G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Stupid valet drivers.. what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 AM
XMMAN

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stupid valet drivers.. what do you think?

SO I decided to be the DD for everyone last night. I used valet because the parking is really horrible where I was and it is usually the safest option.. ANYWAY at 4am when we decide to call it a night, I go to pick up my car and guess what? the car's battery is dead. my car was parked fairly close to the front and I could here my car being tortured as the valet guy just kept on hitting the start button like it was going to magically come to life. I walk over there and the first thing that bothers me is that the key has been slid into the key holder on the dash. The hole was still a virgin and there is no need to put anythign in there. LOL. Then I ask the valet guys for a jump and that I have cables and they tell me they rather push start the car. Oh wait, so then i can have a blown clutch also, right? Anyway, we finally got the car started and everything was fine inside except my xm was turned to BPM(Techno) and it was on full blast. I did not loose any radio presets, settings, or have to reset my windows. So here are my questions:

1) Do I need to get a new battery now that it has been killed?

2) Is push starting our cars acceptable? What is the proper procedure, in case of an emergency?

(sorry for the winded post.. im still a lil bothered by all of it)

-chris-

Last edited by XMMAN; 10-31-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
just call up roadside assistance or jump start the car.

i guess they rpobably left your car in accessory and didn't turn off the power
Old 10-31-2009, 11:16 AM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
push starting the car is fine and was probably a better option than using jumper cables. most people don't know proper jumper cable procedure which could lead to electrical problems. you don't need a new battery if this one charges and starts the car as it did before.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Coupe Daddy

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
push starting the car is fine and was probably a better option than using jumper cables. most people don't know proper jumper cable procedure which could lead to electrical problems. you don't need a new battery if this one charges and starts the car as it did before.
This is true.

With today's cars and the electronics they have you should "only" jump start your car with a battery pack that has a surge protector. Also, you should never connect the negative jack to the negative terminal.

To the OP - You should be fine if it was something that the valet did to drain your battery, but if it is "dying" then of course I would recommend a new battery. The question is what is the case.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Your valet wasn't any good at all. Better valets, will drive your car, at high speed, all the time you are inside and keep the battery charged.

I used to valet, but haven't for the past forty years or so. I just ask them where *we're* going to park the car, I drive them there, lock it, and give them a nice tip... or I use the drive-thru.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:29 PM
XMMAN

what is the proper procedure to push start this car?
Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 PM
beezy619

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Ya bro, never valet your car and like the other person said, if you have to, ask if you could park it yourself. I used to be a valet and we used to torture the cars. Especially if it was a manual.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:51 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by XMMAN
FTFM (From The Friendly Manual ):
Do not attempt to start the engine by pushing.
CAUTION
Automatic transmission models cannot be
push-started or tow-started. Attempting to
do so may cause transmission damage.

Three way catalyst equipped models should
not be started by pushing since the three
way catalyst may be damaged.

Never try to start the vehicle by towing it;
when the engine starts, the forward surge
could cause the vehicle to collide with the
tow vehicle.

If needed, Roadside Assistance is available.
Please see your Warranty Information Booklet
or Roadside Assistance I.D. Card for the toll-free
number to call (U.S.) or Warranty & Roadside
Assistance Information Booklet (Canada).
Old 10-31-2009, 01:17 PM
XMMAN

Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
FTFM (From The Friendly Manual ):
Do not attempt to start the engine by pushing.
CAUTION
Automatic transmission models cannot be
push-started or tow-started. Attempting to
do so may cause transmission damage.

Three way catalyst equipped models should
not be started by pushing since the three
way catalyst may be damaged.

Never try to start the vehicle by towing it;
when the engine starts, the forward surge
could cause the vehicle to collide with the
tow vehicle.

If needed, Roadside Assistance is available.
Please see your Warranty Information Booklet
or Roadside Assistance I.D. Card for the toll-free
number to call (U.S.) or Warranty & Roadside
Assistance Information Booklet (Canada).
Thanks boomer, I didn't think it was safe to push start this car.. The valet guy was so aggressive in trying to get me to push start it. I was scared about my clutch though.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by XMMAN
Put the car in second gear and hold down the clutch pedal all the way. Put the ignition in the "ON" position. Make sure the key is inside the car. Have someone push the car until you get it rolling as fast as you can. Pop the clutch out. Car starts.

I have never push started my G, but that's the general procedure to push start a car.

I never, ever valet the G. Like others I simply tell them that I'd like to park in valet parking but park it myself. I get lots of dirty looks but usually when I tell them I intend to pay and tip as if they'd valeted it for me, it's fine. Once at Cheesecake Factory in San Antonio the valet manager got a pissy attitude with me when I asked to park it myself in valet. He told me, "Well if you don't want anybody else driving your car, apparently valet parking is not for you." I told him I'd pay and tip and he still said no with a bitchy attitude. I parked way around the corner which was the only place to self park. I told the manager inside the restaurant and he apologized. He walked out there with me, went to the valet manager and told him to never, ever do that to his patrons again. He told him to let me self park my car in the first valet spot by the door for free. I didn't tip.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:21 AM
rfabian85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Put the car in second gear and hold down the clutch pedal all the way. Put the ignition in the "ON" position. Make sure the key is inside the car. Have someone push the car until you get it rolling as fast as you can. Pop the clutch out. Car starts.

I have never push started my G, but that's the general procedure to push start a car.

I never, ever valet the G. Like others I simply tell them that I'd like to park in valet parking but park it myself. I get lots of dirty looks but usually when I tell them I intend to pay and tip as if they'd valeted it for me, it's fine. Once at Cheesecake Factory in San Antonio the valet manager got a pissy attitude with me when I asked to park it myself in valet. He told me, "Well if you don't want anybody else driving your car, apparently valet parking is not for you." I told him I'd pay and tip and he still said no with a bitchy attitude. I parked way around the corner which was the only place to self park. I told the manager inside the restaurant and he apologized. He walked out there with me, went to the valet manager and told him to never, ever do that to his patrons again. He told him to let me self park my car in the first valet spot by the door for free. I didn't tip.
Thats awesome i HATE valet.. I would have done the same and not tipped..
Old 11-01-2009, 01:50 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
if I valet I use my cobb so it can't go over 3k.so if the valet wants to try to beat on it,he'll have more fun with a hyundai elantra.(I used to valet we would beat on anything if given the oppertunity.)

Last edited by RISKY GUY; 11-01-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Xcalibur
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer-Bob
I just ask them where *we're* going to park the car, I drive them there, lock it, and give them a nice tip...

Exactly what I do only and only if I'm going out somewhere with a date or friends that leave me with a choice of bad parking or valet.

Seriously I assume most lease the G or some dont care much about there car. If you did you'd never let someone you don't know park your car. Do it yourself.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:37 PM
charlesdc54

My partner learned the had way about Valet's. He got out of our MR2 Turbo, and stated up the escalator before he reached the top heard the beep of the alarm. When he came out 1 ½ hrs later the car was still in the middle of the drive. MR2' are hard to break into by the untrained left us with window seal and trim damage, dead battery etc. So we don't use Valets any more. I park the G a fair distance form the door and walk. I think it's best to park it you self. In our case if not sure about the area we will take his Prius.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:49 AM
joey_v

Do not valet your car unless absolutely necessary. These guys are morons. My rear right rims got scuffed by their idiocy.

Quick Reply: Stupid valet drivers.. what do you think?