G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

7at vs 6mt pros n cons

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:53 PM
fullvietFX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive both, then decide. None if better than the other IMO.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by htownboy
Try getting that computer to shift from 7th to 2nd. at 40-50MPH and wait for the lag and complaints while you try to get it there as the 6MT goes into 2nd. and is long gone down the road... LAG kills on the road, my buddy has a real nice 09 7AT, but he can pick any rolling speed and go, then I leap out and am ahead, where I stay.

From the line, he has taken me a couple of times (mostly, no), but be honest, are we drag racers? Most of your shifting takes place at some speed while cruising and that lag, even though it's lesser now with the 7AT, is non existent with a manual.

Paddle shifters don't help, LOL

From 40 - 100MPH, pull up on the side of my 6MT and get smoked from the launch on. Do you know how many times you gotta' hit those paddles to get down through the gears while I'm already gone?

Also, Houston has some of the worst traffic in the world I read... I never get tired of shifting.
Tell him to stop using manual mode and just leave it in D or DS. I can guarentee that AT will shift from 7->2 faster than you can go 6->2 in a MT without abusing your drivetrain.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:29 PM
ak1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw this article recently:
Top10: Reasons Real Men Drive Manual Cars - AskMen.com

It is right on the subject and it is funny, take a look
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ak1
I saw this article recently:
Top10: Reasons Real Men Drive Manual Cars - AskMen.com

It is right on the subject and it is funny, take a look
LOL! Great Link Thanks!

Yes autos can be modded with tranny valve body kits and maybe some G owners with those can chime in.

In a drag race a modded auto tranny is the fastest no doubt we see that in American muscle cars and even top fuel dragsters every day. But off the straightaway the Manual is better.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Mike

I'm not quite sure why the 6MT owners keep insisting that the MT is better.

1. It's been proven on the dyno that the AT does not lose a significant amount of power
2. the AT can shift faster than a MT can.
3. If the MT is already "in gear", why wouldn't the AT be?
4. the MT will cost more to maintain in the long run.
5. the MT has less resale value. Remember, the vast majority of Gs are AT. BMW 3s, Acura TLs and Lexus ISs have the same problem.

Remember, with the 6MT, to chirp gears, you're abusing your drivetrain. The stock 7AT will chirp gears all day with no excess wear and tear.

This is coming from the guy who's owned 10+ MT cars, and 2 AT cars. My G was a 5AT.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:10 PM
y3chen86

Try getting that computer to shift from 7th to 2nd. at 40-50MPH and wait for the lag and complaints while you try to get it there as the 6MT goes into 2nd. and is long gone down the road... LAG kills on the road, my buddy has a real nice 09 7AT, but he can pick any rolling speed and go, then I leap out and am ahead, where I stay.

From the line, he has taken me a couple of times (mostly, no), but be honest, are we drag racers? Most of your shifting takes place at some speed while cruising and that lag, even though it's lesser now with the 7AT, is non existent with a manual.

From 40 - 100MPH, pull up on the side of my 6MT and get smoked from the launch on. Do you know how many times you gotta' hit those paddles to get down through the gears while I'm already gone?

Also, Houston has some of the worst traffic in the world I read... I never get tired of shifting.
Well first, I don't think the car will let you be in 7th at 40-50 mph.

Second, lets see you get your MT from 6 to 7.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:42 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have the 5AT and driving it is petty much a no-brainer. just floor it and rawrrrrr it goessss
Old 11-06-2009, 09:53 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is all personal preference, this is a debate that will never be proven either way, I have 6MT and love it, are there times I wish I had auto, of course, but for the most part I went with 6MT because I feel connected to my car more, doesn't mean it's better or worse, this is all personal preference!!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 PM
Mikenicco

Originally Posted by Mike
I'm not quite sure why the 6MT owners keep insisting that the MT is better.

1. It's been proven on the dyno that the AT does not lose a significant amount of power
2. the AT can shift faster than a MT can.
3. If the MT is already "in gear", why wouldn't the AT be?
4. the MT will cost more to maintain in the long run.
5. the MT has less resale value. Remember, the vast majority of Gs are AT. BMW 3s, Acura TLs and Lexus ISs have the same problem.
Who cares...
It's easy to learn, hard to master. I enjoy trying to improve my technique everyday. Its simply fun being in control, and seeing a progression in my skills.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:26 PM
08g37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude has no idea what he's talking about !!!
Old 11-07-2009, 12:33 AM
The G

Well I don't like the look of replacing my clutch down the road. so..yeah.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Mike

Originally Posted by Mikenicco
Who cares...
It's easy to learn, hard to master. I enjoy trying to improve my technique everyday. Its simply fun being in control, and seeing a progression in my skills.
I've modified my drivetrain to suit my preferences...

one of which is an (almost stupidly) light flywheel
Old 11-07-2009, 06:29 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also went with 6MT as I was always under the impression that u can push more HP with a MT than with an auto for down the road possible twin turbo applications, but I'm not sure that matters anymore with these newer auto trannys. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on that??
Old 11-07-2009, 08:41 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
This has been discussed to death. 99% of the time it has turned into a whizzing match between AT and MT owners.