G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Help me chose between G37x and G37s,...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
jleddo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37S seats are awful! They break down after several thousand miles and you are left sitting on the hardware. Leather quality is subpar.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:20 PM
jeffyb

I didn't even know the seats were different..!
Old 10-30-2009, 02:49 AM
HP_John

Originally Posted by joeposter
Not really, the only Blizzaks that fit the G37s are SPORT winter tires. IMHO, the LM-25 is just slightly better than your typical all season tire. The LM-60 is TBD.

I find my G37s with true 18" snow tires is slightly better than my FWD Honda with all season 16" tires.
I don't have a G37s, I have a rwd G37 non-sport model, guess I should've pointed that out. In any case, I imagine it may be worse for the sport model, as the brakes are so big that you can only put 19" on them, if this is incorrect, I apologize, that's what I've been led to believe.

My G37 with 18" snow tires is worse to most people than my FWD Maxima with all season 17" tires
Old 10-30-2009, 02:54 AM
HP_John

Originally Posted by heff
dude i drive my G37S in the winter here in canada and it snows a **** tonne here and ice all over the roads! just get a set of winter tires and drive normally, no spirited driving in the winter lol but thats a given. RWD is sooooo "scary" in the winter NAAAATTTTT!!! I see so many RWD cars out there in the snow (lots of mustangs, G35's, porches, and a few nsx's on campus!) u just have to be a sane deffensive driver.

Plus the S RWD is sooo much nicer etc etc and u get the option of 6mt which rox ballz. Ull regret not getting the S trust me : )
Most people don't know how to properly drive a RWD car in winter, so for most of the population, it is scary. You can't assume that the avg driver knows how to properly drive RWD in winter, because in truth, most don't.

I've had a 3-Series & IS300 before, both rwd cars that did better than the G37 in winter. I believe this is due to the G37's massive minimum tire size.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:20 AM
Rocktacular96

Thanks to everyone who responded. You've all been a great help. Actually, this whole site has been a great help in choosing color, options, possible mods, etc.

I just want to clarify a little bit. I'm a fairy good driver. I don't see myself having any more trouble that an average person with the G37s in the snow/ice. I just like the peace of mind in having AWD for the times it would help. I think those times would pop up a bit more than times where I could really appreciate what the sport suspension would offer. Being honest with myself,...I'm not too much of an enthusiast driver. Yes, there will be times when I drive fast, or zip around corners. But, it won't be too much.

I test drove a G37x tonight, and I didn't find myself wanting a sportier suspension. Coming from my 2000 Grand Prix, the X was a huge improvement in every way and I LOVED it. I plan on test driving the S this weekend, to see if that changes my mind though

The dealer will swap the bumper, for a sport bumper, as part of our deal. I also plan on doing some mods to the car (Drop, pc wheels & grill, maybe wheels, maybe brakes, etc.).

Basically, I will drive the S and see if I can live without what it offers that I can't mod into the X. I wish I could put the AWD through it's paces, to see if it actually does a much better job than the S in certain situations. If not, I would probably just get the S. But, I'm getting the feeling that it does.

Again, I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Rocktacular96; 10-30-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
focker

Originally Posted by 09G37xCpe
Plus the wife said I could get a new car as long as it was AWD....

The wife said you can get the car? oh boy..

Last edited by focker; 10-30-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:06 PM
09G37xCpe

Originally Posted by focker
The wife said you can get the car? oh boy..
Yeah...she's cool though. We're all about compromise.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:39 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
well i hope all of these opinions have helped yuou
Old 10-31-2009, 06:10 PM
joeposter
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HP_John
I don't have a G37s, I have a rwd G37 non-sport model, guess I should've pointed that out. In any case, I imagine it may be worse for the sport model, as the brakes are so big that you can only put 19" on them, if this is incorrect, I apologize, that's what I've been led to believe.

My G37 with 18" snow tires is worse to most people than my FWD Maxima with all season 17" tires
You can get 18s on the S if you get wheels cut for big brakes. That's what I'm running.

If you don't have the S then you're lacking the VLSD which will affect traction. Also, like I pointed out, you can't get Blizzaks that are real snow tires for the G37s.

Last edited by joeposter; 11-20-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 AM
jmonagh

G37x

I'm newly switched over from the 350Z site and just went through this myself. I used to have a 350Z 6MT with Blizzaks. I live in northern VA now and frequently got stuck last winter. Mostly, from being shoveled in while parked at work, etc. Front wheel/All wheel drive would have made it possible to get unstuck relatively easy. Assuming the G37 handles as well... you can drive it in the snow and it will go, especially if you add some weight over the wheels with good snow tires.

I grew up in the Midwest and also lived in Connectuct so I know how to drive in the winter. I have never owned a front wheel drive car (the past 22 years that I've been driving) and the past 14 years have all been in a manual. I ended up getting the X even though there is not a manual version. Switching was a big deal...

Not getting stuck and having better traction was worth it. Besides it drives in RWD most of the time. I'm getting older so I didn't care for the Sport stuff as much. Besides I got a lot got more attention in my Z than I do in the G37...

J.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:22 AM
flagrant

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a g37s i love that car like ive never loved a car before. that being said, even in the rain the s handled perfect, i never got to drive it in the snow cause i totaled it on halloween..lol but im going to get another g37s stick baby
Old 11-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Diving

I am having the same dilemma as well now. I test drove a X coupe tonight for the first time. I had my mind set on a Sport 6mt but now I am not sure after the salesman was pushing the AWD model pretty hard on me. The dealer doesn't have any Sports on the lot that I can test out either.

The smart decision would be to buy the AWD since I live in Canada but the Sport features seem irresistible. I am now leaning towards the 7AT as well after using the sport mode REV matching feature which was fun.

2 weeks to make my decision before I order...
Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 AM
beerme986

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you said the dealer doesnt have any sport on the lot. Exactly why is he pushing you to buy the g37x they DO have on the lot. Dealers seem to hate allocating a car for you and do their best to sell you their current inventory. I'm a firm believer in g37S whether you live in Hawaii or Alaska. This a sports car, equip it as such
Old 11-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Diving

Yea i know thats the main reason why hes pushing it. Apparently they only special order the sports though, was told this on a multiple occasions by different salesmen.

I'll probably just end up going with my gut and get the Sport, if I don't I'll always be thinking about it.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:04 AM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
S = drift when you're able to

X = no drift

An X version without the S package is like driving a Toyota Camry. I was given an X for a loaner, and couldn't take the corner like I did on my S. The only downside for the rwd S is you might have to spend for winter shoes.

Quick Reply: Help me chose between G37x and G37s,...