Meter/M&A no DTC is detected, Further testing may be required
important part . Engine Expl FFD P0174 Fuel sys-lean-B2

i have stilen 3rd gen intake and fast intention carbon exhaust
dats all i have done to performance.
im pretty sure either intake has an air flow problem
or exhaust has the back pressure.

parts are properly installed in professional ship

what do i need to? any suggestion?

Is that Fuel System running lean written in there. Looks pretty hard to interpret but it's possible that intake/exhaust can have you runnin lean. I hope you don't have trouble with warranty covering you. Maybe consider selling the Stillen intake off and either reverting to stock or going for the JWT drop in pop chargers???
Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 PM
nostalgia85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know this guy. hes the manager so he suggests that if i can take off intake and exhaust and come back to them and have it dignosed and if theres a problem he said he will take care of it under warranty but honestly i know it can cause more serious problem but i don't wanna spend time and money to take off exahust and intake.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by nostalgia85
as i described earlier i had an engine check light on
so i bought my car to dealer.

I got all my DTC reading and result is this

auto drive pos. B2127 parking brake
Aig Bag no DTC is detected, Further testing may be required
Meter/M&A no DTC is detected, Further testing may be required
important part . Engine Expl FFD P0174 Fuel sys-lean-B2

i have stilen 3rd gen intake and fast intention carbon exhaust
dats all i have done to performance.
im pretty sure either intake has an air flow problem
or exhaust has the back pressure.

parts are properly installed in professional ship

what do i need to? any suggestion?
Almost positive the "fuel-sys-lean B2" is from the Stillen G3's.

All the other stuff you shouldn't have to worry about.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:01 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
yup... what Gamedog said... running lean probably because of intakes... first time i've seen this on the forum though
Old 11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Your exhaust isn't likely to be contributing to the lean condition. Your intake almost certainly is the problem.

As far a s the parking brake issue, I'm not certain but it may simply need and adjustment. Is your car AT or MT? I don't know if this will work on newer cars, but I know of an easy adjustment fix for older Nissans that works on MT cars.

Park the car where you have a long stretch of straight road or driveway behind you. Start the car and engage the parking brake fully. Now put it in reverse and drive backwards for about 200 feet against the resistance of the brake. Drive slowly, not need to go fast. Release the brake, drive forward and repeat this about 3 times. It works to adjust the parking brake in older Nissans, I don't know if it will in our G37s.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:30 PM
BOXER83

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put stock back on an get them to fix. It will be worth it.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:31 PM
OMG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gamedog
Almost positive the "fuel-sys-lean B2" is from the Stillen G3's.

All the other stuff you shouldn't have to worry about.
+1

I had Fujita short rams on my car. Got the CEL, took it to Grubbs, they told me my engine was in danger of blowing up because I was running too lean. It's funny though, because they sell the Stillen short ram intakes...hmmm.

The Stillen G3's are the long tube I'm pretty sure, so you are naturally going to get more air/fuel with this design over the stock intake.

I would assume some sort of tuning could fix this issue to take into account the new air/fuel ratio. Something as simple as a Cobb AP map that is already out there could probably fix this. Just a thought. I definitely don't think it's something insanely bad and it's probably very common for most people on this forum with intakes.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:56 PM
nostalgia85

okay, detail information
it's 2008 G37s , with 3rd gen intake. im 99.9% sure it's because of CIA.
like someone said here, air flow is much higher than what it (stock) is supposed to be
that's why i feel like my car is hesitating to go then before.(because of check light)
i have had intake for about 8 months now, nothing special had happend since i got it but now.
too much more of air with same gas injection should carry less power. lean*
do you think stillen 3rd gen put too much air into engine? because unlike other CIA stillen's intake is located in front of car.. behind the grill,
maybe put the stock back and get it checked and if theres problem get it fixed and put other CIA? im worried about other people with stillen gen 3rd.

here's what im gunna do before i drop my car at dealer because they dont know ****

i will replace the intake filters (stillen intake filter tends to get dirty easily because of the location) and cleaning the MES?(temperature and air measuring device on top on intake) and see what happends and reset ECU. if that helps. it's good
if check light comes out again, will change it to stock and reset ECU. if that helps
i willl go for pop charger nono stillen. if still has problem, i will bring it to dealership to get my thing fix with stock intake..

i was going to get a new engine management for new air/fuel ratio but it will be more harmful some way. and so far i know N/a won't damage your engine that much cuz someone said one service rep said engine was aboout to blow due to excess of air flow. i dont agree.

ps: anyone can locate me how to reset ECU rather than just unplugging battery?
i suck at searching.

Last edited by nostalgia85; 11-20-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I seriously doubt cleaning or changing your filters will do much if anything to solve the problem.

I think you meant the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. if you undertake that task, be VERY careful. They are extremely fragile and very expensive to replace. If you damage it, you car won't run at all. You can buy a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaning spray by at auto parts stores. You simply spray it on the wires and let it dry. Don't touch the filaments or they will break.

Best of luck.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
nostalgia85

thanks alot for that info....what filter? maybe K&n? and any proper way of cleaing MAF?
i know it's wire+one sensor connected and you put that on aftermarket intake tube
u spray on wire and the sensor itself and let it dry?

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I seriously doubt cleaning or changing your filters will do much if anything to solve the problem.

I think you meant the MAF (mass air flow) sensor. if you undertake that task, be VERY careful. They are extremely fragile and very expensive to replace. If you damage it, you car won't run at all. You can buy a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaning spray by at auto parts stores. You simply spray it on the wires and let it dry. Don't touch the filaments or they will break.

Best of luck.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
did you check the filter? i find it odd the problem arises after 8 months.... maybe the filter is bad you should check it
Old 11-20-2009, 02:40 PM
nostalgia85

yes' it's been about 8 months for me too

im talking with stillen tech manager i will let you know the outcome.

Last edited by nostalgia85; 11-20-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:15 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would be very surprised if the intake was the culprit here.

We have done extensive testing and data logging on each of our components and we have not noticed any indication of a lean condition until you change EVERYTHING in the intake/exhaust stream. Intake, headers, exhaust and high flow cat combinations does the car to run a little lean. However in all of our testing, intake and exhaust alone are perfectly safe.

Also, considering you have had the intake on your car for 8 months without any problems I am really believing that this issue would have shown itself ALOT sooner if it was directly related to the intakes.

You might ask the service tech. at your dealership to inspect the condition of your catalytic converters. Normally if a catalytic converter fails you will see a P0420 or P0430 code which means cat inefficiency. But, considering this is only showing a lean condition on bank 2 it leads me to believe that it is going to be either a catalytic converter or a bad O2 sensor on that bank. For those who don't know what the term "bank" means..."Bank" refers to that particular side of the engine.

If you do not want to spend the money on dropping down and inspecting your cats you might just trying swapping O2 sensors from side to side. If the problem then switches to Bank 1, then you know you have a bad sensor. If the problem stays on Bank 2, it is time to pull down the cat. and check it out.

Other things it could be: vacuum leak in the intake manifold or a faulty air flow meter. Check around your intake installation and make sure that everything is well sealed and all of the connections are tight. Make sure the silicone hoses have not slipped off of their connections.

Last edited by kyle@stillen; 11-20-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:30 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

I had the Stillen stage 3 intakes on my 08 and had no problems in 30,000 miles and plan to install them on this 09; I don't think the intakes alone are the problem, maybe the combination of intake exhaust...

Check the airflow sensors, make sure one or both are not installed backwards... Check for leaks at the clamps etc., these can leak and mixture can be reported improperly. Make sure the clamps were not overtightened and stripped; if stripped they will not tighten enough to seal.
Hope this helps but you've probably already checked all that.
Can't wait to get the intakes on this 09!

Quick Reply: URGENT help needed