Sponsored By:

Preparing for Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM
AldinG37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Preparing for Winter

Hello to all,

As many of you know, or the ones having to put up with living in the North, winter is nearing. I am getting ready to put my car into storage and just making sure i did not forget anything, and maybe to give a heads up to others who will be doing the same.

Car will be in storage October 18th

Oil Change Performed
Fuel Stabilizer
Battery Removal

This will help with electronics and engine.

Tire inflated to 38-40psi to help with Tire bumps.
Exhausts blocked off with dryer tissues
Car interior place dryer tissues (mice dont like the smell)
Moth ***** placed on tires (again for mice)

Did i forget anything? any other suggestions?

ohh yea... call your Insurance Co and let them know you are storing, drops your Insurance Premium drastically! lol

Ohh how i will miss her
Old 10-12-2009, 05:51 PM
focker

Great post, sounds like you have covered everything. You'll see her again in April, or if you live in Chicago, July.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:26 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Great list.

Here are just a few additions:

I have a classic MGB and I also put her up on jack stands and get all 4 wheels off the ground. This helps to prevent flat spotting of the tires and will increase the longevity of your suspension. Addiitonally, having the car in the air will allow you to start the car and warm her up and run through the gears while still in the garage. This is very good for bearings, seals and gasket preservation and shoul dbe done at least monthly.

Instead of battery removal or disconnecting, I hook up to a trckle charger - this will ensure that the battery remains fresh & gets cycled properly.

Block off the intakes - air cleaners make nice winter homes for small rodents too.

Lastly, buy yourself a good quality cover, give her a kiss good night & tuck her in tight!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
krypt0n1te83

Not to rub it in or anything, but boy am i glad i live in SoCal where i can drive my car all 365.25 days a year. I never knew u guys have to go thru this much trouble.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 PM
jeffyb

I'll drive my G in the winter. Really, it's just a car, keep it clean in the winter and get snow tires and you are good.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:36 PM
NotUrG
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jeffyb
I'll drive my G in the winter. Really, it's just a car, keep it clean in the winter and get snow tires and you are good.

I'm with you there! Too bad my winter wheels and tires are sitting at the dealership right now, waiting to go on my car (and its snowing here right now... Global warming what?!?!?) You are right- its just a car. Cars are horrible investments because they just depreciate like a tank no matter what you do to them. Yes it would be nice to have a winter car, but I'm not in a position to have 2 cars, and if I was, I'd rather put that money towards something else, like a house. People drive and have driven RWD cars in the snow for decades, with no problems, so driving a G37 with all of its traction assistance and some good winter tires will give me no problems!

My neighbor drives his AMG E55, 09 Porsche 911 C4S Cab and Porsche 996TT all winter long through the snow and ice, so I can definatley drive an Infiniti in the winter.

Last edited by NotUrG; 10-12-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 AM
Calgarywinger

+1. I live in Calgary Alberta. This morning woke up to 2" of snow and it was coming down hard. If I couldn't drive the G in the winter there would be no point in buying one.
I was hoping to get away with summer tires until at least the end of November, but it looks like I'll be scarmbling this week.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:47 AM
09G37xCpe

Driving mine this winter as well (picking it up tomorrow from the dealership!) It's an X though so hopefully it handles better in the snow (it's got to be better than my 1999 G20 it's replacing.) I'm actually putting the 20 in storage for a few months and then giving it to my stepson once he gets his full driver's license in the spring.

I think in the winter three letters will become a major part of my life...ONR.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:40 PM
DetroitG37Joe

What are tire bumps? Is it when tires get those random bumps on them that look like golf ball sized pimples? Is it necessary in the North to inflate to higher psi to avoid this? Also do I have to disconnect battery even if I plan on turning her on and warming her up 1-2x a week in the winter? As far as rodents go I don't think we have many near us so hopefully it'll be OK. Oil change I will do.

Do you really think we need stabilizer? It's Michigan, not Alaska, I just read at STA-BIL's site "The average gasoline is extended from 3 months oxidation life without STA-BIL to 15 months with STA-BIL" If gasoline's oxidation life is 3 months, and you garage beginning say Dec. 1, you would be good till early March. Though admittedly we do still have snow until about late March-early April. So I don't know...

Last edited by DetroitG37Joe; 10-14-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:43 PM
DetroitG37Joe

This site covers how to winterize a car VERY elaborately!!!! Canadian site so I'm sure they know what they're talking about.

www.TechGuys.ca | How to: Store a car for winter