Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Temperature Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:26 PM
SilverBullet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 and heat...Temp gauge issues

So I have been noticing the last couple days that it seems like as I accelerate and drive harder, the temperature gauge goes up as well. For example, as I was driving today red light to red light, my temperature gauge went from 107 to 116 in a matter of seconds and then when I drove a long stretch it started to come back down again. I noticed this same thing yesterday. I was driving in the afternoon and my temp gauge kept climbing while driving through the city and it topped 130. As I drive on the highway however, it cools to 114. Is the car just picking up the heat from the cement, and cools as it picks up air on the highway?

Also, as soon as I got home and was about to pull into the garage, the car was idling, all of a sudden the rpms dropped and it felt as if it was about the stall and then jumped back up and the check engine light came on. I read the codes and it said running lean bank 1 and 2. I reset the codes and drove around again and the codes popped up again.

I am running a custom tune, so I switched to a stock style map on the cobb accessport and have driving around a little bit, but the codes have not popped up again. It seems light my car does not like the heat at all. Whenever I drive in the afternoon, the car is very sluggish and unresponsive. Most days, I do not bother to even drive it because it is too hot. Any suggestions as too what is going on, and what I should do? Thanks.

Last edited by SilverBullet; 07-29-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM
SilverBullet

Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Are you talking about the outside temperature thermometer?
Old 07-28-2009, 11:27 PM
SilverBullet

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Are you talking about the outside temperature thermometer?
Yes, the one that is selected on the center screen. It does not seem to stay at a single temperature for very long. It changes very often. I understand it will fluctuate, but it will jump a few degrees and then come back down.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Maybe the sensor isn't reading properly is all I can come up with. Unless you are having other issues, I don't know how it would be anything other than a sensor. Does it do this all the time or just sometimes?

If it always does it, it would be pretty easy to have the dealership look at it. If it's sporadic, it may be difficult to duplicate the condition unless you leave you car with them.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:23 AM
SilverBullet

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Maybe the sensor isn't reading properly is all I can come up with. Unless you are having other issues, I don't know how it would be anything other than a sensor. Does it do this all the time or just sometimes?

If it always does it, it would be pretty easy to have the dealership look at it. If it's sporadic, it may be difficult to duplicate the condition unless you leave you car with them.

It does this often. I just took my car out now and the temp went up as I drove it hard from 102 to 107. Where is the sensor located. As the sensor temp increases, how does the car react? Does it pull timing in relation to the outside temp? If it is related, that might explain the other problems I have with my car during the heat of the day.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:26 AM
SilverBullet

I also forgot to add that when my car was throwing codes, it was emitting this very odd smell. It did not smell like a regular gas smell. It was something that I had not smelled before and is difficult to describe. It was putrid and raunchy and strong. It took hours for my garage to air out. It was also the hottest day of the year out here when my car started having these issues.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 AM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I also forgot to add that when my car was throwing codes, it was emitting this very odd smell. It did not smell like a regular gas smell. It was something that I had not smelled before and is difficult to describe. It was putrid and raunchy and strong. It took hours for my garage to air out. It was also the hottest day of the year out here when my car started having these issues.
Aside from the smell, did the exaust look different? Was it a specific color? If it was a white or grey color it would suggest that perhaps you have a small head gasket issue as you burn anti-freeze which can be a pretty noxious smell...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:24 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have several separate issues. As for the temp sensor, did you recently have any work done near the radiator area? I'm not sure where the sensor is on this car but it's usually in the front of the car somewhere near one off the grill openings. If the sensor was moved or has dislodged from it's mount it may be getting high temps because it's up against the radiator.

Your other issues with CEL and smell should have nothing to do with that.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
SilverBullet

The only thing done near the front of my car was my Injen CAI. I had to move it around a couple weeks ago to get my strut bar in, thats all. My exhaust didnt look different. I am running the Greddy TI-C. Maybe it is just the extreme heat and sun during the day? At night my car seems okay. I think the sun maybe the culprit. Again I am in the desert. Ever since I switched to the stock style map on the Cobb, I had no codes and no weird smells. So I switched back to my custom map and drove it around, and it did not throw any codes or make any weird smells.

Does anyone know exactly where the temp sensor is located and what is looks like so I can check it out? Thanks.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM
AldinG37s

Hey,

i saw this happen with my car - and i havent added any aftermarket parts to it. i havent paid close attention to it lately but i will. ill keep you posted if i see this drastic jump up and down again i will take mine in.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM
SilverBullet

Originally Posted by AldinG37s
Hey,

i saw this happen with my car - and i havent added any aftermarket parts to it. i havent paid close attention to it lately but i will. ill keep you posted if i see this drastic jump up and down again i will take mine in.

Ya Im curious to know what is going on. I am very hesitant to take my car in, because the dealership here is not good and they seem to mess up something else while they are trying to fix a broken part.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
G-ThirtySe7en

edit: Oops. Just read you have a custom tune.

Last edited by G-ThirtySe7en; 07-29-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:02 PM
SilverBullet

Originally Posted by G-ThirtySe7en
If you read their website, the Cobb maps weren't designed for Intakes. Makes sense why you are lean and is confirmed by the problem going away by using the stock map. Honestly, I've read of too many problems w/ the Cobb and not much of a gain w/o a custom tune so I'd just uninstall it.
I am not running any of the pre-set maps. I had a custom dyno tune done and have a map just for my mods. Everything was fine with the map and the car was running okay, until the other day. But it was the hottest day of the year and my car temp told me it was 130 outside.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
G-ThirtySe7en

Yea realized after I hit "submit". sorry I think you would want to talk to your tuner, they'd probably know best what's going on. I don't know and am just guessing, but I can imagine the MAF sensors not being as accurate at real hot temperatures.

As far as those outside temperature gauges, from what I've seen, their calibration definitely gets out of whack at extreme temperatures. I doubt it was really 130.

Quick Reply: Temperature Gauge