Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Car sounds like a helicopter??? Super loud belt noise. Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the TSB preformed on my car before the whole "ester Oil" craze. After that I changed to Eneos and haven't had the sound return since.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:53 PM
ashishxpatel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car is at the Dealership. They mentioned they were going to reprogram the ECU? I noticed several of you mention TBS? I'm not a car guy but is that something else that needs to be fixed on top of the ECU? I also told them about the ester oil, which normally would cost $150? but they said it would be free only this time? I mean if that's the fix and car continue to have the same issue, shouldn't they cover that under the warranty until I have the warranty?

I don't hear that kinda stuff on 20 year old cars with 200,000 miles on it.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:13 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ LOL. Ok, "TBS" is a cable television station that airs reruns of Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. Sorry, had to do it!

A "TSB" is a Technical Service Bulletin which outlines a customer complaint, the known issue to be the problem, and the fix. Nothing engine related, in a way it's kinda like how Microsoft/Apple releases software updates to fix known problems, but it's not like a recall. That clear as mud?

And I agree, I think Infiniti should provide Ester Oil at no additional charge for a customer that has the VVEL knocking sound in their engine if that is their solution for it. My opinion, have the ECU reprogrammed (your car's "brain"), let them give you a free Ester oil change, then move to a quality synthetic (Group IV/V like Amsoil, Motul, RLI Biosyn, etc) as Gamedog suggested, and you should be good!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:33 AM
smalls'g37

I get that noise too. However as someone stated earlier, I only get it when its really warm out.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM
G_iantkiller

Yesterday, I took my '09 Gc in for an oil change. So far, so good with the VVEL knocking. However, in doing my research as to whether or not I should have them put the ester oil in the car, I came across this thread. Since I've had no knocking, I did not purchase the ester oil.

Here's my related question: Does anyone know what differentiates some people's G's from others...when it comes to this knock? I bought my car in May of this year, and, as I mentioned, have not heard this loud, helicopter sound. Since they are all the same car, are there any commonalities re: those having the problems, such as year of car, VIN range, etc.?

I'm curious as to why some exhibit the knock, but others do not. I appreciate any insights or thoughts. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 AM
nestle_!9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
^^^ LOL. Ok, "TBS" is a cable television station that airs reruns of Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, etc. Sorry, had to do it!

A "TSB" is a Technical Service Bulletin which outlines a customer complaint, the known issue to be the problem, and the fix. Nothing engine related, in a way it's kinda like how Microsoft/Apple releases software updates to fix known problems, but it's not like a recall. That clear as mud?

And I agree, I think Infiniti should provide Ester Oil at no additional charge for a customer that has the VVEL knocking sound in their engine if that is their solution for it. My opinion, have the ECU reprogrammed (your car's "brain"), let them give you a free Ester oil change, then move to a quality synthetic (Group IV/V like Amsoil, Motul, RLI Biosyn, etc) as Gamedog suggested, and you should be good!
HAHAHAH i had to smile to when i saw the TBS
Old 09-25-2009, 11:11 AM
focker

Men should not use the word "super"
Old 09-30-2009, 02:54 PM
ashishxpatel

Originally Posted by ashishxpatel
Car is at the Dealership. They mentioned they were going to reprogram the ECU? I noticed several of you mention TBS? I'm not a car guy but is that something else that needs to be fixed on top of the ECU? I also told them about the ester oil, which normally would cost $150? but they said it would be free only this time? I mean if that's the fix and car continue to have the same issue, shouldn't they cover that under the warranty until I have the warranty?

I don't hear that kinda stuff on 20 year old cars with 200,000 miles on it.
Ok so the same noise is back again after doing the ECU reprograming and ester Oil change. I didn't have the noise for about a month and thought it was fixed.

Dose anyone else have any other suggestions.

This can not be normal.