G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How is the pull of the G37 coupe 7AT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
because turbo cars generally have a surge of power, while the G ramps up.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM
rehtea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by focker
Serious, Clark? I have the X coupe, and have never felt any jerk, unless VDC is off and i'm in manual mode.
I played around with VDC off and DS mode, but just leave it in D, with VDC on.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 AM
Will3212

Originally Posted by Mike
because turbo cars generally have a surge of power, while the G ramps up.
are naturally aspirated engines more reliable? i mean is the G37's engine more reliable than that of the 335i's twin turbo engine?
Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Will3212
are naturally aspirated engines more reliable? i mean is the G37's engine more reliable than that of the 335i's twin turbo engine?
That's a misconception.

That being said, in the long term, turbo engines generally have more parts that needs to be replaced due to wear and tear.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Depends on how you define reliable.

They're both as reliable if designed & serviced right. But a turbo setup basically has more moving parts meaning more things can go wrong that's why people say they're less "reliable".
Old 04-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Skyline73

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mindonmatter
Uhhh...what...huh??
I hereby nominate you for dumbest comment of the week.

To the original poster,
Do not listen to this guy. Do NOT buy a convertible thinking you will feel more G's.
Every convertible I have ever been in has felt faster than there coupe counterparts, but the convertibles are always slower and handle worse on paper. Do you have another explanation that would explain this other than anytime you seal a compartment a certain level of pressurization happens as a vehicle moves. So the amount of oxygen to your brain will affect how you feel G- forces in a car. Convertibles increase that sensation. Anyway, I'm arguing with a born texan right? Stick to your steerz n queerz analhole. Change your name to mindless lack of matter.

Its like the diference between a rollercoaster at 60mph and a train at 120mph. Its not just the up and down of the roller coaster its the non pressurized open air. If you were inside a pressurized cabin on a roller coaster, you may get a lil car sick from going up and down so much. But G forces would be greatly reduced.

Last edited by Skyline73; 04-21-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
The Jewbag

Originally Posted by Skyline73
Every convertible I have ever been in has felt faster than there coupe counterparts, but the convertibles are always slower and handle worse. Do you have another explanation that would explain this other than anytime you seal a compartment a certain level of pressurization happens as a vehicle moves. So the amount of oxygen to your brain will affect how you feel G- forces in a car. Convertibles increase that sensation. Anyway, I'm arguing with a born texan right? Stick to your steerz n queerz analhole. Change your name to mindless lack of matter.

Its like the diference between a rollercoaster at 60mph and a train at 120mph. Its not just the up and down of the roller coaster its the non pressurized open air. If you were inside a pressurized cabin on a roller coaster, you may get a lil car sick from going up and down so much. But G forces would be greatly reduced.

Yo this dude is still high from yesterday.

"the amount of oxygen to your brain will affect how you feel G- forces in a car."

Old 04-21-2010, 10:58 AM
YetiNole

If you look at the HP/Torque ration, the G has a good bit more horsepower than torque, which means that it's a revver. It doesn't hit you with as big a punch in the guy when you stomp the gas as another car with more torque, but as you hit those higher rpms the car really gets moving.

If you want to get thrown back in your chair, there are better cars out there for that. But compared to the car you're coming from, it'll still be a big difference. If you want a car that's fast, performs well, has a ton of features, is reasonably priced, and looks sexy as hell...then it's the best choice IMO.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Skyline73

Anyway op. I rented a camaro 2SS for the hell of it just to check it out. It was 200 a day. The 400 bucks were worth it. If you want a car that will push u back hardcore and have a respectable amount of features. A camaro 2SS/RS ,w/sunroof is the way to go. (Unless your over 6'1 then no sunroof) its not as nice as my G but it'll kick you back. My only real complaint was a long delay in throttle response. But that delay also furthers the kick back sensation when it finally kicks in.
Or you can do what I did. Intake exhaust catpipes a drop and 8100rpm reflash. I don't have headers yet which I know will make the bulk of my extra power. But the reflash changes how torque is didtributed and you feel it about 10 to 15% better than stock. I'm considering a supercharger for my G and a turbo later on for my Z. But to answer your question, one last time. Most cars don't have a lot of kick without foced induction or high horsepower/torque ratios.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Skyline73

Anyway op. I rented a camaro 2SS for the hell of it just to check it out. It was 200 a day. The 400 bucks were worth it. If you want a car that will push u back hardcore and have a respectable amount of features. A camaro 2SS/RS ,w/sunroof is the way to go. (Unless your over 6'1 then no sunroof) its not as nice as my G but it'll kick you back. My only real complaint was a long delay in throttle response. But that delay also furthers the kick back sensation when it finally kicks in.
Or you can do what I did. Intake exhaust catpipes a drop and 8100rpm reflash. I don't have headers yet which I know will make the bulk of my extra power. But the reflash changes how torque is didtributed and you feel it about 10 to 15% better than stock. I'm considering a supercharger for my G and a turbo later on for my Z. But to answer your question, one last time. Most cars don't have a lot of kick without foced induction or high horsepower/torque ratios.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
svp6

I own both the 335xi coupe and the G37x coupe. The reality is the G37 is a better looking car, but the BMW probably drives better (and snappier). As someone mentioned before, there is plenty of torque with the G37 when you start from 0. However, I was a little disappointed with what happens when you try to push the car at cruising speeds. I do not think it is a matter of power, but rather the way the automatic transmittion and gas pedal responsiveness are set. With the G you need to floor the pedal, then there is a short delay for downshifting, then the car takes off very well. Of course you could use the manual shift function with the same effect. With the BMW the response is much faster aand requires perhaps only half pedal push, hence the sensation the car is faster.

We love both cars, either would make anyone happy.

To the g-force controversy, just throw in a little physics - it's just acceleration, it makes no difference whether you drive top up top down or upsidedown for that matter. What you feel is subjective and can depend on a lot of other things. It has nothing to do with your actual acceleration (i,e, g-force) though
Old 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Alex57r

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Depends on how you define reliable.

They're both as reliable if designed & serviced right. But a turbo setup basically has more moving parts meaning more things can go wrong that's why people say they're less "reliable".
335s are NOT reliable at all. They have a major issue with the ethanol in the US fuel, and the fuel system component break down constantly. Ask anyone with a 335 if they had the fuel pump changed or have been stranded in limp mode or totally.

G37 torque and throttle tuning is not to be compared with a 335, the cars are not even in the same leage in my opinion, but reliability wise, its the opposite. The G is Japanese.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 PM
svp6

Alex,
Never had a problem with the 335 - little over a year and 10k miles later that is.... As I said, I like both cars, and personally I think the G37 looks better. But give the germans what belongs to them - the 335 drives better
Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
For rates of repair, safety, consumer statisfaction, check Consumer Reports, JDPowers, etc. I think you'll find Infiniti does very, very well. Especially in its class. But, in my old age, let me add that I can't ever remember finding a woman attractive just because she was fast, good looking, or dependable. (Well, okay, there may have been an exception or two there, but, I digress.) You have to take them out for a weekend yourself. Keep the one that you like the best. ;-)