G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How good is the G37x coupe in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:40 PM
rparamount

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, I live in Winnipeg, Canada, so we get craploads of snow and ice here. I drive a 2008 G37 S coupe with winter tires on 18" rims for the winter (Blizzaks) and they're fine. If I can drive my G in the winter up here in Canada with winter tires, I guarantee you that you shouldn't have a problem anywhere else.

Really the only issue is if you have a major blizzard and the snow is so deep that your car gets stuck in the snow because it's too low to the ground. But then that would happen whether you're RWD, FWD, or AWD anyways. On those days I just leave the car in the garage and grab a taxi to work or hitch a ride with my wife or friends. How many days out of the entire winter last year did I have to leave my car at home due to the snow being too deep? Only two days if I recall correctly. To me that's not so bad at all.

I used to use Nokian Hakkapeliitta winter tires on my old modified Altima and I can attest to the greatness of their tires too. Snow tires aren't just great for starting off from a stop, but they also help with the stability of your car in turns and decrease your braking distance in the winter. If you live in a winter climate make sure you buy winter tires, I can't stress that enough, as it makes for a safer driving experience.

-RP
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM
rocky

So, what is consensus? Does the x coupe really need snow tires?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:03 PM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by rocky
IMO, no. I even had the all season tires on my '05 coupe for 2 years.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as good as the sedan is
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM
s2ktoEvo

AWD is over rated. All AWD does is help you accelerate in the snow, it does NOT help you stop, it doesn't even really help you turn. I've had both the STI and Evo with winter tires, and my s2000 with winter tires did just as well. More people crash their awd vehicles around here in the snow than front or rear wheel drive cars. That false sense of security is a bitch.

And in case your wondering what I'm doing over on the dark side I have a g37 coupe .

Last edited by s2ktoEvo; 11-08-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM
SpartanG37S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with s2ktoEvo. AWD is overrated. I had a Jaguar X-Type Sport 5MT w/ AWD and snow tires. It was fine in the snow, but I also had a stint with a Mercury Milan w/o the AWD option with all season tires and it held its own just as well.

Why customers keep demanding AWD is beyond me. It creates a false sense of security, increases the cost of the car, increases the development of the car, which in turn increases costs for EVERYONE, increases weight, and decreases fuel mileage and reliability. Maybe it was just my Jaguar, but man the transfer case in that car had the strength of a toothpick. Replaced it TWICE.

If you don't drive like an idiot and have decent winter tires, you'll be just fine in the snow, whether you have RWD, AWD, or FWD.

How the hell have we been getting around ALL THESE YEARS without AWD?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rocky
Like any car with all seasons, they're ok in the winter but you really should get dedicated winter tires.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
hayblondie

they are awesome in the snow dont listen to anyone who says they arent.. i had a subaru tribeca and it is much better than that was in the snow and that was an SUV
Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Arvig

Originally Posted by beerme986
I would say get the g37s and buy some snow tires. Thats what I did and I'm in PA so I see my share of snow. I dont think Infinit awd is anything to brag about but getting the awd over the sport package on the coupe is almost a sin. Dont want to change your thread but would hate to see you regret not getting the sport package.
If he can wait for the 2011 Coupes or if he's willing to go with a sedan now, he can get a G37x with the sports package. Anyway, to answer the OP, I have a 2009 G37x Coupe (and no I didn't "sin" by not getting a G37s. :P ) and although our winter was unusually mild here (and we don't quite get midwest levels of snow) we do get our snow here, and yes I feel the AWD did help, using the tires that are stock on the G37x. Now did it mean I could just drive like the pavement was bone dry? Of course not, but it handled just better then my old car, a 2003 Acura CL type S, which was a FWD car.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Creepers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the AWD is performance inspired. it will have better traction than a RWD G. i may be wrong, but i believe the AWD coupe is faster than the G37s coupe to 60mph. it's definitely faster in the wet/snow.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by Arvig
If he can wait for the 2011 Coupes or if he's willing to go with a sedan now, he can get a G37x with the sports package. Anyway, to answer the OP, I have a 2009 G37x Coupe (and no I didn't "sin" by not getting a G37s. :P ) and although our winter was unusually mild here (and we don't quite get midwest levels of snow) we do get our snow here, and yes I feel the AWD did help, using the tires that are stock on the G37x. Now did it mean I could just drive like the pavement was bone dry? Of course not, but it handled just better then my old car, a 2003 Acura CL type S, which was a FWD car.

Hope that helps.
I'd bet you that your TL came with summer tires or all seasons, which make all the difference.

idk, AWD is a hard sale for me now that I've had it before and didn't see these huge benefits that many people on the internet rave about.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 PM
SpartanG37S

Originally Posted by Creepers
the AWD is performance inspired. it will have better traction than a RWD G. i may be wrong, but i believe the AWD coupe is faster than the G37s coupe to 60mph. it's definitely faster in the wet/snow.
This is what I thought as well. It's either the 37x is as fast or faster to 60, despite the weight penalty.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
G37MA

I am an owner of both the G37s and G37x and I think the X makes a world of difference. I've tried driving the S in snow and I don't think I could get around in a lot of the storms here in Boston, MA IMO even with a winter setup.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Arvig

Originally Posted by SpartanG37S
I'd bet you that your TL came with summer tires or all seasons, which make all the difference.

idk, AWD is a hard sell for me now that I've had it before and didn't see these huge benefits that many people on the internet rave about.
It was a CL Type S, which was the coupe version of the TL, 2003 was the last year Acura had a Coupe version of the TL (I think).

But they were all season tires. As are the tires on the G37x. On both the Acura and last year on my G37x I didn't use snow tires. But since both did come with all season tires, with regards to tires only that is roughly equal, the Acura didn't have worse tires for the snow to the best of my knowledge when compared to the G37x.

Now I'm not advocating that one can drive as if the roads are bone dry. And I know AWD has it's limitations too, I still drive as cautiously in my G37x as when I did in my Acura, and in any other car I've had, which I've had FWD, RWD and one other AWD car in the past. But I have noted enough of a difference that if a car I like is offered in an AWD version, I will get that option. Based on my experience and the cars I've owned since I was in my early 20's (I'm 43 now..as of today in fact. ) it has made a difference for me. A gigantic one? No. A notable one? Yes.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM
G37MA

As a side note I was in upstate NY for a wedding around the Hudson and there was an ice storm. The roads iced up and cars were sliding all over the place (I think last Fall) and my G was solid and made it all the way home with not a slip. I don't care if you have the best winter setup with a reg G you aint going anywhere.

For those guys who say the G doesn't need X to drive around the snow I would love for you to take me for a ride. When I had the S even with all seasons if the snow in the front of my car was resistant enough to drive through then I was stuck.

Quick Reply: How good is the G37x coupe in snow?