Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

<Rattle><Groan><Squeak>

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 AM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine had a ticking noise coming from the passenger door panel. My Infiniti dealer sent a mechanic to take the G for a spin with me to locate the source of the noise. Once he heard where it was coming from, he said "Oh yeah, I know how to stop it". Later that afternoon, the G was returned noise free and it's been that way now for 5K miles.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My '09 G coupe has 10K miles and mine is completely silent.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
my 09 is at about the same point as Knoxville's and I'm running silent
Old 11-21-2009, 12:27 PM
lakers8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EZDozzit
Mine had a ticking noise coming from the passenger door panel. My Infiniti dealer sent a mechanic to take the G for a spin with me to locate the source of the noise. Once he heard where it was coming from, he said "Oh yeah, I know how to stop it". Later that afternoon, the G was returned noise free and it's been that way now for 5K miles.
Any idea what he fixed so i can tell my dealer or do it myself?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:42 PM
vibrant_red_G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
All cars have rattles and squeaks, German, Japanese, and American. There has not been a single car that I have been in that did not make some kind of noise.
Of course all cars do-with age. A car with barely 11k miles is still a new car. What is this car going to be at say 50k, 100k? It makes me nervous just thinking about it.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vibrant_red_G37
Well my G is almost 1.5 years old and only 11k miles and the things sounds like a perverbial trash dumpster lid being opened and closed. I now have an annoying squeak from the dashboard area that has developed over the last few days and the on-going rattle from the sunroof area that the dealer has yet to find/fix.

I am really disappointed by the "quality" that Infiniti has put into this product of theirs. They claim to be on the level of Lexus or BMW, but honestly guys if my car is any indication of their standard production quality it is far from those prestigous marques.

People always rag on American quality, but I persoanlly owned a GMC Jimmy that lasted ten years that NEVER had the noise for rattles et al that this $42,000.00 car has. Would I recommend this car to a family member or friend? Well maybe, if they put the engine in a Lexus quality body.

Sorry for the rant, but this really is something I would have never thought would have been an issue. I plan on writing a letter to Infiniti detailing the things I have outlined here.
I understand your frustration, but I don't think I've ever been in a car that didn't vibrate or rattle somewhere (even when fairly new). I used to be critical of this myself, but now I'm like whatever... The A pillar creaking does bother me a bit though as it seems more of a structural issue than seams of two parts rubbing together.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:30 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Originally Posted by lakers8
Any idea what he fixed so i can tell my dealer or do it myself?
He removed door panel, affixed a couple of foam rubber squares to the spot where noise was originating, replaced door panel. Noise gone.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:37 PM
bocatrip

It's unfortunate that Infiniti has still not been able to address the poor fit and finish and general quality control of the G's interiors after all this time. One of the biggest complaints of the early G35 interiors were rattles and I am still reading about them to this day. I don't see the same problems with the M which is a different platform. Regardless, it's unacceptable for our cars. This is one of the reasons I will not buy another G35/37. It's a great car not counting these issues and tires.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Guys, I gotta tell ya it's not that bad. I've owned other brands throughout the years and the Infiniti G is the car that's given me the least amount of trouble. Among other brands, most recently I've had experiences with BMW (M3 and X5), Lexus (RX330, IS350). If the only issue with Infiniti was a door panel ticking which was fixed, I'd gladly pick that over the other problems I encountered with the other luxury vehicles.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 AM
Coupe Daddy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found out where the vibration from the intrument cluster is coming from. If you are curious, do this:

1. Grab the top of your instrument cluster and move it up and down (you should hear the noise)

2. Now, with your other hand firmly press forward on the plastic window in front of your intrument cluster while doing step 1 (the noise should go away).

The bad thing is I don't know how to fix it. I tried putting felt in the gap but no dice. At least I know what to tell the service department when I take it in again. Hope this helps somebody.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Well I've said it before and I'll say it again. This car has way too many rattles for any luxury vehicle. I was able to get the headliner rattle resolved a couple of months ago now for the last couple of weeks or so I’ve been getting an intermittent tapping sound – like a pebble hitting the glass in a short sharp way (twack, twack). Happens whenever the chassis flexes which to me seems like a design flaw.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:08 PM
TViddy

I have a 2008 Sport with 14K on it and I have been experiencing these types of creaks/taps/noises.

SUNROOF: I noticed when the sunroof cover is open, I would hear creaks from it, but when its closed, no noises.

Center Dash area: Every time I hit bumps I hear some type of creak or tap from the center speaker area. Almost sounds like a loose connection from the center speaker.

The dealer should be able to find and fix these problems right?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:19 PM
jab23

Just about 2 years and 21k miles. As it's getting colder my A-pillar/dashboard/winshield creaking and groaning has become near constant. Used to only happen on bad bumps or turning onto an incline or decline. I know this is a known problem, so I don't get too down on the car as a whole. My lease is about to end, so i'm not going to expend the time or effort to get it fixed.

Overall, my 2 years with the car have been great.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:53 PM
vibrant_red_G37

Originally Posted by TViddy
I have a 2008 Sport with 14K on it and I have been experiencing these types of creaks/taps/noises.

SUNROOF: I noticed when the sunroof cover is open, I would hear creaks from it, but when its closed, no noises.

Center Dash area: Every time I hit bumps I hear some type of creak or tap from the center speaker area. Almost sounds like a loose connection from the center speaker.

The dealer should be able to find and fix these problems right?
Don't get your hopes up on finding the cause of your noises. The rattle from my sunroof has been into the dealership numerous times and they can't seem to locate the problem.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 AM
joey_v

Originally Posted by jab23
Just about 2 years and 21k miles. As it's getting colder my A-pillar/dashboard/winshield creaking and groaning has become near constant. Used to only happen on bad bumps or turning onto an incline or decline. I know this is a known problem, so I don't get too down on the car as a whole. My lease is about to end, so i'm not going to expend the time or effort to get it fixed.

Overall, my 2 years with the car have been great.
Guys,

For you who have the windshield/center dashboard squeek..... likely it's what I described in my thread and we seem to have finally found a fix for it.

See my thread...
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...ing-noise.html