8 aftermarket wheels on it last night, and it's absolutely horrible. Got about 50 miles on 'em now. Besides the wander being worse - I've got a really sloppy ride and an almost danerous sway in the corners. Plus I almost can't drive the car without having the damn "slip" blinking on me every time I get into the throttle a bit. I knew going from 45's & 40's to slightly narrower 18" 50's was going to be a performance hit - but this is ridiculous! I went from 45's to 60's on my modded V6 Accord EX every winter, and it wasn't nearly this bad.

As far as the TSB for the brakes - I just had it done on my G37S yesterday since I had the slight vibration. I got the car a few weeks ago with 19k on it, so I took it in to to get the brakes and a few other things checked. Also asked the Dealer to check on any outstanding TSB's while it was there. They said there would be a $60 charge for the brake inspection up front, and then called to tell me the front rotors were slightly warped and that it would be $240 to turn them.

I actually had to get the TSB # from here and call them back to get them to cover it under warranty. After checking into it the Service Advisor called me back and said that I was right, and that they'd even waive the inspection charge - ya think! So make sure you mention that you have a vibration when you take it in, and that you think you read somewhere that there's a TSB for it (seems most dealers don't like it when you know more about what's supposed to be fixed on our cars then you do).

Hope that helps. Anyone got anything on the handling problem?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you experiencing this on all roads or only on certain stretches of road?
Old 12-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Reiki_Rocket

Originally Posted by Callaway
Are you experiencing this on all roads or only on certain stretches of road?
All roads - back or hwy, so I can pretty much rule out a crown in the road or uneven pavement. I also forgot to mention that the car seems to have an understeer condition; but this is my first G, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I'm coming from driving a FWD as my daily driver for the past 6 years, but it's my understanding that this car should be pretty neutral with some throttle induced oversteer.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:14 PM
irich1L

I just got back from the dealer, dropped the car off and I don't get it back until tomorrow.

I used the TSB for my rotors (I'm at 29xxx), car doesn't start sometimes (Probably a battery issue), and my driver side window goes down 1/3 when I automatically roll it up. I forgot to tell them about the dashboard gap, gotta get that fixed when I get an oil change soon.

Originally Posted by Reiki_Rocket
Are you running factory wheels and tires?
Yes, I'm running on stock tires/wheels. I'll probably bring my car in to a local shop and get an alignment done there.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by irich1L
I just got back from the dealer, dropped the car off and I don't get it back until tomorrow.

I used the TSB for my rotors (I'm at 29xxx), car doesn't start sometimes (Probably a battery issue), and my driver side window goes down 1/3 when I automatically roll it up. I forgot to tell them about the dashboard gap, gotta get that fixed when I get an oil change soon.

Yes, I'm running on stock tires/wheels. I'll probably bring my car in to a local shop and get an alignment done there.
you need a battery first off.
rotors need replacing(tsb)
driver side window reset, hold the window switch down for 15 sec.then up for 15 sec. and again down for 15 sec.if that doesnt work,its your window regulator is bad(had one replaced)
you may have a suspension issue,pay the dealer for the alignment.
Then if is still no good,they will already have your car.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:25 PM
irich1L

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
you need a battery first off.
rotors need replacing(tsb)
driver side window reset, hold the window switch down for 15 sec.then up for 15 sec. and again down for 15 sec.if that doesnt work,its your window regulator is bad(had one replaced)
you may have a suspension issue,pay the dealer for the alignment.
Then if is still no good,they will already have your car.
Yeah, the car is already at the dealer. New battery, replace rotors, window regulator.