Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help me chose between G37x and G37s,...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Rocktacular96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me chose between G37x and G37s,...

I've been driving a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT Coupe since I bought it new in 2000. I'm ready for an upgrade, and I've settled on a G37. I'm hoping you guys can help me decide between the G37x and the G37s.

I need to use this car all year round. My Grand Prix was actually not bad at all in the snow. But, it is FWD. Would it be safe to assume that the G37s would do much worse in the snow than my Grand Prix?

I would just go with the G37x, but I feel like I would really miss the paddle shifters, brakes, sports suspension, wheels, sportier look, and LSD. So this has turned into a tougher choice than I originally thought.

I'm in New Jersey, so anyone in the area that wants to chime in would be very helpful.

How is the G37s in bad weather? On the flip side,...how much of a difference does the sports package make, and could I live without it in favor of AWD? Is it possible to upgrade the G37x closer to the G37s?

Thanks, guys.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:13 AM
HP_John

The G37 would likely do much worse in snow, for most drivers. There's only a small % of drivers who know how to properly drive a RWD car in winter. I'd go for the G37x if it was out at the time I got my G37.

G37 isn't good in winter for most drivers, no matter what people on here try to tell you. Over the yrs, I've been on tons of forums, I've never seen a forum where most people admit their car isn't good in winter, so if I just go off that, I'd have to assume there's no such thing as a car that's bad in winter. While the G37 may be adequate enough in winter for owners, in the overall spectrum of all modern cars, all with winter tires, the G37 would be below avg for most drivers (again, considering how most people don't know how to properly drive a RWD car in winter).

Reality is, for most drivers, the G37s is going to be bad in winter, even with snow tires. I've had other RWD cars in my life like 3-Series, IS, the G37 is the worst. I have Bridgeston Blizzaks, which are a good winter tire. The problem is the G37s brakes are so big, even the smallest winter tire you can get for them is too big to be ideal for winter, all other things being equal.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:16 AM
MoonliteMadness

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I live in New Jersey too and depend on my G to get me to work everyday - sometimes far from home for meetings. When shopping for my G, I was faced with the same predicament as you - go for the S which is better looking and has some performance upgrades or go with the X with the peace of mind and safety of all-wheel drive. I asked my Infiniti salesman his opinion and based on where I live and the fact I would need to drive my G for work everyday, he said to definitely go with the X (he had both X's and S's on the lot). So, the rational side of my brain won out and I am the happy owner of a X - with no regrets. There will be people on this forum who will tell you they have an S with winter tires that drives fine in the snow - trust me, that is no substitute for all-wheel drive. Many of those people don't live in the northeast or depend on their G everyday to get to work. I say definitely go with the X. One last thing, don't just think of the X for winter weather, the X will also give you an advantage in rainy weather year-round - and we sure as hell are getting a lot of rain in NJ!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 AM
focker

I'm from Chicago and also had the same problem. I had a g35 coupe for almost 5 years, and was just sick of not being able to drive it in the snow, even if it was an inch of snow the car wouldn't move. The S looks better because it sits lower, and comes with a few more bells and whistles. RWD is fun as hell to drive as well, but I had to make the safe choice and go with the X.

I do miss donuts on dry pavement. :/
Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search. the end.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:05 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HP_John
winter). I have Bridgeston Blizzaks, which are a good winter tire.
Not really, the only Blizzaks that fit the G37s are SPORT winter tires. IMHO, the LM-25 is just slightly better than your typical all season tire. The LM-60 is TBD.

I find my G37s with true 18" snow tires is slightly better than my FWD Honda with all season 16" tires.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
gyukang2

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
go for the X model
Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sry for the double post but I meant to add a couple more thoughts...

I wouldn't miss my paddle shifters at all because (in DS mode) the car shifts better than I can. Maybe if I took it to the track I'd get better but I think it would take a lot of practice. I would think the 7sp would be even harder to shift manually. That red line comes really quick...

Also, CNJ has relatively mild winters. A G37s with snow tires should keep up with the FWD cars with all season tires.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
Triple_X

you can always upgrade the brakes, suspension and even the front bumper if you wanted and in the end still have an AWD car. Problem is not many upgrades available yet. Besides not having the BBK, I am 100% happy with my decision.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:56 PM
heff

dude i drive my G37S in the winter here in canada and it snows a **** tonne here and ice all over the roads! just get a set of winter tires and drive normally, no spirited driving in the winter lol but thats a given. RWD is sooooo "scary" in the winter NAAAATTTTT!!! I see so many RWD cars out there in the snow (lots of mustangs, G35's, porches, and a few nsx's on campus!) u just have to be a sane deffensive driver.

Plus the S RWD is sooo much nicer etc etc and u get the option of 6mt which rox ballz. Ull regret not getting the S trust me : )
Old 10-28-2009, 04:00 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Dude, you made me feel better. We just got a 2008 Journey Coupe and while we have a Xterra to drive on days we know it's gonna snow I was getting worried about a dusting taking out my G if I get caught. It still has the stock Dunlop M&S tires on it.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:40 PM
mike55912

I live in long Island and last winter drove my S with the summer tires on during the winter....and surprissing me it wasnt so bad. There were mabey at most 5 days when the weather was really bad and I didnt drive it....I borrowed my brothers car. This winter I bought winter tires and rims, b/c i dont have his car to borrow anymore. How many days do we usually have bad snow, not many....
Old 10-28-2009, 07:03 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
you can get the g37xS 4door sedan if you're looking at that...

but mike55912 is right... my girl even drives her g37s w/ summers in the snow... granted when it does snow i let her take an AWD sedan from the dealership...

but the g37 rwd coupe w/ snows on in the winter work out great... you'll enjoy the suspension, brakes, and seats....

go for the RWD... ! if you need help I got 7 of them i need to move
Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 PM
jeffyb

Dude, I think you need to think about what you REALLY want?

If you want a manual transmission, you are absolutely going to regret it. All wheel drive is nice, but I have driven a multitude of RWD cars in the snow and they are not a problem if you have good tires.

If you are deciding between an automatic sport and the X, it's still a tough decision, because don't forget if you don't really "want" AWD you are adding another 200 lbs to your car.

Not only that but the extra cost of the AWD.

I would say just get what you want, if not you will regret it. RWD can be driven in the snow with good tires, and people greatly over exaggerate how bad they are in the snow. I don't know about you, but if there's enough snow out to where I can't drive my RWD with snow tires, I don't think it's safe for anyone to be driving.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:41 PM
09G37xCpe

Just bought an X coupe and I have to tell you I LOVE this car. I've had to drive it in the crappy weather we've had the last couple of days (sniffles) and I've had zero problems driving through all the windy roads and hills in PA (I'm in the Lehigh Valley...about 10 minutes from the NJ border.) It was never a 2nd thought to get the X and I can't drive it enough.

Plus even with the pouring rain we've been having the car hasn't slipped once. I'm able to get up and go from a stop and really hug corners and the car doesn't ever think twice. The car only kicks the AWD on when it thinks it needs it and you have a switch for when it does get nasty out (although most of the guys at the dealerships I've talked to have basically said you'll never need it.)

I have had a line of people in my office all week talking about how great the car looks. Our receptionist calls it the sexy car. It really gets a lot of compliments all its own straight stock.

There are reasons to get the sport but for me I really wanted an AWD car and I've had such great luck with Infiniti (I kept my 99 G20...has been a tank all these years) when I heard they put the AWD on the coupe I was sold before I even drove it. Plus the wife said I could get a new car as long as it was AWD...so this worked perfectly.

Good luck...you really can't go wrong either way...but up here I'm loving my X.

Quick Reply: Help me chose between G37x and G37s,...