Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

How Practical is the Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 PM
jhoffman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How Practical is the Coupe?

I'm on my way to joining all you G37 owners in the next couple weeks and I think I'm leaning towards the coupe option, but I wanted to get some opinions on how practical it really is. I mean, if me and 3 buddies want to go play golf are we all going to be able to fit in the car (keeping in mind I'm 6'3") or is that an absolute no chance? How about my hockey bag? I know the sticks won't fit in the trunk but will the bag at least fit? I keep going back and forth in my head because the performance of the cars is almost identical. Also, I'm going to be spending the next couple years at business school, which could mean a fair amount of carpooling to school. I know the sedan would be better for that, but can I at least make the coupe work with it? Thanks.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:01 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
the g37 sedan is actually a tad bit faster than the coupe. if you're schooling, car pooling, and need trunk space, i think you need the sedan
Old 08-01-2009, 12:11 AM
MattsG37

Well first of all, I can only get my one golfbag in my car, with folding the seats down. Second I would never get a car so I can accomodate people. Get the car because you want it . And finally if I was considering between the coupe and sedan and went for a sedan, it would be between a G coupe and another sedan, i never like the look of the sedan, I think the Altima version is nicer.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:36 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhoffman
I'm on my way to joining all you G37 owners in the next couple weeks and I think I'm leaning towards the coupe option, but I wanted to get some opinions on how practical it really is. I mean, if me and 3 buddies want to go play golf are we all going to be able to fit in the car (keeping in mind I'm 6'3") or is that an absolute no chance? How about my hockey bag? I know the sticks won't fit in the trunk but will the bag at least fit? I keep going back and forth in my head because the performance of the cars is almost identical. Also, I'm going to be spending the next couple years at business school, which could mean a fair amount of carpooling to school. I know the sedan would be better for that, but can I at least make the coupe work with it? Thanks.
1) 3 friends? Noway unless they're midgets. Or kids. I'm 5'9" and my head hits the rear window. Leg room is okay as long as nobody tall sits in front.

2) I can fit 1 small- to normal-sized golf bag in the trunk (but I have to remove my driver and woods from the bag because with the club covers they're too long), and another set in the back seat. So you and one friend can go golfing.

3) The hockey bag will depend. The trunk height inside is about 12"... if you can flatten the stuff out in your hockey bag then it might fit. But you can always throw it in the back seats.

4) If your car is the carpool then it'll be a pain for your passengers to get into and out of the back; the front seats move very slooooooowly.

Basically, this car is very practical if it's just for you and/or you and a friend/significant other. Anymore and you'll be playing a game of tetris with your passengers and their stuff.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:38 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It sounds like you have already convinced yourself to get the sedan. And thats what i'd probably recomend for your situation. The coupe is fun and is fairly practical for the most part but for the things you described the sedan will probably be your best bet.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 AM
2009G37

Which ever car you get, just make sure you're getting it for yourself, and not for your buddies so you can carpool them.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:53 AM
simplyInstincts

in this situation...sedan
Old 08-01-2009, 07:11 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
+1 to getting the car for yourself, you can go golfing with your buddies in their cars

I actually find it a nice excuse sometimes, "sorry you guys won't fit in the back". I like to keep my car clean and people getting in the back usually push/pull/hit against the driver seat (which makes me want to kill them sometimes lol) and mess up the place in the back which is why I try to avoid it as much as I can
Old 08-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Nicksan

Originally Posted by G37Sam
+1 to getting the car for yourself, you can go golfing with your buddies in their cars

I actually find it a nice excuse sometimes, "sorry you guys won't fit in the back". I like to keep my car clean and people getting in the back usually push/pull/hit against the driver seat (which makes me want to kill them sometimes lol) and mess up the place in the back which is why I try to avoid it as much as I can
Hahaha, so true.

Sometimes I tell them that people sittin in the back will cause some rubbing in the rear.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Pip

Take your hockey bag, etc. to the dealer and actually find out if the stuff will fit.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Before I purchased my G37, I was on the way to Solvang and spotted an Infiniti dealer in the Ventura area. I decided to stop and take a look at their inventory. At first, my two passengers didn't realize there were two different models on the lot, coupes and sedans. When I told them, they noticed there were both two and four door models. Then, one of them said a relative drives a G, but, couldn't remember if the relative's car was a two or four door(!)
I believe you will see major differences between the two models, once you own one. But, most of the world doesn't know the difference between a Bently and a Chrysler 300, much less a G37 coupe and sedan, -unless they are back seat passengers. My choice would be to get the car that can be used for the purpose you intend. The sedan and coupe have very similar performance. In my opinion, the coupe is more "youth / fun" and the sedan more "executive / refined" in appearance. Each a good choice for the right person.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Another option that would keep it in the family is the new Maxima sedan. That redesign is hot. I'm not a fan of the G sedan as much as the Maxima (but I have to remember the Maxima's engine isn't as powerful as the G37). But above all others, I'd say get the car YOU want....not based on friends who could drive their cars to the golf course.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:53 AM
WhosUrBuddiee
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are not going to fit 3 friends into a coupe. But you can fit 3 hot females.

Personally I think the G37 sedan is ugly. I would look at CTS-V if I had to get a sedan.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
You are not going to fit 3 friends into a coupe. But you can fit 3 hot females.

Personally I think the G37 sedan is ugly. I would look at CTS-V if I had to get a sedan.
I like the way this dude thinks. And yes, 3 hot girls fit in this car very nicely.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Danny Boy

Driving the G Coupe is about a life style and fun. It is totally out of the question if you have four adults and their golf bags in mind. I am not sure if the G 4-door would take four golf bags in the trunk either. The Coupe will accommodate two golfers comfortably (with the back seat down). I don’t play hockey, but I see no reason why you can’t fit your equipment including the sticks in the back seat.
<O</O
You are obviously a nice guy thinking about your buddies and car pooling. If car pooling is a must and you want your passengers to be comfortable, don’t rule out a mini van. Some of SUV or mini vans will take four hockey players including their equipment and take you 0-60 in under 8 seconds. LOL

Quick Reply: How Practical is the Coupe?