Sponsored By:

Whats with the AC/Circulation mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats with the AC/Circulation mode?

Why is it that in my 08 G37s I can't have the circulation mode on with just fans not have to turn the AC on. In other words, any time I have the fans on and i switch to circulation, the AC goes on.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:48 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GT35R
Anyone else have this problem?
It is not a problem. That's how the system is supposed to work. You do not want the interior air constantly recirculated without being run through some sort of "conditioning" device otherwise you'll continually be breathing your exhaled carbon dioxide.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:31 PM
cmori

I'm pretty sure there is no oxygen injected in the air in recirculating mode

You will be breathing your CO2 A/C on or not. But the car is just not perfectly air tight, and there might be some outside air coming in even in recirculate mode, so you will be fine.

This really sounds like a feature, not a bug. Recirculate mode should be used to cool down faster since you will recirculate cooler air into the cabin again. Otherwise you most likely want fresh air from the outside coming in (except when you're behind that old VW with a smelly exaust ).
Old 07-23-2009, 10:12 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I think - and I could be wrong, so someone in the know can correct me if need be - it removes the humidity in the air which prevents the car from steaming up.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Recirculating air can cause fogging, so A/C is turned on automatically to prevent that from happening. This is a convenience feature, even though you may not always want it.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:16 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by psyh
Recirculating air can cause fogging, so A/C is turned on automatically to prevent that from happening. This is a convenience feature, even though you may not always want it.
I dont want it at all, its a piece of crap. I want to cool down the cabin air with a/c, shut the a/c off, then recirculate the damn air so i wont have to waste fuel on over freezing myself.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:33 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Then just turn the AC temp down so the compressor doesn't turn on as much. If you turn it off and on, the AC actually works harder, burning more fuel, instead of just leaving the AC on to regulate the temp.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM
notalk

Originally Posted by GT35R
I dont want it at all, its a piece of crap. I want to cool down the cabin air with a/c, shut the a/c off, then recirculate the damn air so i wont have to waste fuel on over freezing myself.
So, basically, what you are saying is "I don't understand any of this, but, I want it to work the way I want it to work."
Old 07-24-2009, 10:57 AM
SkyMG37x
Registered Member

Something doesn't seem right here. You should definitely be able to set the recirc mode without the A/C coming on. What does force the A/C to come on is if the MODE is set to DEFOG which also only allows the intake to be set to fresh air.

Turning the A/C off alone doesn't put you in Manual mode - the other functions are still in AUTO. Turn the A/C off, hit the Fan Speed to set it manually, hit the Mode to set it manually, then the Intake to Recirc. This is according to the 09 user's manual.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
Something doesn't seem right here. You should definitely be able to set the recirc mode without the A/C coming on. What does force the A/C to come on is if the MODE is set to DEFOG which also only allows the intake to be set to fresh air.

Turning the A/C off alone doesn't put you in Manual mode - the other functions are still in AUTO. Turn the A/C off, hit the Fan Speed to set it manually, hit the Mode to set it manually, then the Intake to Recirc. This is according to the 09 user's manual.
That damn owner's manual, it wins every time