Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 AM
flagrant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7at vs 6mt pros n cons

list what you have if your happy or would want to switch!!! thanks
Old 11-06-2009, 04:34 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm torn, as a shift kit on a 7AT is....
Old 11-06-2009, 04:44 AM
gthal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had the auto for 10 months.... realized my mistake... traded for 6MT.

Bottom line though, this is all YOU. Doesn't matter whether we like a 6MT or 7AT... the real question is what do you want to live with day to day. Also, unless you spend HOURS in traffic each day, don't let that sway you. I have a 35-40 minute commute in bumper to bumper, 5mph traffic (which is why I initially bought the AT) and the 6MT doesn't bother me in the slightest.

IMO, if someone enjoys a MT and wants to feel connected, then just get the 6MT. Otherwise, get the 7AT. Both are great.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:00 AM
demuslee

I was initially going to buy the 6MT but after driving the 7AT went with it because the Sport Mode and manual shifting ability gave me the best of both worlds. The Manual mode isnt quite a 6AT but comes relatively close. Plus I thought of my hour long work commute in bumper to bumper traffic and went with the 7AT for sure! In some articles and posts I read, its easier to nail the 0-60 times in the S mode of the 7AT. I've nailed the 0-60 in 5.4 secs several times stock.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

I dunno, i think if you have to justify getting a 6MT then your better off with a 7AT.

For me, there's no substitute for a manual. i even had a 2005 5mt corolla at one point. 130hp of fury!!
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Mikenicco

Originally Posted by gthal
+1

I bought an Auto 08 350z. Liked it , but always felt like I was missing something. Traded it for the MT G (only drive manual a couple of times on my bro's z4). Took a financial hit, but it was worth it.

An Auto can't duplicate the feeling of a perfect downshift rev match before a turn, hitting the apex and then hauling *** out of the turn.

Get the manual!
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 AM
JonfromCB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my perspective....More interation between driver and car with MT. MT will
provide better performance numbers on a track or wherever the driver is able
to be very consistant on a specific route. My opinion is a professional driver will
extract better performance from a given car with a MT and most drivers only think
they get better performance from a MT. In everyday driving of different routes
and traffic situations much better performance will be achieved with an AT.
.....Just some food for thought.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
6MT is more Performance oriented. I love my 6MT. Only gripe with 6MT is the stock clutch isn't that good.

Manuals are more engaging therefore you are more occupied and more aware of your surroundings making them safer.

Also your automatic is going to overheat before my Manual will

Last edited by Xcalibur; 11-06-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:16 PM
flagrant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well this is my situation i had the auto for 6 months, loved that car tooo much... i just totaled it on halloween, it was hit so hard the roof and back 1/4 rippled lol i walked away thank god for airbags..... I alway thought i was missing something like with mt id be more connected to the car, but i do have to bout an hour to my girls house 4-5 nights week in bumper to bumper so id figured id ask you guys! im going to test drive the mt tomarrow ill let you know but keep your opinions coming
Old 11-06-2009, 02:11 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gthal

Bottom line though, this is all YOU. Doesn't matter whether we like a 6MT or 7AT... the real question is what do you want to live with day to day. Also, unless you spend HOURS in traffic each day, don't let that sway you. I have a 35-40 minute commute in bumper to bumper, 5mph traffic (which is why I initially bought the AT) and the 6MT doesn't bother me in the slightest.

IMO, if someone enjoys a MT and wants to feel connected, then just get the 6MT. Otherwise, get the 7AT. Both are great.
+1
Old 11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Used to drive manuals only. But, in those days, there was no trans like the 7AT. Given my driving types and styles, the auto was the way to go for me. (Not that I wouldn't love to spend a three day weekend with a six gear now and then.)
Old 11-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Z33TT&G37s

i love MT's but i wanted a worry free daily AT so AT it was for me. thankfully my Z quenches my thirst to drive a MT on the weekends. it makes driving my Z even that much more pleasurable.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM
y3chen86

There was a MT vs AT post and someone said (I forgot who said it): "You can't outshift a computer." Best comeback ever.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:59 PM
worldcrafter

Originally Posted by y3chen86
There was a MT vs AT post and someone said (I forgot who said it): "You can't outshift a computer." Best comeback ever.
i've watched quite a few vids of AT G37 accelerating and i'm surprised at how fast they are. i'm still learning how to get a good launch in my car with VDC off, I figured it would be so much easier than launching my old car (03 spec-v), not really..!
Old 11-06-2009, 03:01 PM
htownboy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by y3chen86
Try getting that computer to shift from 7th to 2nd. at 40-50MPH and wait for the lag and complaints while you try to get it there as the 6MT goes into 2nd. and is long gone down the road... LAG kills on the road, my buddy has a real nice 09 7AT, but he can pick any rolling speed and go, then I leap out and am ahead, where I stay.

From the line, he has taken me a couple of times (mostly, no), but be honest, are we drag racers? Most of your shifting takes place at some speed while cruising and that lag, even though it's lesser now with the 7AT, is non existent with a manual.

Paddle shifters don't help, LOL

From 40 - 100MPH, pull up on the side of my 6MT and get smoked from the launch on. Do you know how many times you gotta' hit those paddles to get down through the gears while I'm already gone?

Also, Houston has some of the worst traffic in the world I read... I never get tired of shifting.

Quick Reply: 7at vs 6mt pros n cons