Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Start-stop button the most dangerous new feature in cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 PM
y3chen86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xlack
for cars that uses key holes.. u can't switch the engine to OFF unless ur gear is in Park (for AT).. and I don't think u can switch from Drive to Park when ur car is in motion.. so start-stop feature won't be any much different from cars with key holes, right?
I've actually turned off my old 96 Accord when it was still running at like 40 mph. I was bored, in a safe area, and just did it for fun.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:45 AM
x95stacey

Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Can someone give me a scenario where you would want to do this since it'll lock your wheels, which might be kind of dangerous?

Nope, after shutting down, the steering wheel does not lock until you open the door so your steering will not lock. It will just require more effort to steer.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:08 AM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jnguyen
Hey guys I figure I would be a team player and take one for the team. Tried it on my way home from work and now my car won't start back up! Do you think the gas cap isn't tight enough? Thats what the dealership suggested, Any help?
LMAO
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by x95stacey
Nope, after shutting down, the steering wheel does not lock until you open the door so your steering will not lock. It will just require more effort to steer.
Thanks. Why would anyone want to shut it down while moving though?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM
jjkusaf

just throw the car in neutral. Forget all the "how do I turn the engine off". You may destroy the engine but it sure beats plowing into a intersection and dying. I still don't understand why the police officer didn't do that in the Lexus. Oh well...until you put yourself into a similar situation you will never know how you'll react.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by aznutx
mythbusters did an episode of what happens when u slam into reverse or park while the car is moving, they did it with a mt and at, and both cars just kept moving forward
Yeah I read an article about putting the car into reverse while driving forward on the freeway. There are safety mechanisms in place to prevent you from thrashing your transmission. The car they tested this with was a Ford, so I'd imagine pretty much every car has this feature (unless it's really old, then I'm not so sure).
Old 11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
cesG37

open door.... get the f*ck out
Old 11-18-2009, 10:32 AM
BlueMalibu

LOL.

This is one of the first things I tried with my G37 (I have a 09 6MT sedan BTW). You have to hold the button for a second or two and it shuts off. With the car off you can steer and brake. Like others said the steering is stiffer (but WAY better than my last car (CTS)). Power assist on braking works for 1 or 2 stops. Then you have manual brakes. NO BIG DEAL.

So where I live is at the bottom of a hill. You can shut the car off more than 1 mile away from home and coast right into the driveway. So sometimes I just shut er off and coast in. Why not? Saves a little (I admit VERY little) fuel and emissions. Have lived here awhile and done this with many cars (all manual trans).

The difference with the button is when it shuts off it ALL shuts off. Radio, dash etc. With my previous keyed cars you could cut the ignition but leave the car in accessory. The G37 freaks a little when you do stop. It beeps if you try and walk away from the car. It really wants you to turn it back on then off. The fix for this seems to be push the start button briefly again after its shut off and coasting. This turns on the ignition again without engaging the starter. Then when you stop push it again to shut it off again. Or you can bump start it (letting clutch out while in gear) if you want.

FYI, I wouldn't recommend coasting engine off with the AT as you are shutting off the fluid pump. MT does not have or need a fluid pump for the trans.

Last edited by BlueMalibu; 11-18-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: AT
Old 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jnguyen
Hey guys I figure I would be a team player and take one for the team. Tried it on my way home from work and now my car won't start back up! Do you think the gas cap isn't tight enough? Thats what the dealership suggested, Any help?

Pwned..
Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by BlueMalibu
LOL.

So where I live is at the bottom of a hill. You can shut the car off more than 1 mile away from home and coast right into the driveway. So sometimes I just shut er off and coast in. Why not? Saves a little (I admit VERY little) fuel and emissions. Have lived here awhile and done this with many cars (all .
lol, i can imagine you not paying attention one day and plowing through your garage door. maybe i'm imagining your hill differently than what it really is...
Old 11-18-2009, 04:33 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jjkusaf
just throw the car in neutral. Forget all the "how do I turn the engine off". You may destroy the engine but it sure beats plowing into a intersection and dying. I still don't understand why the police officer didn't do that in the Lexus. Oh well...until you put yourself into a similar situation you will never know how you'll react.
There are several blogs of people with similar incidents in their Lexus where the car accelerates uncontrollably. The problem several reported is that they could not control the car - braking was ineffective, shifting out of gear did nothing, etc. My guess is the computer modules that control all these systems are somehow preventing the systems from responding. If that is the case, it's a major bug to say the least, not a common problem with similar cars.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
jjkusaf

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
There are several blogs of people with similar incidents in their Lexus where the car accelerates uncontrollably. The problem several reported is that they could not control the car - braking was ineffective, shifting out of gear did nothing, etc. My guess is the computer modules that control all these systems are somehow preventing the systems from responding. If that is the case, it's a major bug to say the least, not a common problem with similar cars.
oh wow...are you serious? I admit that I have never tried shifting my g37 out of gear while accelerating (AT)...though I do on occasion shift to neutral when coming to a red light. I know I can shift my older 2001 Explorer into neutral regardless of what I'm doing. Have accidentally put in park while moving forward...trying to get into reverse....not a pretty sound.

Bad bug if that is the case with the Lexus...it should allow you to hit neutral regardless of what you are doing.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 PM
bluesun

The same thing has been reported with almost every car. Normally why the brakes do not work is that their foot is on the gas instead of the brake. However, the CHP officer was going down a freeway with 4 people in the car. How none of them suggested putting the car in neutral is beyond me though. They had enough time to call 911 and talk for a while.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:35 PM
daniel3ooo

^^ Lets say it just "wouldn't" go into neutral...if the whole problem is because he couldn't turn off the car because it was "keyless" could he have just tossed the key out the window?

At this point the car wouldn't be able to locate the key correct? Would the car then slow down on its own?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Originally Posted by daniel3ooo
^^ Lets say it just "wouldn't" go into neutral...if the whole problem is because he couldn't turn off the car because it was "keyless" could he have just tossed the key out the window?

At this point the car wouldn't be able to locate the key correct? Would the car then slow down on its own?
I doubt it. I've started my car in the driveway and then walked back in the house for 5-10min and it was still running when I came back out.