Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

It IS possible to lock your keys.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 09:08 PM
2009G37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It IS possible to lock your keys.

Alright, so I wanted to share this with people so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Today, I left my keys in the car after opening the door, not worrying, because our cars are supposed to not be able to lock with the keys inside right? Well, the door slams back, but only partially closes. However, when it's in that state, you can't open the door, nor is the door complete shut such that the sensor kicks in to unlock the door!

I was luckily able to get my spare key, but yeah, I certainly learned my lesson there.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 PM
Retromoe

same thing goes for the trunk, leave the key in there and it wont lock.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Skydiver Nick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2009G37
Alright, so I wanted to share this with people so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Today, I left my keys in the car after opening the door, not worrying, because our cars are supposed to not be able to lock with the keys inside right? Well, the door slams back, but only partially closes. However, when it's in that state, you can't open the door, nor is the door complete shut such that the sensor kicks in to unlock the door!

I was luckily able to get my spare key, but yeah, I certainly learned my lesson there.
Why couldnt you use the unlock button on the other door?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Because if the key is inside the car, and someone was able to press unlock from outside, that kind of defeats the purpose of having a lock?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM
DJ Hellfire

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why couldn't you just push the door completely shut?
Old 08-03-2009, 10:13 PM
2009G37

I should elaborate - I did both. The first thing I did was push the button, and nothing happened. Thinking that the door needs to be fully closed, I push the door close, the window goes up, and still after pushing the button, nothing happens. The key was locked inside, and there was no way to get in except to use the spare key!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
DaCePtak0n

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never been able to lock the keys in my car and maybe I'm not technologically challenged so I had my date try it and she was unsuccessful. I had the keys in the trunk and once with the keys in the cupholder and no way would it lock...
Old 08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
There is a way to lock your keys in. Get out of the car, lock your doors. Open the trunk and put the keys inside. Close the trunk. Done. Keys locked in. Hope my DIY will help someone someday =P
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
ultra

It definitely is possible

Hi guys, saw this thread and had to post (my first even)

It definitely is possible. I was in Nashville (live in Atlanta) attending a trade show. I had placed my keys the outside of my backpack (wire mesh side pocket) for safe keeping. I get back to the car, which is locked, and press the button to open the trunk. I place the backpack in the back - key fob towards the roof - and close the lid. I walk up to the door, still locked, and press the handle. Nothing.

Deep sinking panic sets in . I tried pressing the door button, trunk button, etc. and nothing worked. Had to get a ride about 20 miles to the Infiniti dealer for a spare key to open the door.

I was amazed it didn't detect the key fob at all. It wasn't like it was deep inside the backpack, or underneath a bunch of stuff blocking the signal. Like the above post, maybe it was because it was already in a 'locked' state before I opened the trunk, and because of that it didn't stop the trunk from closing afterwards even though the fob was inside.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:38 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
So the door was locked when you shut it closed? i thought that it automatically unlocked when you shut it- regardless of whether the keys are in the car(?)- That is unless you hold the door handle open... But maybe I'm thinkin gabout my old car.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
w0ady

just leave your sunroof open and dive in.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:08 PM
SandManG37

Couldn't lock my key inside

Originally Posted by lilsnoozer
There is a way to lock your keys in. Get out of the car, lock your doors. Open the trunk and put the keys inside. Close the trunk. Done. Keys locked in. Hope my DIY will help someone someday =P
I did exactly this while demonstrating to a friend that I couldn't lock my keys in the car. I had the doors locked, windows closed and dropped my keys in the trunk and shut the lid. I then tried to open the trunk but it was locked. I pressed the trunk button and it stayed locked - heart skipped a few beats - this isn't supposed to happen, right? Started to feel pretty stupid right about then...

Then I went to the driver door and pressed the button and the door opened with a few chimes denoting your keys are in the car, dummy!

Needless to say, I was very happy and haven't done that demo again lately.

I may try purposely locking the one key in the car again while I have my second key in hand just to prove it to myself after reading some of these posts.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
shabbo
Registered Member

I'm starting to see a key battery low indicator. I guess that if the key battery starts to fade your chances of locking the keys in the car are higher.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:56 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

I have yet to find a way to lock my keys inside the car (mainly because I ALWAYS keep it in my pocket), but all of these posts make me want to test it out thoroughly. Just for chits 'n gigglez.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 PM
JaySpeed
Banned

I don't know if your guys cars are playing a joke on you or not. I have had my keys fall out of my pocket and my doors will not lock with the keys inside. I have also left my keys in my golf bag several times and when i slam the trunk the car beeps rapidly and the trunk automatically pops back open. One time i did not know why and i slammed the trunk two more times and it still popped open each time.

Besides who in the hell locks there doors before you get out of the car and shut the door, you deserve to have your keys locked inside for being an idiot. Infiniti cannot cure stupidity.

Quick Reply: It IS possible to lock your keys.