Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

dubbed by Infiniti?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 11:25 AM
anh3

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
dubbed by Infiniti?

is it me or the climate system on the 2008 G (coupe, don't know about the sedan) doesn't blow out, say 75 degrees, air when the display said "75?" It seem like the climate control have only two temp., cold or hot, as in when the display said 60 it is the same temperature when it said 77; no gradual degree of warmth or coldness. Even the 2007 Accord I had, have different noticeable degrees of cold and hot from the climate control.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine works great
Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 PM
aj2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have it checked out. Mine is fine
Old 08-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
I believe the temperature settings are for controlling the inside temperature (driver/ passenger) of the passenger compartment. The actual temperature of the air coming out of the vents may be different in order to achieve this overall goal. In other words if you set the climate control to 75 and it’s initially 100 in the car, the air would first come out well below 75.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:17 PM
DrJones

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ I agree. Chekov has been around the block a few times.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:23 PM
anh3

Originally Posted by Chekov
I believe the temperature settings are for controlling the inside temperature (driver/ passenger) of the passenger compartment. The actual temperature of the air coming out of the vents may be different in order to achieve this overall goal. In other words if you set the climate control to 75 and it’s initially 100 in the car, the air would first come out well below 75.
I have the same thought as you Chekov, but I want to find out for sure. This is why I am curious, I think almost all cars (especially ones with manual climate controls) have variant degrees of coolness and warmth with their climate control. I think Infiniti is going the 'cheap' route with their climate control system. I would have to call the dealer and ask, either mine is defective or Infiniti is selling it short to the G owners. My girlfriend's got a MBZ ML350 and it puts out coolness and warmth to the dial (also with my ex-88' Accord!); which makes me become very suspicious of the G.

update- I called the dealership and spoke to a service manager, her impression is that something is wrong and I am going to bring my car in for them to take a look at. But my inclination is still the same as what Chekov said - if true - it means we're short-changed by Infiniti. hopefully I am wrong and something is wrong with my climate control?!

Last edited by anh3; 08-29-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:25 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
are you running it w/ the a/C on or off? maybe your a/c needs to be charged up a bit.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:29 PM
anh3

my a/c works fine, but it just the variant in temperature settings that I am curious about; don't seem to have that degree differences. Its either very cold or hot, no in between. I have a preference of 72 degrees air blowing toward me than 60 degrees going full blast. But when the display said "62" or "72" or "80" it feels the same for me
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I completely agree with you ahn3. It pretty much goes directly from freezing cold to heat with not much differentiation in between. I notice the change comes at about 77 or 78 setting in my climate. Anything below that feels like Max A/C, above it is heat. Not much at all in between, no gradual change at all. Fortunately I live where Max A/C in necessary most of the time.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 PM
bluesun

I think the sun sensor in my car is always in the sun, so the system always blows super cold air on me. I gave up on the automatic system, just leave it on 60, and adjust the fan speed to my liking as the system starts producing cold air.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 PM
PhilH930

I completely agree as well. To me, this problem is further exaggerated when using 'Auto' mode aswell. My experience with Auto mode in my Audi and friends BMW's is a very passive system. In the G37, when I get back into my car and request 70, it blows out very cold at full fan speed and once at 70, it only lowers the fan speed by a couple of bars. At this time, I normally have to override Auto and reduce to fan speed 2. My Audi will automatically lower fan speed to maintain that comfort level.

They certainly could have done a better job on the climate control.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so you understand how an auto climate system works, the air flows through both the heater core and A/C evaporator and mixed to obtain the resulting air temperature. It's not an on/off switch for hot or cold. The heater core is always hot and the evaporator (assuming your A/C is on) is always cold. The Air Mix door in the plumbing moves to allow air to flow from both of these components in the controlled ratio to provide the desired mixed temperature air. If only cold air is desired the air mix door will move to one extreme and only allow air to flow throught the A/C evaporator. When only hot air is desired the air mix door moves to the other extreme allowing only air to flow through the heater core. The air mix door position is controlled by the system based on the various sensors (outside temp, inside temp, sun load sensor, intake sensor). So on a hot day the system will start out in full cold (air mix door at cold extreme) and as the car cools down and the interior sensors reports the temperature dropping the air mix door will start to move to mix the air temp as well as reduce the fan speed and air flow. Keep in mind if the sunload and external temp sensors indicate it's very hot outside the air mix door may vary the air temp only slightly and control the inside temp with the fan speed.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:29 AM
anh3

I think I have found the solution to my problem! So after reading the owner's manual yesterday, I turned off the Auto mode that Chekov described above. In other words, you can actually tells the system to blow out 75 degrees air and not 'full' climate control - full bast at 60 degrees until the cabin reaches 75 degrees from 98 degrees heat inside cabin...

Solution: Push the recirculate/fresh air button and hold it for about 3 seconds.

You can switch back to original factory setting 'auto' mode, i.e., cabin air is climate controlled and it'll blast 60 degrees air until the selected 75 degrees is achieved. Sorry to blame Infiniti instead of reading my manual first!

Last edited by anh3; 08-30-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree our A/C works "too well" sometimes. I normally use Auto when I first get in the car, but eventually it gets so freakin cold (even at 75) that I just manually adjust the fan speed setting myself.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by anh3
I think I have found the solution to my problem! So after reading the owner's manual yesterday, I turned off the Auto mode that Chekov described above. In other words, you can actually tells the system to blow out 75 degrees air and not 'full' climate control - full bast at 60 degrees until the cabin reaches 75 degrees from 98 degrees heat inside cabin...

Solution: Push the recirculate/fresh air button and hold it for about 3 seconds.

You can switch back to original factory setting 'auto' mode, i.e., cabin air is climate controlled and it'll blast 60 degrees air until the selected 75 degrees is achieved. Sorry to blame Infiniti instead of reading my manual first!
I now how to use the manual controls. The problem is that if it's 94 degrees outside and I set the system in Auto mode to 75, it should blow very cold air at high velocity only until the cabin temperature reaches 75 and then reduce fan speed and increase output air temperature to maintain 75 degrees. It doesn't do that very well. After 10 minutes or so (or however long it takes depending on cabin temperature) it should maintain the set temperature when set on Auto mode. It doesn't. It continues to blow freeing cold air at high velocity on all settings below about 78 or so. 30 minutes later the car is like a meat locker. I've tried different auto settings and they make no difference. So I end up using manual mode.

The problem isn't that the system doesn't blow cold enough, it's that Auto mode just doesn't regulate the temperature very well at all.

Quick Reply: dubbed by Infiniti?