Sponsored By:

G37 Rear Ended Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 09:21 PM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I am confused.
Aren't we suppose to contact our insurance company if you get involved in car accident regardless of fault step 6.

State farm..
What to do after an auto accident:

1. Stay as calm as possible.
2. Check for injuries. Life and health are more important than damage to vehicles. When in doubt, call an ambulance.
3. If the accident is minor and there are no serious injuries, move cars to a safe place, rather than risk being in moving traffic.
4. Turn on hazard lights. If warranted, and possible, use cones, warning triangles or flares for safety.
5. Call the police, even if the accident is minor.
6. Notify your insurance agent about the accident immediately.
7. Don't sign any document unless it is for the police or your insurance agent
8. Make immediate notes about the accident including the specific damages to all vehicles involved. If the name on the auto registration and/or insurance policy is different from the name of the driver, establish the relationship and jot it down. Get witness information, if possible, as well.
9. Be polite, but don't tell the other drivers or the police that the accident was your fault, even if you think it was. Likewise, do not accuse the other drivers of being at fault at this time. Everyone is usually shaken up immediately after an accident, and it is wise to state only the facts. Limit your discussion of the accident to the insurance agent and the police. Even if the facts are embarrassing or detrimental to you, be truthful.
10. If you have a camera handy, and it is safe to do so, it may be helpful to photograph the accident scene.
11. If possible, do not leave the accident scene before the police officers and other drivers do.
12. Finally, remember that while getting the facts is very important, investigating the accident should be left to the police officers and the insurance companies.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:48 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
You should deal strictly with the person who's at fault insurance company. If you file a claim with yours, your insurance will go up. Geico should do good by you but they will probably drop the lady that hit you. I know from first hand as we were hit (not the G) and my State Farm rep said they would be glad to help but it would go on my record with State Farm and you really don't want to do that. The only time you would involve your insurance company is if you were at fault, it was a hit & run, or the person at fault didn't have insurance.
I'm not sure about your state laws but in NC there is a thing called subrogation. You go through your own ins co then they handle getting refunded by the opposing party. Once the subrogation is complete, it does not count against your record at all. I've done this a couple of times with positive results and without the hassle of hagling with an adjuster from the other person's ins co.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
I'm in MD, you can contact your own agent just to let them know but you don't file a claim with them. You deal stricktly with the "at fault" insurance company. I would call your State Farm agent and ask them specific questions about this and how it's handled in your state. You don't want State Farm writing the check because they will just get it back from you in the long run. I'm surprised they didn't mention it to you. That was one of the first things out of mine, were you at fault? No .... then you should be dealing with the other company.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:17 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
I'm not sure about your state laws but in NC there is a thing called subrogation. You go through your own ins co then they handle getting refunded by the opposing party. Once the subrogation is complete, it does not count against your record at all. I've done this a couple of times with positive results and without the hassle of hagling with an adjuster from the other person's ins co.
I like that meathod .... seems like the logical way it should happen so your company can be an advocate for you. In my two cases though, I got treated pretty well by the other companies. (Nationwide and some small company out of NC)
Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 PM
SnoopDawg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Googled Subrogation in Florida and looks like it applies. Also found references to dealing with your own insurance (State Farm in my case) and then having them recover from the other parties ins. I'd hate to get my rates jacked up because I got plowed into. Thanks Ya'll!
Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Mike P

Glad your ok. Too bad about your car. I would also be concerned about my neck. In years past, this type of accident might have killed someone. 60-65 mph at impact, WOW. Glad you and your wife are OK. Geez. Can always get another car. I would ask for a total given the impact and the airbag deployment.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:00 AM
SpawnAero
Former Sponsor

Well.. I dont think its a total. I used to work at a production body shop and we had many cars there like this. By the looks of it. Mainly just bumpers, quarter panels, rear floor panel, and a few other things.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:05 AM
SpawnAero
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SnoopDawg
Went to the lot where the car is at but it was closed so took a few pics from quite far back. The front windshield is cracked in driver side. The two "snake bites" you see on bottom of bumper are from the truck, the one on the left is where the trailer hitch went through, so although damage doesn't look bad, there is quite a bit of damage underneath and behind the bumper.

Feel like I lost a wrestling match with a bear today, since I saw the car coming i grabbed onto the steering wheel for dear life and my forearms and grip are a joke today, wife's welt on the forehead is blooming nicely too. Still counting our lucky stars!

The side curtain bags did not deploy, i think those only go of on a side impact.
Attachment 82382

Attachment 82383

I like how they left the passenger side window uncovered... Well if it rains that's money in your pocket!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:41 AM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
possible total

Let me start with I'm glad noone was hurt.

I wrote one of these off already this year, 2 weeks after I bought it (only 3k kms on it). I talked my insurance company into a write off when the repair bill grew over $30,000 and my car wasn't nearly as damaged as yours from those pics. I only had front end damage but due to the engineering the frame rails bent (impact speed was under 30). Luckily the car absorbs so much I didn't even know I was in an accident, which was confusing when the air bags went off.

Since there are few to no salvage parts for these, the auction value is high for the insurance company. It also means new parts from Infiniti which are crazy expensive. The insurance company did agree and gave me full replacement to get another one. I did have to talk them into adding the auction value of the car to the repair estimate though, but your repair looks way more extensive then mine.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 AM
SnoopDawg

Day 2 soreness...

Well, it's true what they say about day 2 being worse. My forearms and hands are really sore (from holding on to the wheel) and my abs feel like i did about a 1000 sit ups and calves are really sore too... Neck and back aren't too bad, so far mostly muscle pain. The weakness in the neck (both my wife and mine) is gone and replaced by muscle soreness.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 AM
SnoopDawg

Originally Posted by SpawnAero
Well.. I dont think its a total. I used to work at a production body shop and we had many cars there like this. By the looks of it. Mainly just bumpers, quarter panels, rear floor panel, and a few other things.
I hope you're wrong, but its not a cheap car so I could see how the insurance company would try to safe a few grand by putting this one back on the road.

Last edited by SnoopDawg; 10-18-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:11 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow that is horrible.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:12 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

I really hope it is a total, that car will never be normal again.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:14 PM
SnoopDawg

Originally Posted by redfoster
Let me start with I'm glad noone was hurt.

I wrote one of these off already this year, 2 weeks after I bought it (only 3k kms on it). I talked my insurance company into a write off when the repair bill grew over $30,000 and my car wasn't nearly as damaged as yours from those pics. I only had front end damage but due to the engineering the frame rails bent (impact speed was under 30). Luckily the car absorbs so much I didn't even know I was in an accident, which was confusing when the air bags went off.

Since there are few to no salvage parts for these, the auction value is high for the insurance company. It also means new parts from Infiniti which are crazy expensive. The insurance company did agree and gave me full replacement to get another one. I did have to talk them into adding the auction value of the car to the repair estimate though, but your repair looks way more extensive then mine.
Hi red, how does one go about "talking" an insurance company into writing a car off? Didn't think I'd have too much of a choice, maybe you can provide some pointers coaching
Old 10-18-2009, 01:20 PM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Originally Posted by SnoopDawg
Hi red, how does one go about "talking" an insurance company into writing a car off? Didn't think I'd have too much of a choice, maybe you can provide some pointers coaching
Just talk to the adjuster. Also get some other quotes from various body shops. In the end you decide where your car is fixed.

Insurance companies have deals worked out with various shops and get discounted rates. If you bring acouple estimates from higher priced shops, they will lean more towards totaling it out.

Quick Reply: G37 Rear Ended Last Night