G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Rear Ended Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Definitely glad to hear you and your wife still have your lives but I would've called an ambulance or two and taken a trip. That would've certified the damage incurred to your car as well as to the most two precious cargo.

BTW, what kind of car was the lady driving?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:08 PM
SnoopDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DaCePtak0n
Definitely glad to hear you and your wife still have your lives but I would've called an ambulance or two and taken a trip. That would've certified the damage incurred to your car as well as to the most two precious cargo.

BTW, what kind of car was the lady driving?
We did go to ER and got "certified" with concussions and neck sprain in case anything worse develops in next few weeks... She was driving an 05 Sebring.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
SnoopDawg

Originally Posted by SpawnAero
I like how they left the passenger side window uncovered... Well if it rains that's money in your pocket!
Actually i put both windows down after the crash to clear the airbag smoke as it filled the cabin and was kind of making us choke... After about 30min the battery died, I tried to roll them up before the tow truck took it back, probably a short or two in the trunk somewhere...
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
You should deal strictly with the person who's at fault insurance company. If you file a claim with yours, your insurance will go up. Geico should do good by you but they will probably drop the lady that hit you. I know from first hand as we were hit (not the G) and my State Farm rep said they would be glad to help but it would go on my record with State Farm and you really don't want to do that. The only time you would involve your insurance company is if you were at fault, it was a hit & run, or the person at fault didn't have insurance.
Absolutely not true (least in all states)

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I'm not sure about your state laws but in NC there is a thing called subrogation. You go through your own ins co then they handle getting refunded by the opposing party. Once the subrogation is complete, it does not count against your record at all. I've done this a couple of times with positive results and without the hassle of hagling with an adjuster from the other person's ins co.
Same here in Texas..... IN FACT.... I just went this route when my neighbor backed into my G causing $1,400 in damage. I chose to go through my insurance (State Farm). They paid to have the car repaired and are now going after my neighbors insurance. I DID have to pay my deductible but I will get that back.

OP you did the right thing.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd be surprised is that's not totalled... Likely frame damage in the rear. Front doesn't look too bad.

Best of luck. Glad you and your wife escaped without injury.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SnoopDawg
I'm actually hoping its a write off, don't think I'd feel safe driving it if they fix it, if they do I'll take the loss on the sale and get a new one just to have the peace of mind that it's ready to take another hit if I should be so unlucky...
Dang! That hurts just to look at it. If you and yours are okay, that's what counts. I think you'll be driving a new car soon. Diminished value and lost use should do it if it's not there now. Be sure to get an adjuster that's on your side if you don't get what you deserve from the at fault party's insurer.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
superslick

The whole conception of "talking to your adjuster" or "getting multiple estimates from high end shops" does little to persuade an insurance companies decision to total out a car. If the car can not be repaired to the way it was pre-loss, insurance is not going to fix it. Last thing they want is a lawsuit for repairing a vehicle that is a rolling liability. They look at all factors. How much is the repair going to cost. How much rental they have to pay out. How much will the car get for salvage. All this will help decide if the vehicle is a total loss or not.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:48 PM
SnoopDawg

Tried to get the collision shop that had it since the crash to release the car to the body shop affiliated with the dealer I bought my car from over the phone and the guy was being a douche... I guess he was pretty pissed he wasn't going to get the work and really tried to convince me to let him do it. Gave me the ******* when he started talking about getting discounted parts, charging the insurance company full cost and splitting the difference with me, can you say "insurance fraud!?". Made me get a notarized letter saying I release it (traveling on biz and am out of town so not a service you pick up at an airport easily...). Now he claims I owe him for the tow, when I know I called AAA to pick up the car, I guess I have to give them a call and get that straightened out. So another day lost because of this *****. But should be all set for getting it transfered tomorrow. Talk about kicking somebody when they are down.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:04 AM
SnoopDawg

Got the unofficial word from dealership that the adjuster said the car is a total loss. Should have official news on fri/mon. Trying to figure out an estimate to go back to the adjuster with. Not many 09's in the market place to get comp's to, specially with < 6K miles. Apparently the adjuster said he couldn't get a good comp either which makes me a little nervous about 1) the total loss claim and 2) the offer they come back with...
Old 10-26-2009, 05:02 AM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SnoopDawg
Got the unofficial word from dealership that the adjuster said the car is a total loss. Should have official news on fri/mon. Trying to figure out an estimate to go back to the adjuster with. Not many 09's in the market place to get comp's to, specially with < 6K miles. Apparently the adjuster said he couldn't get a good comp either which makes me a little nervous about 1) the total loss claim and 2) the offer they come back with...
It helped getting mine wrote off due to so few of these on the road (mine had < 3000 miles). So no salvage or like new parts. Also, when a shop gives you an estimate, go over it thoroughly. I found they missed a lot. Like forgetting to quote labour for removing the engine to fix the frame rails, and not knowing about the self-healing clear coat (which cost more than what they planned on painting it with).

Insurance in my area says a write off requires the damage be 80% of the vehicle cost. Mine wasn't, technically. I did the math for the adjuster... the salvage cost at auction for the remains of the car should get at least 40% of the new value due to the rarity + the repair bill = $22,000 + $34,000 = $56,000. Using $56,000 he was convinced to write the car off.
(this is in Cdn dollars)

P.S. initial collision quotes on the car were $12,000 and climbed every time someone reviewed the estimate and found stuff missing or incorrect.

Frame damage is likely. I barely dented in the bumper and smashed the grill and they found both frame rails bent 90 degrees.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
SnoopDawg

Final Result

Thought I'd close this out in case some unfortunate soul is looking for guidance in the future...

The car was totaled, it was 22K worth of damage without taking the car apart. The collision shop said they'd have to cut the car in two and replace the rear end, not worth it...

The bimbo that hit me only had 10K property damage (i can't believe that is legally considered insurance these days). I had to put the claim through my own collision policy and they can subrogate or do whatever it is they do...

Initial payout offer was a joke, i couldn't have bought a used 08 for what they offered me. Took me over a week to get the comp report from the adjuster but once i got it it was pretty easy to see what was going on. They had used only 2 cars and both were base models. Mine was a G37S 6MT with Prem, Nav, 4WAS and spoiler (mats etc...). Once I pointed out these "inadvertent discrepancies" the second offer was over 6K more than the initial and I'm taking it (feel it's fair and I can replace my vehicle).

My initial experience with the first adjuster was not at all positive, she had an almost threatening attitude, but, after a few nasty letters and phone calls I got a different adjuster and she was much more professional, actually a pleasure to deal with. Wonder if this is the typical good adjuster, bad adjuster scenario...

Took over 3 weeks sine the accident to get the property claim settled.

On the bright side I'm looking for a replacement G37S 6MT (new). If i can't find a 6MT may have to go look at alternatives, or wait for 2010's...

Cheers ya'll!