G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help me chose between G37x and G37s,...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:39 AM
HP_John

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doesn't the X act as a RWD car most of the time, only AWD kicking in when it's needed? If that's the case, I see the AWD as really attractive (I have RWD)
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 PM
DEC1

I have a g37s and put 18" Blizzaks on it last year. I live in MA and have a 150 mile round trip commute each day. This car is below avg in the snow even with the Blizzaks but its passable. Again if common sense prevails and you don't drive like an idiot.

I think in some ways it comes down to whether you want an all out equippped sports car with manual shift...or a commuter that is safe but doesn;t take advantage of all this car has to offer. I just got done driving an auto 37X sedan for two weeks while my coupe was being fixed...I realize its a sedan but gave a sense of what the awd coupe is like....not even in the same world as far as handling and feel

I've seen the awd and its a shame they didn't make sport an option. It looks cheap with the regular metal brakes...at least they could have put the painted calipers like on the sport rears

Would anyone be surprised if they did it for 2010? Does anyone know if it will be? Might be worth it to find out...they'll be here in a few months

good luck with your choice!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 PM
09G37xCpe

Originally Posted by HP_John
Doesn't the X act as a RWD car most of the time, only AWD kicking in when it's needed? If that's the case, I see the AWD as really attractive (I have RWD)
Yep this is correct. It has a switch on the console to turn on the AWD and it'll automatically kick it in if it detects slip (you'll see the SLIP flashing on the dash.) The dealer I talked to said almost no one up here turns on the AWD even in bad weather because the car is smarter than all of us.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
zube

I'm in in Central NJ as well and I faced the same decision as you. The G is my only car so I need to drive it in the rain and snow. I went with the X.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:24 AM
WhiteAWDcoupe

central jersey here too, i just got my g37x 2-3 weeks ago...love it.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 PM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 09G37xCpe
Yep this is correct. It has a switch on the console to turn on the AWD and it'll automatically kick it in if it detects slip (you'll see the SLIP flashing on the dash.) The dealer I talked to said almost no one up here turns on the AWD even in bad weather because the car is smarter than all of us.
Actually your comment about the switch is incorrect. There is no switch for AWD as it is a full time system and enabled all the time but as noted above biases the power to the rear wheels and then intelligently splits the torque between the rear and front as needed based on loss of traction detected.

The VDC switch I believe you're referring to controls the traction and stability control system (or active handling depending on what you're familiar with) which works in two parts. The traction control prevents wheel spin during acceleration and uses a combination of engine control and ABS. The stability control prevents oversteer or understeer conditions (spin out or pushing) by detecting steering input, throttle, yaw, etc. and can adjust individual wheel spin and torque to correct the car's attitude.

The AWD system in this is very advanced and results in secure footing in any condition as long as you don't try to push beyond reasonable limits of the car. Having said that it will keep the car firmly planted in dry, wet or snow conditions.

I've driven many years in Canadian winters with RWD and AWD cars. Personally I hate FWD because your front wheels have too many forces (turning and acceleration) which would always want to plow (understeer) in a turn, but that's just my experience. With RWD you will need snow tires (all 4) although you may be OK with all-seasons if won't need to go out on stormy days. Personally I love the AWD handling year round even with all-seasons which you would be fine with in NJ.

By the way, my last car was a 2000 Corvette (6-spd) which was only driven in the summer. I sold it as well as a second all-weather/winter car for the G and don't regret it one bit.

Last edited by SkyMG37x; 11-23-2009 at 10:53 AM.