Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Importing a G37s From the US into Canada

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Seymour Bush

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing a G37s From the US into Canada

I currently have a 2009 G37x coupe that I bought brand new in May. However, I am now looking for something a little sportier and am contemplating buying a 2007 and up G37s from the US as they are significantly cheaper than the G37s in Canda. I can get "more car" for the money out of the US than Canada. Not only will it be newer but it will also have fewer miles and be about the same price as a used G35 Coupe would be in Canada.

I know that the G37 can already be brought over the border without issues from Transport Canada and conforms to Transport Canada's rules in terms of having day time running lights, the correct bumpers unlike those of BMWs and Mercedes which are inadmissible and cost a pretty penny to make them admissible.

For the most part, it seems bringing over an Infiniti from the US is relatively easy and just requires a few modifications in order to make it compliant to Canada's laws.

Now, for the question. Does anyone make an aftermarket metric speedometer for the G37? I'm assuming that all I need is a faceplate in kilometers per hour rather than miles per hour. Anyone know of any companies that make something?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:56 PM
jeffyb

My G does not have daytime running lights so I would look into that!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 PM
jasbains.

OP, I made a thread about the speedometer conversion a while ago: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...canadians.html so check that out for some answers.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:44 PM
heff

u have an 09 and are looking at an 07 and think it will be newer? im confused lol any ways i brought mine over from wendel infiniti in spokane, it was super easy and all u need is daytime running headlights and canadian tire did that for me really quickly! as long as the border has ur info 72 hrs in advance FREEDOM REIGNS!!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:45 PM
nogoodname
Banned

you only need DRL to pass inspection. changing to primarily metric speedo is up to you. once the is brought into canada, you will have a some time to install the DRL before inspection date.its all done near the battery
PM "Mid-Life Crisis" as he had done this process already.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Seymour Bush

Originally Posted by jeffyb
My G does not have daytime running lights so I would look into that!
I guess I should have worded that differently. The G37 has a Body Control Module (BCM) which controls the various electrical components such as combination switch reading system, signal buffer, power consumption control system, auto light system, turn signal and hazard warning lamp system, headlamp system, parking, license plate and tail lamps system, front fog lamp system, exterior lamp battery saver system, daytime running light system, interior room lamp control, step lamp, front wiper and washer, door lock system, automatic drive positioner, rear window defogger, etc. BCM has combination switch reading function for reading the operation status of combination switches (light, turn signal, wiper and washer) in addition to a function for controlling the operation of various electrical components.
<O
It sounds like the dealer can simply activate the daytime running lights. They've been mandatory in <?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:country-region u2:st="on"><U1Canada </u1:country-region>for about a decade or so and I know that there are a lot of Infinitis being imported without having to spend an arm and a leg on getting them to pass inspection. For the most part, Infinitis comply with most of Transport Canada's <U1BS rules and regulations.

Originally Posted by jasbains.
OP, I made a thread about the speedometer conversion a while ago: https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...canadians.html so check that out for some answers.

Thanks a lot for the help. I really don't want to run a "rinky dink" system depending on a Garmin GPS that can tell approximate speed. I am also like you and not too fond of using the stock USDM dashboard with miles per hour being big and prominent and kilometers an hour being small. This is especially an issue on the older G37’s as the dashes are slightly different than the ’09 which are a lot easier to read. I guess this issue gives me one hell of an excuse to buy some Defi gauges as they have some heads up displays (Defi Link Display or the Defi Link VSD X). These seem to be the only viable options for us Canucks who want accurate speed. I guess I can start the transition into a tuner can begin a little prematurely…

Originally Posted by heff
u have an 09 and are looking at an 07 and think it will be newer? im confused lol any ways i brought mine over from wendel infiniti in spokane, it was super easy and all u need is daytime running headlights and canadian tire did that for me really quickly! as long as the border has ur info 72 hrs in advance FREEDOM REIGNS!!!!!
What I mean by buying newer is that the same $30,000-$35,000 I'd be spending on a G37 would only buy me a G35 Coupe in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:country-region>Canada versus buying a G37s from the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1US</ST1</st1:country-region>. A similar G37s at the Infiniti dealer in town is $42,500 Canadian while the ones I have my eyes on in the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1lace US </ST1</st1:country-region>with similar mileage and the same options are between $29,995-$32,000USD.

Last edited by Seymour Bush; 10-03-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 PM
heff

^new????? 0 miles on odo ????? i got mine last march for 40!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 PM
Seymour Bush

Originally Posted by heff
^new????? 0 miles on odo ????? i got mine last march for 40!

Nearly new. They have between 7000 and 12,000 miles depending on the year. I already bought a brand spanking new G37 off the lot and it was $55,000 Canadian after all the incentives, Diamond Coating on the glass, 3M film on the hood, front bumper, and mirrors and the all season floor mats. If I can let someone else take the brunt of the depreciation and get a car that is nearly new and pay less than half of what it goes for in Canada, it seems to be the most logical thing to do. I'm going to try and see if I can get any of the lower priced G37s on the spectrum for around $27,000USD cash. I guess I'll have to wait and see how desperate the dealerships are. There is no shortage of cars whatsoever and I don't mind waiting. I mean it's going to start snowing here pretty soon and I think the G37x is exactly what's needed to beat old man winter!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:03 AM
heff

ya soooo true lol cept u punks in cow town get nice chinooks from time to time...... haha
Old 10-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Seymour Bush

Chinooks are nice but they make the roads a mess. They typically melt everything but then it goes way below freezing and it turns into a skating rink. Calgary also doesn't use too much salt because it's bad for the environment. I live in oil rich Alberta... They do dump one ****load of gravel on the road though. I guess it's good that I have a very small rock chip in my windshield already so I won't feel too bad if I take a rock. I got it filled but it is just barely below the surface so they can't fill it in very well. I was told to drive it in the winter, turn on the defrost/heat the windshield up, wait for it to crack, replace windshield come spring.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:25 AM
heff

good ol alberta! im from lloydminster (AB side) love good ol oil towns : )
Old 10-03-2009, 12:34 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I am just not getting this at all... I understand the merit of buying the US, I did that and had the daytime running light conversion done. Have no need to have the Kms bigger that the MPH so the stock odo / speedo is fine for me.

I don’t understand the need to trade your 09x for an older rear wheel drive S. I know that the X is higher and heavier… is it that much of a dog that you would want to trade back? Especially since you have already taken the hit on depreciation?

As far as I know… the G37 and VVEL engine was only available from 2008 on… so good luck finding a 2007 model in the US.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:49 AM
Seymour Bush

Originally Posted by goredcar
I am just not getting this at all... I understand the merit of buying the US, I did that and had the daytime running light conversion done. Have no need to have the Kms bigger that the MPH so the stock odo / speedo is fine for me.

I don’t understand the need to trade your 09x for an older rear wheel drive S. I know that the X is higher and heavier… is it that much of a dog that you would want to trade back? Especially since you have already taken the hit on depreciation?

As far as I know… the G37 and VVEL engine was only available from 2008 on… so good luck finding a 2007 model in the US.
I'm not trading in the '09 G37x. I'm keeping that but I want a G37s that is better suited for a track application than an all wheel drive car that sits higher, is slightly heavier, and is automatic. I suppose I can get use to kilometers being smaller and I thought that the dash had to be changed in order to comply with Transport Canada. Since it doesn't, I guess I won't change it or at least I'll put it on the backburner for now. You're completely right about the VVEL being available from '08 on. My mistake.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:02 AM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Phew... thank goodness you are not dumping the X. As much as I like the S it was in the garage a lot last winter and I had to drive my 4WD truck. It is just not an Alberta winter friendly vehicle. Try looking in Arizona for a used 37S… there are a ton of them there and in mint condition. The dealer I bought from in Scottsdale had 70 coupes in stock… here the dealer is lucky to have 6.

You may already doing this… if you are tracking your car you should try Eneos oil… especially with the VVEL.<o></o>

Old 10-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Seymour Bush

The dealer in Calgary only had three G37x total. This included the one on the lot (no hi-tech package/nav/reverse cam) and two in storage which were fully loaded. I didn't get my preferred color (wanted black) but it was going to be shipped to Edmonton but could have been rerouted if I wanted to wait two months so I went with the diamond graphite. Overall, I'm very happy with my purchase and the color is great. Doesn't show dirt as bad as black but everything looks a hundred times sharper in black!

Who did you use out of Scottsdale in terms of a dealer and shipper and did the dealership do the legwork in terms of getting the car ready for shipping forwarding the documentation to customs and getting the car shipped from AZ to AB? I am hoping to buy something out of Nevada, Arizona, or California but I'd prefer it from either Nevada or Arizona.

Quick Reply: Importing a G37s From the US into Canada