Sponsored By:

Took car in the other day....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:44 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took car in the other day....

Pretty decent service at Atlantic Infiniti:

Took car in because I had a persistent vibration (bad wheel balance) and a slight pull to the right (bad alignment). I got new tires put on at a local Firestone dealer (oem Bridgestones, oem sizes) and they tried 3 times to fix the alignment/balance issues to no avail. I finally got sick of dealing with incompetence and went to the dealer. I also had them look at a creak in the windshield, a vibration under braking in the steering wheel, told them about the nav system freezing a couple of times, and some water drops coming from under the glove box.

After several hours I finally called them and they said they would have to keep the car overnight (sucks because the G35 sedan loaner they gave me was a stripped out base model without even a sunroof). Next day they called and said the car was ready. Here's the breakdown:

-Wheel balance- Dealer said the wheels were out of balance but that the right front tire had a high road force rating (rf-20) and that it was impossible to totally fix the vibration. They said to contact the Firestone dealer I bought the tires from. Anybody ever heard of this? Anyway, the car rides much better now (though a slight vibration is still there).

-Alignment- Dealer said the alignment was way out in the front right and rear left. This is after having the Firestone place align it 3 times! Moral of the story is don't let a 3rd party install tires on a G37! I did have the Eibachs installed in March but the alignment now seems to be right.

-Water leak from glove box- Dealer checked all drains and said the few drops that came in the other day were most likely condensation formed on the exterior of the drains themselves. Haven't had a problem since.

-Nav freezing- Dealer said they had a TSB on this and installed updated software. Don't know if this included the new 09 maps or what but everything seems the same as before...

-Vibration under braking- Dealer said the front rotors were warped and replaced both under warranty. Car stops smoothly now.

All and all I'd give Atlantic Infiniti of Jacksonville FL a "B" for service (points off for the crappy loaner and the fact that I had to call 3 times for updates as they never called me).
Old 09-04-2009, 06:18 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Well at least they replaced your warped rotors under warranty, my local dealer told me those fall under consumables
Old 09-04-2009, 08:27 AM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
1. -Wheel balance- Dealer said the wheels were out of balance but that the right front tire had a high road force rating (rf-20) and that it was impossible to totally fix the vibration. They said to contact the Firestone dealer I bought the tires from. Anybody ever heard of this? Anyway, the car rides much better now (though a slight vibration is still there).

2. -Alignment- Dealer said the alignment was way out in the front right and rear left. This is after having the Firestone place align it 3 times! Moral of the story is don't let a 3rd party install tires on a G37! I did have the Eibachs installed in March but the alignment now seems to be right.

3. All and all I'd give Atlantic Infiniti of Jacksonville FL a "B" for service (points off for the crappy loaner and the fact that I had to call 3 times for updates as they never called me).
1. This is common. There is a way to reduce road force and/or get it into to a specified amount by rotating the tire around the rim to certain points the balancer instructs t=you too. Sometimes it works, and other times the tire is just too fvcked up. The machine should have a printer and the dealer should have given you a print out of it to take to Firestone, since it's likely they don't have a road force balancer. For future reference, always try to get your tires serviced at a shop that has a Hunter Road Force balancer. Research the balancer on google.

2. Some guys just don't know how to do alignments. Anyone can turn the adjustments, but you have to actually know what the stuff means. Even if a guy knew what he was doing, if their alignment machine was ****ty or out of calibration, it won't align correctly. There are several different factors that can lead to a crap alignment.

3. That's pretty ****ty of you to give them a B based on the loaner and lack of updates. The dealer isn't gonna call you every time they do something to the car. They don't have time for that. Believe it or not, but you are not the only customer they have. If it was several days they went without calling you, then ok; but 1 day? Give them a break. People need to have some patience and let them call you when they are done. Updating you every step of the way isn't gonna get it done any quicker. And be glad you get a loaner. Some dealers don't even give them! Just relax and be patient. A bugging customer is the most annoying thing!

I know what you mean about the loaner though. I had my car at the dealer last week for a rim replacement they messed up. They gave me a G35 loaner, stripped. I couldn't wait to get my car back. But I wasn't bugging them. I just let them do their thing and at the end of the day, they called me to let me know they needed it overnight since they had the wrong rim in stock. And the next day they called me when it was done. So I am sure they were gonna call you to tell you they needed to keep it. Just not as quick as you may have wanted.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:11 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire

3. That's pretty ****ty of you to give them a B based on the loaner and lack of updates. The dealer isn't gonna call you every time they do something to the car. They don't have time for that. Believe it or not, but you are not the only customer they have. If it was several days they went without calling you, then ok; but 1 day? Give them a break. People need to have some patience and let them call you when they are done. Updating you every step of the way isn't gonna get it done any quicker. And be glad you get a loaner. Some dealers don't even give them! Just relax and be patient. A bugging customer is the most annoying thing!.
Well, maybe they deserved a B+ but they kind of shrugged off a couple of my complaints as well. I totally wouldn't have minded them not getting back to me in a day but I live nearly 100 miles from the dealer and they said they would call and let me know if I needed to stay in Jax or if I could head home for the night. That was my only complaint about them not calling....